Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 01-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

SoonerCenturion is on a distinguished road
Default KU v OU tonight

the spread is 17, personally the way Blake Griffin is playing right now, and the way the OU backcourt matches up with KU I'd take the under on this.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Member named tobynosker lives in Kansas and he will gladly get into this discussion with you.

I know little about either team. I've seen Kansas play, and they look really good.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Member named tobynosker lives in Kansas and he will gladly get into this discussion with you.

I know little about either team. I've seen Kansas play, and they look really good.
they can make an argument for the best team in the nation. I think they'll go far in the tourny assuming Bill Self doesn't play a team that starts with a B.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

Kansas in a blowout
Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal_88 View Post
Kansas in a blowout
Blake Griffin is a lottery pick and he matches up well, Longar Longar matches up good with the big men from KU, I think KU wins but by less than 17
Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

If you lose to Kansas State by two at home, you are not going to go into Allen Fieldhouse and beat the Kansas Jayhawks two nights later (K-State/Oklahoma was one of the more fun college basketball games I have watched this season, because it was back-and-forth for the entire ballgame, right down to the buzzer).

And I didn't get the chance to watch the game last night as I was out broadcasting another, but once Blake Griffin went out of the game, so did the hopes of the Oklahoma Sooners.

But even without Griffin in there, I don't know that he would have done enough on the defensive end to take a guy like Darnell Jackson out of the ballgame (basically, they would be trading off points).

Kansas was going to win that game last night simply because Oklahoma was outmanned at nearly every position and because the Jayhawks have a much more experienced and talented bench. Plus, their are very few teams in the country who are going to outhustle KU, so it is the job of the opposing team to slow things down and control the tempo on both sides of the ball.

Based on this season alone, the thing that will make Kansas a tough team to beat down the stretch is their inability to get rattled and the quickness in which this team puts together 10-0 or 11-0 runs in the blink of an eye.

This Saturday's game in Columbia against the Missouri Tigers -- who are coming off of an upset win over Texas -- will be an interesting test for the Jayhawks.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
If you lose to Kansas State by two at home, you are not going to go into Allen Fieldhouse and beat the Kansas Jayhawks two nights later (K-State/Oklahoma was one of the more fun college basketball games I have watched this season, because it was back-and-forth for the entire ballgame, right down to the buzzer).

And I didn't get the chance to watch the game last night as I was out broadcasting another, but once Blake Griffin went out of the game, so did the hopes of the Oklahoma Sooners.

But even without Griffin in there, I don't know that he would have done enough on the defensive end to take a guy like Darnell Jackson out of the ballgame (basically, they would be trading off points).

Kansas was going to win that game last night simply because Oklahoma was outmanned at nearly every position and because the Jayhawks have a much more experienced and talented bench. Plus, their are very few teams in the country who are going to outhustle KU, so it is the job of the opposing team to slow things down and control the tempo on both sides of the ball.

Based on this season alone, the thing that will make Kansas a tough team to beat down the stretch is their inability to get rattled and the quickness in which this team puts together 10-0 or 11-0 runs in the blink of an eye.

This Saturday's game in Columbia against the Missouri Tigers -- who are coming off of an upset win over Texas -- will be an interesting test for the Jayhawks.

I thought that KU would win but it would be by less than the spread, boy was I wrong. Blake Griffin goes down and the Sooners take a 30 point loss, I'm afraid the Sooners may be NIT bound this year, was hoping they could squeak out an 8 or 9 seed, but I don't see it happening this year :thumbdown:
Old 01-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

So, should I take OU and the points, or the under?
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
So, should I take OU and the points, or the under?

OU averages in the 60 points a game range, so if the spread is more than 120, I'd usually take the under if you are picking OU to win.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCenturion
I thought that KU would win but it would be by less than the spread, boy was I wrong. Blake Griffin goes down and the Sooners take a 30 point loss, I'm afraid the Sooners may be NIT bound this year, was hoping they could squeak out an 8 or 9 seed, but I don't see it happening this year :thumbdown:
I wouldn't give up hope on this team completely, but with Kansas, Texas A&M, Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and even Baylor (who should take a dramatic dip as we move further into Big XII play) playing some great to decent ball so far, it will be tough for Oklahoma throughout the rest of the year -- especially if the worst-case scenario of an MCL tear ends the season of Blake Griffin.

The final three ballgames in the month of January will say a lot about this team and their direction, which could get even worse if they fail to deliver wins, as they have to match-up with Texas A&M on the road and Texas at home in back-to-back outings to begin the month of February.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
I wouldn't give up hope on this team completely, but with Kansas, Texas A&M, Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and even Baylor (who should take a dramatic dip as we move further into Big XII play) playing some great to decent ball so far, it will be tough for Oklahoma throughout the rest of the year -- especially if the worst-case scenario of an MCL tear ends the season of Blake Griffin.

The final three ballgames in the month of January will say a lot about this team and their direction, which could get even worse if they fail to deliver wins, as they have to match-up with Texas A&M on the road and Texas at home in back-to-back outings to begin the month of February.

Blake is 1 and done IMO, so not having him while he's here really hurts the team. I'll say this about your JHawks, if you don't make a Final 4 this year, it's a HUGE disappointment, your team is LOADED! Your starting 5 could all be lottery picks.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonersCenturion
Blake is 1 and done IMO, so not having him while he's here really hurts the team. I'll say this about your JHawks, if you don't make a Final 4 this year, it's a HUGE disappointment, your team is LOADED! Your starting 5 could all be lottery picks.
A number of Big XII freshman could be one-and-done this season. Besides Blake Griffin and Michael Beasley at Kansas State, I could see guys like DeAndre Jordan at Texas A&M and James Anderson at Oklahoma State making the leap.

Kansas isn't necessarily my team (I don't favor any program, to be honest), but making the Final Four shouldn't be the goal for this year's team. With this collection of talent, it is the Jayhawks best chance to win the National Championship since Danny Manning and the Miracles.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
A number of Big XII freshman could be one-and-done this season. Besides Blake Griffin and Michael Beasley at Kansas State, I could see guys like DeAndre Jordan at Texas A&M and James Anderson at Oklahoma State making the leap.

Kansas isn't necessarily my team (I don't favor any program, to be honest), but making the Final Four shouldn't be the goal for this year's team. With this collection of talent, it is the Jayhawks best chance to win the National Championship since Danny Manning and the Miracles.
As long as they don't get a team that starts with a B the first round I think the make the run to the Final 4. I think KU should be #1, they are better than UNC and Memphis.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know Griffin may be back. ESPN only has him rated as the 36th best prospect and if he has a serious enough knee injury that knocks him out for the year to where he will not be 100% when it comes time to work out for NBA teams he may just get healthy, regroup, and work towards being a lottery pick in '09.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
SoonerCenturion
Ron Mexico owes me money

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I don't know Griffin may be back. ESPN only has him rated as the 36th best prospect and if he has a serious enough knee injury that knocks him out for the year to where he will not be 100% when it comes time to work out for NBA teams he may just get healthy, regroup, and work towards being a lottery pick in '09.
there was an NBA scout at the OU-KSU game that said without a doubt Beasley and Griffin would both be lottery picks, but if you're right he does need to come back next year and improve his stock. I don't know if he'll ever be a NBA starter, but he'd be a helluva sixth man, he's a game breaker.