Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 07-22-2002, 07:00 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Baseball strike: September 16th, 2002

Quote:
Union denies setting strike date

http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball...22/417169.html

NEW YORK -- Baseball players are still at least 10 days away from considering possible strike dates.

In a memorandum sent to players Monday, union head Donald Fehr said no decision on a date has been made, despite a report that one was tentatively set. A union official, speaking on condition he not be identified, said the executive board wouldn't consider setting a date until August at the earliest.

The Los Angeles Times reported Monday that players had tentatively set Sept. 16 as the start of what would be the sport's ninth work stoppage since 1972. A strike date that late would give the sides only a week or two to save the World Series, which is threatened with cancellation for the second time in nine seasons.

"The executive board has not considered a date. It won't for a while," Fehr said in Cincinnati, where he met with players on his tour of the 30 clubs. "We hope we don't have to. We hope we reach an agreement."

The union, seeking an agreement to replace the deal that expired Nov. 7, would consider setting a strike date because it fears that if the season is played to completion, owners would change work rules after the World Series or lock them out.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 01:40 AM   #2
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I won't believe it until I officially see it. Maybe I'm a dreamer and an optimist, but I still have hope.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 02:08 AM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

This would be the worst thing that has ever happened in the game of baseball. A strike now would undo all the good that baseball did last year, after the Sept 11 events. Baseball helped a grieving country return to something resembling normalcy. Baseball should take a bow for helping and I hope that intelligence wins out in the negotiations.
I am an optimist, too, and hope that something can be done to settle the labor dispute.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 02:16 AM   #4
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

I hope there is a strike.

I hope the fans stay away.

I hope the players realise that they get paid an obscene amount of money for playing a game.

I hope the owners/MLB realise that without the fans ... there is no game.

I hope I with the 649 this weekend.

I hope that we get world peace by 6pm Friday.

I hope that people understand sarcasm....

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 10:21 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Players Association are now denying these "September 16" reports . . . . . .
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:39 AM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yes, and is anyone surprised they are? It's always a battle back and forth between these two groups. Now they are saying it will be announced in August.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 12:26 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Well I don't even understand how a strike date could've been settled. For example, Darren Fletcher, the PA representative for the Blue Jays, didn't even go to Chicago for the meetings during the All-Star Break... he could've gone but opted to give one of the other players the opportunity to go, to give them the experience... had the meetings had any important significance, Fletcher most certainly would've gone.

And how can the "executive" call a strike date without talking to the players?? The Marlins PA representative after their game last night had no clue about anything.... either that or he deserves to be nominated for an Oscar with the WWE wrestlers.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 02:42 PM   #8
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I think the LA Times, where this story came from, heard something about Sept. 16 as a possible strike date, and since this is labor related, failed to put everything else in context, decided that was the actual strike date, and blew it up nationally in a national newspaper. I think it was word of mouth rumor more than anything official.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 07:48 PM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

The 2 sides aren't really that far apart this time. The hardest negotiations are behind them, free-agency, revenue sharing, and this one can be settled.
Will it be settled? Who knows. I don't think that Mr. Selig is interested in fixing the sport, just saving his own butt, and his team.
Lets get a commissioner that will get things settled.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 03:13 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Maybe someone here can explain something to me: Why is it important to the players for them to go out on strike first, before the owners can lock them out and supposedly, unilaterally change the rules? Does this have something to do with labor laws?

Of course it would help if Selig and his faction of owners stopped hiding behind blatant falsehoods like "competitive balance" and "revenue sharing" and simply admit that they want to cut player salaries across the board.

Billy Joel was so right - honesty is such a lonely word!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote