Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road
Default 5 Coaching Changes in 6 Years???

Al Davis is a freakin nutcase...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kiffin hopes to be back with Raiders, despite reported friction with Davis
Associated Press

MOBILE, Ala. -- Lane Kiffin said he hopes to be back as Oakland Raiders head coach next season, a day after reports surfaced that owner Al Davis has asked him to resign.

Kiffin was asked after coaching the North team at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Saturday whether he wanted to return for a second season as Oakland's coach.

"I hope so," he said.

Kiffin would not comment further on a report by ESPN that Davis drew up a resignation letter for him two weeks ago.

"It's got nothing to do with this game, and these guys' last game here," he said.

The Raiders have denied the report when it came out Friday.

Speculation about Kiffin's status began three weeks ago after reports surfaced following the season that he wanted to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. The Raiders dismissed those reports and announced that Ryan was staying on as coordinator.

Kiffin was reportedly upset that he didn't have control of his coaching staff, leading Davis to ask for his resignation. If Kiffin were to resign, he would not be paid for the remaining two years of his contract.

Kiffin, 32, was the youngest man to coach a game in the NFL since Harland Svare took over the Los Angeles Rams as a 31-year old in 1962. The team went 4-12 in his first season in Oakland, doubling the team's win total from the previous year and showing signs of improvement in many areas.

But it marked the fifth straight year that Oakland has lost at least 10 games.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If Kiffin resigns or Davis fires him, that would make 5 coaching changes in 6 years for this Oakland Raiders franchise... What a mess.

Jon Gruden to Bill Callahan.
Bill Callahan to Norvell Turner.
Norv Turner to Art Shell.
Art Shell to Lane Kiffin.
Lane Kiffin to ???.

This is just ridiculous.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

The Raiders are just a joke... they have been for years. Any idea who will take Kiffin's place?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The rumor is Dennis Green but both sides seem to be deflating that one. There is some chatter about James Lofton but the Raiders did just fire their WR coach so he may have been in town to discuss that opening with the Raiders.

After this latest fiasco I cannot imagine any established HC with an ounce of dignity is going to have an ounce of interest in this job. That is how they ended up with Kiffin in the first place. The Raiders are not willing to pay market value to hire a decent coaching candidate.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

maybe somebody like Karl Dorrell...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

They need to keep Kiffin, he's young and promising. What the hell do you expect after one year?! Al Davis is a nutjob and needs to step down, a la Steinbrenner.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I thought it was a mistake to hire Kiffin in the first place. I don't know anyone could have expected any better than the 4 wins they ended up with.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

With a significantly easier schedule the Raiders could easily win 6 games next year, which would be their highest win total since 2002. And that might be enough to land second place in the AFC West, as the Broncos look to be completely through and KC's slide may not yet have run its course - especially if the Chiefs don't do something proactive at the QB position this spring.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Chiefs need to do something with the o-line first, and foremost, before they think about QB. I think they can do okay with Croyle under center as long as they find someone to protect him. It won't matter who the QB is if he has to take 55 sacks again next season.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
The Chiefs need to do something with the o-line first, and foremost, before they think about QB. I think they can do okay with Croyle under center as long as they find someone to protect him. It won't matter who the QB is if he has to take 55 sacks again next season.
Kansas City needs to make dramatic improvements on the offensive line, as well as at the cornerback and wide receiver positions before they begin focusing on any quarterback issues. Brodie Croyle showed enough this season behind a dreadful offensive line and a weakened group of playmakers to warrant being this team's starter next season.

The only quarterback that could step in that Kansas City could really make a concerted effort for in the draft is Boston College's Matt Ryan -- and I don't know that he has anymore of an upside in this league than Brodie Croyle, especially since the Chiefs are primarily just to looking ahead to next season before likely making a drastic decision. And because of that and because of Kansas City's major needs elsewhere on the field, you can't gamble away a top-five pick on Matt Ryan.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well getting Dwayne Bowe was definitely a move in the right direction. He stepped in and contributed right away. You are right that they definitely need someone to line up opposite him otherwise they will be in the same pickle the Panthers are in with Steve Smith once Tony Gonzalez retires.

I think Ryan has a lot more upside than Croyle does. Ryan was the offense at BC this year while Croyle was very limited at 'Bama. There is are fairly obvious reasons why Croyle was a 3rd rounder and Ryan is going to likely go in the top 10. That is not to say Croyle will not become a quality NFL QB I just think Ryan is much more equipped to handle the NFL game than Croyle is. I just see a lot more of the intangibles and leadership in Ryan than I do in Croyle.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
I think Ryan has a lot more upside than Croyle does. Ryan was the offense at BC this year while Croyle was very limited at 'Bama. There is are fairly obvious reasons why Croyle was a 3rd rounder and Ryan is going to likely go in the top 10. That is not to say Croyle will not become a quality NFL QB I just think Ryan is much more equipped to handle the NFL game than Croyle is. I just see a lot more of the intangibles and leadership in Ryan than I do in Croyle.
What I meant was that, since this team has so many problem issues and questionable areas on the field, using a top-five draft pick to simply upgrade the quarterback position even slightly with Matt Ryan over Brodie Croyle will do nothing to improve this team anymore over the next year or two. Ryan will not do any better behind that shoddy offensive line and with the true lack of playmakers that clutter that offense than what Croyle managed to do late this season.

I think Matt Ryan has more of the intangibles than Croyle, but I think he showed at times at Boston College that his decision making abilities are poor.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:02 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

There is a word for Brodie Croyle - but this is a family-oriented forum. :lol:

But if the Chiefs get the 4th pick in that three-way coin-flip thing with the Raiders and Falcons (they can't get the 3rd pick no matter what), they could have a shot at Ryan, unless the Dolphins or Rams trade down with someone who wants him.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote