Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default NBA Thought of the Day: May

Why did the Mavs fire Avery Johnson for Rick Carlisle again? Should be interesting to see if Dirk bails on Dallas this summer or not.

Wow the Bucks were just atrocious last night.

It was nice to see the Thunder not go down without a fight last night. Russell Westbrook is the guy to keep an eye on for that team over the next couple of years.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 05-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Westbrook and Durant could easily become the best one, two punch in basketball.

And now Atlanta has won a road game and lost a home game...are they really any good? No, Fear the Deer.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
Old 05-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Doesn't really matter who wins the Hawks/Bucks series they will lose to Orlando in no more than 6 anyway. Cleveland, Orlando, and Boston are the only three I thought had a real shot at coming out of the East anyway. The rest are basically playoff fodder.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

yeah well Cleveland is losing to Boston by 21 right now, and that does make me very happy.

Lebron may be the MVP but Cleveland will NEVER win a championship.

Ohh and Kobe scored 13 the Lakers beat the Thunder. Than Kobe scored 31 on 12-19 shooting. Nice to see Kobe isn't needed to win games, and when he is needed, he comes through.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

ANNNNNNNNND Kobe goes off again. Seems like maybe his "troubles" were a bit overhyped.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
Lebron may be the MVP but Cleveland will NEVER win a championship.
Not with Mike Brown as their head coach no. I can't help but wonder how many games the Cavs would win if they had a coach who had a clue over on the bench. Brown will be gone of the Cavs fail to make the Finals again this year.

As for Kobe, who do the Jazz really have that can guard Kobe anyway? Wes Matthews certainly isn't going to stop him and without Kirilenko and Okur on the floor Kobe is free to just attack the basket. Utah in general looks like it has already given the series to the Lakers and has no interest in even trying to defend them.

How about the Hawks failing to even show up last night? This should probably be Woodson's last go around on the bench for the Hawks. This team seems to have gone as far as it can with him as their head coach.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Maybe Cleveland can sway a GOOD coach. Well if LBJ stays anyways. How does a team with Shaq, LBJ, and Antwan Jamison look so content to just stand around and let Lebron do ALL THE WORK. Mo doesn't show up in the playoffs, Hickson and Varejao are intense tho, and I love the both of them. I don't see any reason for LBJ to stay in Cleveland especially with Brown on the bench.

Who's going to stop the Lakers now? Phoenix can't defend, so Kobe will go off for 30 a night versus them. Denver is out, Utah's given up. San Antonio, I'm sorry but they ARE old.

Atlanta did fail to show up. Am I the only one who feels the Bucks would have given the Magic a tougher game last night? I know the Hawks won fair and square but it was a VERY pathetic game and I couldn't even watch it.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
Maybe Cleveland can sway a GOOD coach. Well if LBJ stays anyways. How does a team with Shaq, LBJ, and Antwan Jamison look so content to just stand around and let Lebron do ALL THE WORK. Mo doesn't show up in the playoffs, Hickson and Varejao are intense tho, and I love the both of them. I don't see any reason for LBJ to stay in Cleveland especially with Brown on the bench.
One can say the same about the Lakers at times though too, especially if they are losing in the 4th. The offense tends to turn into Kobe running around like crazy forcing up bad shots because he teammates are just standing around disengaged from the whole process.

Well, the system is set up such that Cleveland can give him the most money so that would be one reason to stay other than his roots being in Ohio.

When it gets right down to it, what teams that have the money to be able to sign LeBron have more to offer in terms of supporting talent than Cleveland does?

Quote:
Who's going to stop the Lakers now? Phoenix can't defend, so Kobe will go off for 30 a night versus them. Denver is out, Utah's given up. San Antonio, I'm sorry but they ARE old.
The only thing Phoenix has going in its favor is they can score with anyone and the Lakers have not seemed that interested in playing a lot of defense thus far. The fact of the matter is the Suns have given up fewer 100 point games in the playoffs than the Lakers have thus far.

Yeah, the Spurs are old, but the playoffs are kind of designed so the older teams can win. It is not like the regular season where teams are consistently playing back-to-back nights. In some cases teams are off two days bewteen games.

Quote:
Atlanta did fail to show up. Am I the only one who feels the Bucks would have given the Magic a tougher game last night? I know the Hawks won fair and square but it was a VERY pathetic game and I couldn't even watch it.
I doubt it, especially without Bogut in the lineup. The Bucks don't have anyone who can handle Howard and the last two times they played the Magic won by 17 and 25 points. Jennings was brutal going up against Jameer Nelson this year and they stand no chance without he and Bogut on their A game.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Phoenix can score with the Lakers, but when it comes down to it who's Phoenix got in the clutch? Kobe or anyone who Phoenix has? I am taking Kobe in the fourth.

The Playoffs are designed for older teams, sure, but the competition isn't, do you think the Spurs can beat the Lakers? The Spurs are good, no doubt, but they aren't the team they once were, and the Lakers are better than they used to be.

I don't think the Bucks would have won, but I think they could have gotten closer to the Magic than the Hawks did. Without Bogut the Bucks are NOT a contender, with him they are. With Bogut the Bucks would have won the series versus the Hawks, without him they should have been swept. The Hawks are not being coached properly at all, and the Bucks, well they are, and they would have gotten closer IMHO.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Even with Bogut the Bucks are not a real contender in the East. With Bogut in the lineup they were 9-10 against Eastern playoff teams and 1-5 against Orlando and Cleveland and the game they won against Cleveland came without LeBron in the lineup.

The Bucks don't have a guy who steps up and carries them against the big boys. Jennings was brutal against the Cavs and Magic and just okay against the Celtics. He really struggles to score against the better point guards in the league and was not a good player on the road.

The Bucks are a collection of a a few nice players but they do not have an established franchise player they can rely on to drop 30 on another team when they need him to. I think Jennings has the potential to be that guy but he is clearly not close to being there yet.

Honestly, the difference in talent between the Bucks and Bobcats is negligible. However, I like the Bucks chances going forward a lot more than the Bobcats simply because Jennings is only 20 and has more upside than anyone Charlotte has and Bogut is only 25 and should have a few more good years left in him if he can stay healthy.

Until the Bucks find that guy who is going to step up and be a franchise caliber player they are always going to be in the 5 to 8 playoff seed range in the East.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Yes, but they can beat the 4th seed. So if they can develope Jennings and Bogut they are a team that'll be a contender for years to come. And I think the Bucks have a good coach, and a good enough staff to develop Jennings, and develop Bogut more.

They've also still got Micheal Redd if he can stay healthy. Luc Ricard Mbah a Mount is the Bucks defensive stopper, and he's a good player. John Salmons seems to be a good starter. So if Redd, or Jennings, or Bogut can assert themselves and become the "star" the team can contend.

P.S. the Pistons proved that you don't need a star to win a championship.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think it is a bit of a stretch to say they can beat the fourth seed. Keep in mind the Celtics were the #4 team this year, the Hawks were the third seed and just beat the Bucks in the first round of the playoffs.

I'd say they can compete with Boston and Atlanta in the playoffs but they are not where they can beat them in the playoffs. It is one thing to be able to beat teams in the regular season, but the playoffs is a compeltely different animal.

After this season I expect that Boston is going to start dropping even further back to the pack unless they make another blockbuster move to reshape the roster as guys like KG and Ray Allen are still good but clearly past their prime.

However, the Bucks are nowhere close to being able to hang with the Magic and Cavs in the postseason.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Redd being anything more than a role player if and when he comes back. He turns 31 this summer and is coming off back-to-back years where he tore both the ACL and MCL in the same knee. Even before he got hurt this past season he was not playing for crap to begin with. Wing players like Redd typically peak in their early 30s and with a bad knee odds are he will never be the elite scorer he was two or three years ago.

Salmons and Bogut kind of are what they are. Unless Bogut ever gets to where he is playing 35 to 38 minutes a game or starts figuring out how to get to the line I doubt he ever becomes a guy who is anything more than a 15 to 16 ppg scorer. Bogut is a nice player but he is not one of those aggressive types who attacks the basket and gets to the line like Shaq and Duncan used to do and Howard does today.

Salmons is a nice player as well but he is never going to be a 25 ppg scorer and is too inconsistent. He struggles to get his shot off against the better defensive teams in the league. He is 30 as well which means he probably only has two or three years left as a good starting player in the NBA.

The thing is Milwaukee has zero cap space this summer to be able to make any significant moves unless they can find someone to take Redd's contract off their hands in a sign-and-trade deal. He has a player option for $18 mil and I have a hard time believing he is going to opt out of that coming off of major knee surgery for the second straight summer.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, so much for the Cavs being in dire straits....
Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #14
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Yes that was dissappointing, Celtics did NOT show up. And in Boston too.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I was pretty impressed at how the Suns battled back from 12 down in the first and just took the Spurs apart in the second half of that game.

This is not to say that I think these will be the two teams in the finals, but the Suns and Magic are playing the best ball right now.
Closed Thread