Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Steelers 14 73.68%
Seahawks 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2006, 10:46 PM   #121
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

It's awesome for Bettis. He's really one of the NFL's good guys, and that's a great way to go out. I'm also happy to see Cowher win one, as I feel he's one of the best coaches in recent years.

I stand by my opinion that those calls in question were awful, but I also stand by my opinion that without them, Pittsburgh still wins. In fact, did anyone state differently? Hasselbeck flamed out in the fourth quarter big time, and Jerremy Stevens was non-existent beyond the one TD reception.

I don't think you can pin THAT much blame on the kicker. Both of those misses were from 50 and beyond. That's not a gimme, even indoors.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #122
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Didn't all schools in Allegheny County have off today?

Anyway, I gave in and let the kids watch the parade on FSN Pittsburgh. Call me a softie...or lazy.

And jhuerbin...

I'm not a Seahawks fan, but a football fan. Like I said, the last game of my season was officiated horribly, so that's enough to tick me off.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #123
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndo
Let's start w/ these:
1. YES, that offensive pass interference against Seattle in the endzone WAS a penalty....CLEARLY. The receiver can NOT push off AT ALL.

2. YES, that WAS a holding call against Seattle against the Pitt lineman, PERIOD.

3. Did Roethlisberger actually break the plain for the TD?
Doesn't matter. It was RULED a TD. And when the ref reviews it, the ONLY way he can overturn it is if its CLEAR. If its unclear, he goes w/ the call on the field (TD).
My problem with #1 and #3 was that the calls were made way too late. The calls themselves were fine, but why the delays? Verrry suspicious...

On #2, you could call it, but it's usually not called when the guy releases immediately, which he did. If that was a hold, then there were 20 other holds not called in the game.

Also, like Boston Aloha mentioned, that Hasselbeck block call (even though it was only 10 yards) was HORRRIBLE. He hit the ball carriers knees, not the blocker's.

And I've got to say I haven't heard one person say the refereeing was good who didn't also say that the game sucked. Why is that? Maybe if you cared about the outcome then the reffing actually mattered to you? I dunno, just a theory...
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #124
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If anything Ben looked like a deer in headlights... 9/21, 123 yards, 0TD 2INT????
no, he still played w/ confidence and didnt allow the 2 INTs get to him. You see mentally weak QB's like Peyton Manning storm off the field like he was in grade school pouting like someone just stole his pack of gum. Ben shrugged his errors off and kept his head in the game. some of those bad passes and be credited to his broken thumb that had been acting up. Hasselback looked like he was trying to get out of a burning building during the end of the half and 4th Q.

Quote:
Hasselback called for "illegal block" or whatever when he made the tackle... Then Ben does block the same way on the Randel El - Ward play???
i believe Hasselback was called for an illegal block because it was during a return. Ben was setting a block for a passing play. the rules are different. it was a bad call regardless.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #125
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

If he's confident about completing less than 50% of his passes and throwing for 123 yards, then I'd say the Steelers have a problem. He was all over the place with his throws. It was pretty obvious how nervous he was and that he couldn't settle down. Hell, Cowher said before the half, "we need to try to get Ben to relax" and he didn't. His defense (plus a few calls in their favor as we've been mentioning) was what kept them alive. He played poorly, period. I think Trent Dilfer had better numbers than him.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #126
190 Octane
All-Star Player

Anyone had better numbers than Ben. A 23 QB rating, no matter how well he bootlegged (which was average), is atrocious. Sure, he had that great scramble-and-bomb that was followed up with the rushing touchdown, but beyond that the Steelers seemed to score in spite of his play, not because of his play.

Remember, the other two scoring drives rest pretty much all on Parker and Randle El/Ward.

Blog
Old 02-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #127
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Even though I thought the Refs did a good job overall, I thought this was funny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stealer.jpg (78.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #128
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogsong
i believe Hasselback was called for an illegal block because it was during a return. Ben was setting a block for a passing play. the rules are different. it was a bad call regardless.
See the problem with that logic is that when Hasselbeck threw the 'illegal block' he was a defensive player as it was post interception and he was moving in to make a tackle. I have never in my life seen a defensive player be called for an illegal block let alone be flagged for diving at a guys legs trying to make a tackle.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #129
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

That doesn't even make sense. Why would Hasselbeck throwing a block when he is trying to tackle the guy?

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #130
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Nor does it make sense that when Roethlisberger actually did make an illegal block on Lofa during the Randel-Ward play, a flag was not thrown???
Old 02-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #131
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If he's confident about completing less than 50% of his passes and throwing for 123 yards, then I'd say the Steelers have a problem. He was all over the place with his throws. It was pretty obvious how nervous he was and that he couldn't settle down. Hell, Cowher said before the half, "we need to try to get Ben to relax" and he didn't. His defense (plus a few calls in their favor as we've been mentioning) was what kept them alive. He played poorly, period. I think Trent Dilfer had better numbers than him.
Dilfer did have better numbers- but they both have rings and thats really all that counts. throwing w/ a broken thumb isn't going to create the best results. sure he played poorly but he also made great plays to keep his team in the game and to victory.

I agree that the Hasselback block/tackle/whatever is totally wrong and made no sense.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #132
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

I've calmed down enough now to comment.... actually now I'm typing I realise I havn't!!!

F****NG REFEREES!!!!!!

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:36 AM   #133
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
See the problem with that logic is that when Hasselbeck threw the 'illegal block' he was a defensive player as it was post interception and he was moving in to make a tackle. I have never in my life seen a defensive player be called for an illegal block let alone be flagged for diving at a guys legs trying to make a tackle.

Rarer still is a quarterback being called for such an infraction; according to some sources, in fact, this was the first time a QB got flagged for something like this since Steve Grogan was penalized for grabbing a Buffalo player's face mask following an interception - in 1981!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #134
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Some sources, then, are wrong, Anthony. Brady was flagged for this exact foul at least once this season, perhaps twice.

It was confusing to the listeners up here when it first happened for obvious reasons: how can a guy trying to make a tackle get called for an illegal block? It's plain illegal to take out a non-ball-carrying guy by hitting him below the knees. (Unless your an offensive lineman who has been coached by Alex Gibbs. Cut-blocking remains legal, but dubious and generally perceived as dirty and dangerous.) They didn't bother to come up with another word for the action, and call it a block, despite it being something more along the lines of a missed tackle.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #135
190 Octane
All-Star Player

But didn't Hasselbeck hit the ball carrier? I could be wrong, but it seems like I remember him taking out the man with the ball.

Blog