Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default End of an Era in Tampa

Mike Alstott is going to retire tomorrow.

Did he do enough to even get mentioned for the HoF? Was he the best FB ever during his prime?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

I assure you that Mike Alstott will be nominated for the Hall of Fame, but I think it is extremely unlikely that he will ever get in (I'll be surprised if he's ever a Finalist).

And Alstott was nowhere near being near the best FB ever -- at any time. Alstott was never even the best FB in his own era, to say nothing of comparisons against people like Marion Motley and John Henry Johnson.

Nonetheless, he was a fine player, who really represented Tampa's offense for about a decade. The Bucs and the game will miss him.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

The problem with Alstott is he was only half fullback, he was half tailback. He was never known as an incredible blocker, but a powerful runner. He was a very good player, although I hated watching him run....it always looked to me like he ran by falling down, and trying to run into defenders to keep himself upright His unusual style may be an issue if the HoF comes up.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

I personally have always been a Mike Alstott fan. When current players are described as tough, you think of Alstott. I would put him in the toughness group with, Dick Butkus, Ronnie Lott and Jack Youngblood. But as far as calling him the best fullback ever, IM not quite sure. Some of the old school players may have a say in that.
But with you being a homer Mush, you go right ahead and dub him whatever you thing, after all you've seen him in person.

Footnote: This may interest you Mushman. Arkansas Fullback Peyton Hillis has been connected on replacing Alstott at Tampa. Some people say that Gruden really likes this kid. If you get a chance, you too would be a Hillis fan. great work ethic. hard nose player and a good leader.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Sad to see Mike go. IN now way will he even sniff Canton though.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The very term "fullback," if not the position itself, has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past two decades or so. It once meant any big running back, and he could have even have been the feature back in the offense (e.g., John Riggins). Today, however, the term is used to denote a player whose primary responsibility is blocking, etc. - and on more than a few teams this player literally never touches the ball.

What has surprised me is that with the 3-4 defense enjoying considerable popularity nowadays, there wouldn't be more big backs - like Brandon Jacobs - carrying the ball on a regular basis.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bucs FB Mike Alstott Retires

Sad but completely expected.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
Six-time Pro Bowl fullback Mike Alstott announced his retirement after 12 seasons Thursday, saying goodbye to the NFL during a tearful news conference in a meeting room where the Buccaneers played a highlight film of some of his most memorable plays.

The Bucs all-time touchdown leader spent the 2007 season on injured reserve with a neck problem that was not related to a career-threatening injury that required surgery in 2003. He held little hope for a return, but still had difficulty saying his career was over.

"Though mentally I feel like I can continue, physically I can't," he said. "The second injury to my neck will prevent me from playing football forever."
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

he was a good runner... just an average blocker...

no hof for 41
Old 01-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Alstott was always one of my favorite players. Hate to see hime leave the game.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

I'll always remember him for his gloveless look with his bulging neck-roll, and his 3-bar QB facemask...

what a character...

LONG LIVE #40!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Watch Alstott blow up Shawn Springs in the second run. Holy *****!

Classic Alstott
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
That video is a great example of what we've been discussing in this thread. It is, as mush put it, "Classic Alstott". Two really nice, power runs to fire up the Bucs and their crowd. On both plays, Alstott lined up as a tailback.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote