Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Charger's on the Clock?

I heard this on ESPN radio this morning so take it for what it is worth. Apparently there are rumors coming out of San Francisco saying that the Chargers are offering the Niners Phillip Rivers for the number one pick in next month's draft. If this turns out to be true and the deal goes through this could change the scope of the draft. The assumption is that the Chargers would then work out a long term deal with Brees and draft either Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams with the top pick in the draft. It would definitely make things interesting for the Dolphins with the second pick. They would definitely now have their choice of QBs to select from if they so desire. Or, do they stick with the assumed plan of taking a RB with their first pick. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how much teeth this rumor actually has.
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't blame them for wanting to get some value for Rivers now that Brees looks like the guy in San Diego. Should be interesting to see if anything pans out...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

If I was a 49ers fan, I would find another team to root for if they pulled the trigger on this. I would divorce them.

San Diego: Hi Frisco! We have this highly-touted quarterback, but he's a bit of a holdout headcase, or he was. Anyway, we don't think he's as good as the quarterback we start now, who has had one great year and one terrible year. If we give him to you, will you give us the crown jewel of the NFL, the coveted #1 pick?

San Francisco: Why, sure!

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

A monumental brain fart by S.F. if that were to happen.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Rivers was not a holdout head case. He held out, but from what was being reported it was for good reason. The Bonus Incentives were fairly impossible to achieve. Once the Chargers relented and gave him reasonably attainable goals to reach his incentives he signed.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

And I thought the Foulcons make some bonehead moves. If this is true, The 49ers will end up w/the 1st pick in next years draft. You have to think they are gonna try to get some additional picks, at least S.D.s 1st rounder.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Well, San Fran needs so much help, it's not as if the #1 pick will mean all that much to them anyways. Especially, when there is no clearcut #1 to begin with. 1 pick won't fill all 22 holes they have.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

San Diego would be getting a sweet deal if they get their neighbors to the north to pull the trigger on this. I liked Phillip Rivers last season about as much as I like Alex Smith this season. Those that read my thread from a few weeks back know how I feel.

Anyway, the Chargers could use the pick on Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards to give themselves a playmaker at wide receiver to start opposite Keenan McCardell. McCardell is a nice possesion receiver and would be a great complement to Williams or Edwards (or vice versa).

The 49ers are going to suck regardless this coming season. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they only won one game the entire season. Injuries played a big part last season but even with 100% health, they still lack talent just about everywhere. If I were running the franchise I would select Mike Williams with the first pick and get Leinart next season. Leinart is worth waiting for as he is an almost a guaranteed success. Rodgers and Smith come with major risk.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:54 PM   #9
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

not to mention if you get Mike Williams, him and Leinart have played together already, so they would be a good combo to build around.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Interestingly, this story is getting absolutely no attention in the Bay Area; in fact I have not seen one newspaper item or story on the local TV news about it. By contrast, there have been several stories to the effect that the 49ers are now leaning toward Aaron Rodgers over Alex Smith.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Probablly because of the fact that the Chargers have denied this claim completly. They say that they want to hold on to Rivers one more year to make sure that Brees is big time.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #12
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

It's not going to happen. Why would the Chargers trade away Rivers? Brees had an outstanding season...in a contract year. They trade Rivers and Bree reverts back to his old form, Chargers are going to be right back where they were last season...looking for a QB.

From, what I've had. This isn't going to happen. There are always rumors surrounding the first pick of the NFL draft. When has the first pick a month before the draft never been subject to trade rumors?
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote