Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default College Football Pick'Em Contest Week Seven

Week 7

Saturday, October 9:
Minnesota @ Michigan, 12PM ET
Virginia Tech @ Wake Forest, 12PM ET
Wisconsin @ Ohio State, 3:30PM ET
Stanford @ Notre Dame, 2:30PM ET
California @ Southern Cal, 3:30PM ET
Oklahoma State @ Colorado, 3:30PM ET
Tennessee @ Georgia, 3:30PM ET
Nebraska @ Texas Tech, 7PM ET
LSU @ Florida, 7:45PM ET

Texas @ Oklahoma, 12PM ET Total Points Scored

Standings: http://scmb.nathanspencer.com/NCAA2004.html

For Everyone: Welcome to another year of SCMB’s College Football Pick ‘em game. Everyone is welcome to give their picks. Simply select the team from the 10 featured games above whom you think will win and list them in your post. For the specified game (the tiebreaker), you must post the total combined score of the game in addition to the winning team. Good luck!

Each week, I will do my level best to get the games for the following week posted no later than Tuesday, 9pm. I’m going to slide on that, I’m sure, at least once. If there’s nothing posted by Wednesday morning, start berating me all over the forum.

[i]Be sure to send three requests for next week’s games you’d like to see on the Pick’Em.

Be sure to try to get your picks in by the time the first game on the list starts.Late entries cannot be honored. If you’re not in the Eastern time zone, adjust your submission times accordingly.

Don’t forget to supply points for the tie-breaker!!

I will attempt, as the first post, to comment on each game, in case you’re wondering how it made the cut.

Please note the newly-created Pick'em discussion thread, where I copied Dave's and my comments onto a new thread. Please use that thread for conversation and comments and reserve this thread just for picking. Thanks! -KB

That’s it!

First game kicks off at 12.00p ET on Saturday !! Good luck.

Dave

Last edited by KevinBeane; 10-05-2004 at 11:50 AM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Week Seven Comments Kevin's comments in italics

You’ll notice that several of this week’s big games take place in a conference I generally like to ignore: the Big 12. There are some others, though. Conferences won’t necessarily be decided today, but big moves can be made by Georgia and Florida, while Colorado can cling to their hopes of continued redemption as home underdogs.

Minnesota @ Michigan The Golden Gophers have vengeance on their minds after last year’s humiliating choke to the Wolverines. And after last week’s slower showing against an okay defense in Penn State, the Gophers will need to show up needing to prove themselves not only to Michigan, but to themselves again, too. Can their dual-back attack score more than Michigan’s connection of Henne and Edwards? If there’s a place to prove yourself anywhere in the nation, it’s the Big House in Ann Arbor. Oh, and for gamblers: the public LOVES Minnesota (line down to 3 ½ from 7). That could be bad news for Gophers fans. Nevertheless, Week 1 was the last time anyone could say, "Now THAT'S the Michigan team I expect." I like Minnesota's chances to get back the ax (or is it the bucket?) in a close one.

Virginia Tech @ Wake Forest The Hokies are still in a “proving themselves” phase in their ACC membership. Knocking off Big East rival West Virginia was big, but can they build on that when they take on the Demon Deacons? WF looked good last week, don't get me wrong, but were featuring on a very average Wake Forest team two weeks in a row? Bleah. VT wins. I was going to PM Dave and suggest Kansas/Kansas State be included this week, which should be competivie for the first time in ages, but you snooze, you lose. This is the game I would've forsaken for it.

Wisconsin @ Ohio State You have to go back to ’84 and ’85 for the last time that the Badgers knocked off the Buckeyes in consecutive seasons. You have to go back to ’99 for the last time the Buckeyes lost two consecutive regular season games. This one will be points optional, with both teams generally struggling to score while defenses should dominate the day. The public is loving Wisconsin in this spot, the spread opening at 6 and down to 3 Tuesday morning. I thinks we find out in this game which team is overrated. I'm afraid of the answer.

Stanford @ Notre Dame The Irish are coming off a good statistical day for the passing game, but a bad day for the defense against Purdue. The Cardinal eased past the floundering Washington program last week. Can Stanford leave Palo Alto and seal the deal, or is Notre Dame’s home field advantage too great? The only thing you can really criticize about Stanford thus far this year was their 2nd half against USC, and well, the Trojans ARE the #1 ranked team in the country. There's a few more holes on ND's resume, maybe too many for home field advantage to make up for.

California @ Southern Cal Expected to be a Pac Ten title deciding game, the Trojans have vengeance on their minds for last season’s overtime loss. The Golden Bears, on the other hand, are coming off a confidence-boosting shellacking of Oregon State. Southern Cal is making only their second home start in five games. Expect more than a few points to be scored by a pair of masterful offenses. And for those who make note of such things, the line is down to 7 from 11 ½. IF this game was in Berkeley, and IF USC didn't have revenge on their minds, I would like Cal. I still WANT to like them, but I just can't with those factors.

