Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-18-2003, 05:53 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Exclamation League Says No Trading Picks For Coaches

The NFL has barred teams from trading draft picks for the right to sign a coach, the type of swap that allowed the Buccaneers to get Jon Gruden.

The new policy was announced in a memo to all 32 teams by Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, league spokesman Greg Aiello said.

The NFL's competition committee was worried that such trades might be undermining the purpose of the draft.

From Associated Press - January 17, 2003
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

this is good draft picks turn into players so draft pix should only be allowed to be traded for players
Old 01-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I agree with that ruling 100%.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Don't really care, it doesn't happen very often anyway.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:29 AM   #5
Anthony

Since the league's memo was silent on other forms of compensation - cash, or even veteran players - presumably trading these for a head coach has not been banned.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:12 PM   #6
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Well as a Raider fan, I'm glad this has happened after Oakland got 2 number 1's and 2 number 2's for Gruden. Not to mention the 8 million bucks they also received, although really that is peanuts in the world of pro run franchises.

But I'm not sure where I stand on this right off the top of my head. My first thought is owners and GMs should be able to do what they want with there money and picks. But again I'm still not sure how I really feel about this. I guess I'm not sure how it is totally undermining the draft.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Shouldn't teams be able to make the deals that they want to make? Didn't both Oakland and Tampa prosper from the deal they made last year? I think this is a wack policy, and I think a team should be able to wheel and deal for any players or coaches they desire. I understand teams undermining the draft, but should they not be able to do that to benefit their teams play on the field. I mean what if making a deal for a coach helps the team much more than using a draft pick on a player?

Joey
Old 01-21-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
Sports Virtuoso

I tend to agree Joey, I just dont see how it is undermining the draft.

I also know people differ on what they believe is more important. Some people do not think any coach is worth draft picks, others feel they are. Personally I think each team should be taken as individual, some teams would benefit by getting the picks, others would be greatly helped by getting the right coach. I do think some coaches are worth more then any draft pick. I just believe some coaches are difference makers.

But either way, I think it still should be up to each individual team, what they want to do with there picks.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Perhaps the phrase "undermines the draft" is a bit on the obscure side, and what the owners have really done is actually allow the players association a minor victory in a sport where the players win very little.

Its absolutely conceivable that the players' association perceives the trading of draft picks for coaches as relegating the sports' warriors to a lesser status than the so-called generals, and quietly and effectively addressed the matter with Tagliabue. I would be unshocked if this was an owner-concession in exchange for the players' association to take a quieter and less media-friendly angle on the ridiculous ephedra policy.

Meanwhile, the man worth 2 #1s, 2 #2s, and $8,000,000 takes his new team to the Super Bowl. It's tough to argue that he wasn't worth at least half of what Oakland got for him.

Dave
Old 01-21-2003, 09:10 PM   #10
Sports Virtuoso

I would say both Oakland and Tampa made out in that deal.

Tampa got to the SB, they are built to win now.

Oakland got there also and got some picks in return to help a team that is in CAP trouble next year.

And while I'm not saying your wrong in regards to how this deal came about, I have a hard time believing thats what happen.

Usually big deals between the NFLPA and the owners happen during the off season. During the season it is very hard for all the parties involved(players reps an owners) to get together. Usually these meetings dont happen in a couple of hours, they take place over the course of a couple of days(which the players dont have time for at this time), then the possibilities are brought back to the workers, in this case the players. There voted upon and the results are then brought back before the owners at another meeting. During the season the players dont have time for this.

I think the Competition committee, which is a group that both the players and owners have put there faith into to make certain decisions that are good for both sides, and Tags took care of this on there own.

As an example the Raiders deal with Tampa will successfully help the Raiders handle there upcoming CAP difficulty. Present roster in tact for next year has the Raiders WAY over the CAP. Now with the future holding so many picks for Oakland they can release some of there CAP problem contracts and know they have extra draft picks to replace these players. Thus ensuring the possibility that the Raiders will stay near the top. This scenario does not fit into TAGS vision of parity.

The league heads may have recognized that a possible loop hole exist where teams can find at least someway around the CAP. League heads dont like that. They love there CAP and they want a different champ each year, they want parity.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:13 PM   #11
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Who cares? It really does not matter.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:35 PM   #12
Sports Virtuoso

If you dont care Kornbread, then why bothering responding at all................or do the rest of us have to care about what you care about?

Besides Dave has some intelligence in regards to sports, which makes talking about them interesting for some of us. What I dont care about, is your one line remarks showing your lack of knowledge half the time.

Now Kornbread we both have expressed things we dont care about.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:41 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking maybe Kornbix is suffering from Mike Vick withdrawal and getting grumpy because of it.

It does matter, quite a bit. It's likely a part of the reason that Jack Del Rio and not Steve Mariucci is the new coach in Jacksonville. In six years, after Parcells has left the Cowboys owning one year of his life, and decides he'd really like a shot at that Cincy job since Lewis left for the opening in Green Bay, Cincy might not be able to work out the deal necessary to buy the remainder of Parcells' contract without draft picks...

It sure as heck matters to both the Raiders organization and the Buccaneers' organization. I think it's highly likely neither team is playing this Sunday without that deal. Not that we'll ever know, of course, but Gruden had clearly worn out his welcome in the Big O, and Dungy, while a great coach, doesn't seem to have the fire to push a team that extra little bit they need to get to the Super Bowl.

So, when you say Kornbix, that it doesn't matter, remember that your dirty birds will likely be seeking Reeves' replacement after next season, and they may desperately want to trade a 1st round pick for... oh, I dunno, Dave Wannstadt, but won't be able to do it.

Dave
Old 01-21-2003, 10:02 PM   #14
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
So, when you say Kornbix, that it doesn't matter, remember that your dirty birds will likely be seeking Reeves' replacement after next season, and they may desperately want to trade a 1st round pick for... oh, I dunno, Dave Wannstadt <---------
Dave, I love you
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:50 AM   #15
Anthony

If the NFL was consistent about this issue, it would also count the salaries of the coaching staff as part of the salary cap (raising the cap commensurately so player salaries don't have to be cut across the board, of course).

And why not? Isn't having say, Jon Gruden rather than Marty Mornhinweg as your head coach every bit as much of a competitive advantage as having, say, Rich Gannon rather than Danny Wuerffel as your starting quarterback?

So in the name of competitive balance - the altar upon which the NFL hierarchy worships - the compensation paid to coaches should be incorporated into the salary-cap structure.