Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road
Default Tragedy Strikes Yankees

George Steinbrenner is dead at age 80 of a massive heart attack.

Thoughts?

Steinbrenner was a revoloutionary and changed baseball forever. I will be the first to tell you how much I hate and despise the Yank's but Steinbrenner was important for baseball and the evoloution of the game. While I don't like the Yanks or Steinbrenner that much I respect what he did for this game.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

George did so much for the Tampa Bay area, he will never be forgotten.

RIP
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think he got a bad rap, but ultimately he was ruthless and did anything to win, and you have to admire him for that. It's sad, but not shocking. Steinbrenner has been out of the public spotlight for a while now. But seeing the Boss looking down on the Yankees is an image that's engrained in my head.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

The Boss did so much for charity, more than we even ever knew about, and he changed baseball forever.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I think he got a bad rap, but ultimately he was ruthless and did anything to win, and you have to admire him for that. It's sad, but not shocking. Steinbrenner has been out of the public spotlight for a while now. But seeing the Boss looking down on the Yankees is an image that's engrained in my head.
Yeah, there was a reason he handed control of the team over to his boys a couple of years ago. His health had been in decline for a while now.

He got a bad rap because he was banned from the league twice.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

He did a lot for the Yankees, but I think his high spending ruined the game of baseball to some degree. I really miss the player who sticks with the same team for the majority of his career.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think it hurts the game to a degree as well. It is boring when teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. get all of the big name free agents simply because they have the ability to spend whatever it takes to get them.

One of the things I like about the NBA and NFL is the big time teams like the Cowboys and the Lakers can't simply go out and buy every player they can get their hands on simply because they can afford to spend twice as much as any other team.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

That being said I love baseball because a team like the Rays who had a salary lower than that of A-Roid can make it to the World Series when everyone is doubting them.

There are underdogs in Baseball, the teams that pay next to nothing and win.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

True but the problem, in the past, with underdog teams like the Rays and Marlins who come out of nowhere to win is they typically go away the next season. There is no sustained excellence because once the players they develop get to where they have to be paid they are either traded or end up signing with a higher profile team like the Yankees, Mets, or Red Sox.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

True but in the Nineties the Indians had a long run of success, and does anyone doubt that the Rays success will be multi-year. Now the Rays technically "went away last season" because they didn't make the postseason, but in any other division they win it. Playing with the Sawx and Yanks just means that only two of the three make the playoffs, however, TB had an outstanding year last season. I think those three powerhouses need to get split up, no division is stacked like the AL East.

The Reds are having a pretty good year, and with the team they have that could be a team to watch out for years to come. The Natinals are on the rise with a low cap.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

His high spending may have majorly contributed to the lopsided landscape of MLB, but if you were him, wouldn't you do the same thing? How can you blame him for spending what it took to win? Blame the system, not Steinbrenner. Baseball needs a salary cap.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
True but in the Nineties the Indians had a long run of success, and does anyone doubt that the Rays success will be multi-year. Now the Rays technically "went away last season" because they didn't make the postseason, but in any other division they win it. Playing with the Sawx and Yanks just means that only two of the three make the playoffs, however, TB had an outstanding year last season. I think those three powerhouses need to get split up, no division is stacked like the AL East.

The Reds are having a pretty good year, and with the team they have that could be a team to watch out for years to come. The Natinals are on the rise with a low cap.
That was only because the Indians were willing to bite the bullet and spend to keep their players. I will not be convinced of the Rays commitment until I see what they do with Carl Crawford this summer and eventually Even Longoria. If they fail to make a competitive bid to Crawford then their success will be short lived as guys like Crawford, Longoria, and Price leave the franchise for better contracts. The Rays are still mostly doing it with home grown talent.

The Nats are doing better because they have actually started spending a little cash to get better.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

First Bob Sheppard, then the Boss. The only thing that could make this worse is if Jeter tests positive for PEDs.
I am not a huge Yankee fan, but I do respect them.
I agree that the Boss did great things for Tampa. Without his generousity, Tampa Bay area youth athletics would not be in the condition they currently are. The area had a problem and George came up with a solution, sometimes by writing checks, sometimes by showing the area what to do.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
dagulskie
Sports Enthusiast

dagulskie is on a distinguished road
Default Tragedy Strikes Yankees

George had make the yanks and the league a better team to a great sport. His death is great loss to the MLB.
dagulskie is offline   Reply With Quote