Oklahoma State @ Colorado Quietly, the Cowboys are undefeated so far. The Buffs are coming off their first loss, a tough one to Missouri. Still, the Buffs stay alive in the Big 12 North with a win at home. Of course, the way things are going, they may stay alive with two losses, but living that dangerously often proves detrimental. Colorado's two biggest wins have come with black marks....CSU is off to a horrid start, and Colorado only barely beat them at home. Washington State vastly outgained the Buffs, but thanks to turnovers, CU won. Missouri dominated the line of scrimmate last week and would've blown them out if not for missed FGs and a key turnover. Should be a problem for the Cowboys.

Tennessee @ Georgia Georgia is coming off easily their best game of the year, maybe their best game in two years. Tennessee will try to rebound from a good, old-fashioned whooping served up by Auburn. Going to Athens is no way to gather confidence, though. And if the Tenn frosh QB tandem thought Auburn had a tough defense, wait for the tears to stream after they’ve seen Georgia. Nothing I can add or contradict about Dave's comments here, he hit the nail on the head.

Nebraska @ Texas Tech The Red Raiders didn’t look that bad against Oklahoma last week, and get to return home, where they’ve been able to find the end zone a bit more readily. The Cornhuskers need the road victory, if for no other reason than the Big 12 North remains quite a question mark, with no team looking that much stronger than the others.
Kansas is still in competition, for heaven’s sake.And I have a feeling Kansas will stay there, too. I'm leaning towards TTU here.

LSU @ Florida The Tigers are suddenly in a must-win situation for the remainder of the season if they have any hopes of returning to Atlanta for the SEC championship game. But, the winning must start this weekend, and they’ll need help from Auburn opponents. The Gators, on the other hand, remain the holders of their own destiny with a win over LSU. It was cruel of the schedulemakers to put LSU at Georgia and at Florida in back-to-back weeks. The cruelty will show.

Texas v Oklahoma Is this the year for the Longhorns? Were the Sooners looking ahead last week, or are they decided off the pace they set a year ago? This one should be fun, and it comes to us early in the day. Good times. While Oklahoma looks less dominant this year than they did last year, Texas has only played one BCS team thus far, against a team not nearly as good as Oklahoma, and it could've gone either way. Meanwhile, a la Buckeye78, I'm gonna be watching Minnesota at Michigan rather than the Game of the Year.

Dave

Last edited by KevinBeane; 10-05-2004 at 11:42 AM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
Dawg Nation
Rookie Player

Dawg Nation is on a distinguished road

Mich
VT
Ohio St
Stanford
Cal
Okla St
UGA
Nebraska
LSU
Okla (45)
Dawg Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Minnesota
Virginia Tech
Buckeyes
Stanford
USC
Oklahoma State
Georgia
Texas Tech
Florida
Oklahoma (50)

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Michigan
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Southern Cal
Oklahoma State
Georgia
Texas Tech
Florida
Oklahoma (59)

Last edited by Alex; 10-05-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:27 PM   #6
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Can I get a Kansas-Kansas State game?

Minnesota
Virginia Tech
Wisconsin
Notre Dame
Southern Cal
Oklahoma State
Georgia
Texas Tech
Florida
Texas (65)

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Michigan
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Stanford
California
Oklahoma State
Georgia
Texas Tech
Florida
Oklahoma (62)
Old 10-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #8
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Minnesota
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Notre Dame
USC
Oklahoma State
Georgia
Texas Tech
Florida

Oklahoma (61)

Quote:
I like Minnesota's chances to get back the ax (or is it the bucket?) in a close one.
It's the Little Brown Jug, Dave. The Ax is Wisconsin (which we currently have)..Floyd of Rosedale with Iowa, and the Governors Victory Bell with Penn State.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Michigan
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Southern Cal
Oklahoma State
Georgia
Nebraska
Florida
Oklahoma (54)

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:15 PM   #10
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

Michigan
Virginia Tech (i know wake will win but i can't pick agaist Hokies)
Ohio St.
Notre Dame
USC
Oklahoma St.
Georgia
Nebraska
Florida

Texas (58)
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Question LEE'S RANDOM, WINNING GUESSES!

Michigan
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Southern Cal
Oklahoma State
Georgia
Nebraska
LSU
Oklahoma (62)
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Minnesota
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
notre Dame
California
colorado
Georgia
Nebraska
LSU

Texas 56
Old 10-06-2004, 10:10 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Lots of people picking Ohio State. Hmmm...scares me. I want to point out that if Wisconsin does win, I'm hoping some of you can find it in your hearts to put a 6-0 Badgers team who is giving up around 7 points per game in ATLEAST the second toughest conference in the nation in your top 10. Don't think that's too tall of a task, but you offensive lovers baffle me sometimes. I've got Purdue in my top ten, how bout a trade off?

Michigan ( can do it blindfolded )

V Tech

Ohio State

Stanford

USC

Colorado

Georgia

Nebraska

Florida

Oklahoma ( 78 )
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:21 PM   #14