Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
Scarboy
Sports Enthusiast

Scarboy is on a distinguished road
Default Manning is going to win the ~MVP~

Peyton Manning

Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int
296 197 66.6 2749 9.29 80 31 6

How can he not win it with them number already and he has only played 9 games so far the only guy's i think that might be able to take it from him is

Terrell Owens

No Yards Avg Lg TD
55 884 16.1 59 12
The only reason i think he will not win is because of all of the stupid things he does on and off the field and because WR don't win MVP's

Daunte Culpepper

321 226 70.4 2712 8.45 63 25 5
The guy has been someone like Manning but after Moss went down i believe it hurt him big time

Donovan McNabb

297 188 63.3 2426 8.17 65 18 4
I just put him up here because he is having a better year than a lot of other players and his name should always been in the list of the top players in the NFL[COLOR=red]
Scarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:23 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Not a chance! Unless the Steelers implode Ben Roethlisberger will win the MVP virtually by acclamation; if Pittsburgh does fade T.O. becomes the clear choice, based on the difference he has made in the Eagles' offense compared to what it was like last year.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Roethlisberger has no numbers, Anthony. I love Big Ben, but let's be realistic. Manning wins today hands down, with competition coming ONLY from Culpepper and McNabb, in that order.

Dave
Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

Cmon if the Giants pull together u guys dont think Tiki has a shot at it??
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Tiki has had too many "down" games and I thought Donovan's numbers would be higher.

I think it's between Manning and Culpepper, with Peyton having a decent lead. I didn't realize Daunte's numbers were so close to Mannings.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:02 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

The Giants won't pull it together, and that's not all Tiki's fault. Tiki also has the fumbler reputation, which works against him come voting time.
Whether it's deserved or not, Manning has a reputation worth voting for. And the numbers to back it up.
Culpepper worked a little bit of magic last week, showing that he could throw to much lesser-lights than Randy Moss and still look GOOD. (But, that Nate Burleson.. he's a bigger dude than I thought!)

Dave
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

If Roethilisberger is MVP, why wasn't Delhomme MVP last year? Maddox two years ago? And Brady three years ago?

They all did the same thing: replaced the starter and played well.

TO is MVP to me. Number wise, he's not as good in wide receiver as Manning is in QB, but as mention before, what he brings to the team and what he does to the numbers of Donovan McNabb is what makes him valuable, or most valuable.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Unfortunately, Hero, while I think I agree, MVP votes tend to turn on numbers, and when it's all said and done, Manning will have numbers that can't be ignored.

Unless his defense allows slightly bigger ones, still a possibility.

Dave
Old 11-18-2004, 03:27 PM   #9
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Manning or Big Ben have my vote and McNabb comes in third

Manning is just damn HOT

Big Ben is a rookie winning every game and you can't over look 2 back to back undefeated teams getting beat by Pitt. In fact 1 had the record for most wins.

I would have a hard time picking between these 2 players
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

TO could end up with a number that will be hard to ignore as well. He is on pace for 21 TDs which would make him only the second WR ever to catch 20 TD passes in a single season. He has a shot at the Rice's record of 22 in a season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:16 PM   #11
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

One word for Scarboy ... Duh!

Of course Manning is the MVP at this point in the season. He's only having the best statistical year in the history of passing. Peyton is playing so well, he got his brother a starting job.

As for Big Ben, he does have decent numbers. Roethlisberger doesn't have any 300-yard games, and (I think) only two 200-yard games, but that, in part, has been because he has been flawless when the game is in the balance.

As a result, he isn't having to throw much late in the game. In the last three weeks -- a stretch that includes games against two previously unbeaten teams -- Roethlisberger averaged six -- that's 6! -- passes in the second half. Even Manning wouldn't be throwing for 300 yards and five touchdowns if he went half of every game only throwing sixpasses.

Roethlisberger's passing efficiency is indicative of an elite quarterback that gets his team the lead, then turns things over to a good running game and defense to finish off the opponent.

In other words, Big Ben doesn't have those eye-popping numbers because the rest of his team is just too good. (Q: Why did Peyton Manning throw five touchdown passes? A: Because he needed to.)
Old 11-20-2004, 09:14 AM   #12
Anthony

No matter who ends up winning, the winner should not be announced until the week between the Super Bowl and the Pro Bowl, and not during the week between Week 17 of the regular season and the wild-card games, as is the practice now. For heaven's sake, why shouldn't what happens in the playoffs count? (And this should apply to all the other annual awards, including Coach of the Year and Rookie of the Year, as well).

And if it was done that way and the Steelers were to reach the conference championship round, then Roethlisberger would be an even bigger lock than (I believe) he is now - since no rookie quarterback has ever taken a team to a conference title game.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:50 AM   #13
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

I am going with Manning.

He makes the plays!

Big Ben just has a good team around him where he can just get by.

McNabb is a good choice as long as T.O. stays healthy other wise the Eagles would have issues.

Tom Brady is a great pick but if the De sucked they would be taking out of games.

Manning: Colts De sucks but he can pick 4 WR and get it on the #'s for them making plays!

Has to be Manning
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:40 AM   #14
Anthony

Didn't you know that Peyton Manning is Susan Lucci in shoulder pads? Back in 1997 he stayed in college an extra year and passed up millions of dollars so he could win the Heisman, and ended up not winning it thanks to the biggest example of rigged voting since Lyndon Johnson carried a certain county in Texas by 15,000 votes that only had a population of 11,000 when he was re-elected to the Senate in 1958 (the Downtown Athletic Club filed for bankruptcy six weeks after the Heisman ceremony that year, which, if nothing else, settles any argument one might have with an atheist about the existence of God).

Now this year he's gonna throw for 50 touchdowns - the same year a rookie QB just happens to lead a team to the conference championship game for the first time ever; and next year he'll throw 60 and the running back the Dolphins are going to draft next April will probably rush for 3,000 yards.

Last edited by Anthony; 11-23-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote