Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 05-21-2002, 04:57 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Scandal making Tennessee, SEC look worse and worse

You want to think that scandals and sleaziness aren't so big in college (and all of sports) today, but I am continually amazed by what I find. Anyone hear about all this fraud and lying, particularly down in the SEC? Former Vol QB Tee Martin is accused of accepting cash while at Tennessee.
Quote:
Nervous in Knoxville

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...ight_shooting/

Let's see if we have this straight, now. A good two years after the first hint of scandal around the University of Tennessee football program, the investigator for the Southeastern Conference, Bill Sievers, has made his way to Knoxville, looking to ferret out information on what reads like academic fraud.

What's with the SEC -- is the budget so tight that the boss, Roy Kramer, insisted the ex-FBI agent walk from Birmingham? And incredibly, why had no one from the SEC, until Thursday afternoon, spoken with whistleblower Linda Bensel-Myers, the UT English prof who claims to have the records to back her charges?

This story has turned so goofy it reads like bad fiction. First, you have UT slipping and ducking the Bensel-Myers allegations through two football seasons. Now, in recent days, Bob Gilbert, a former long-time PR guy for the university, has turned and gone public, claiming to have proof supporting the earlier academic fraud charges.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 05:44 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Go ahead and put LSU on that list as well.... they are on the chopping block next. This happens everywhere... why is the SEC the only conference getting noticed for it?

I just find it ironic that the last 4 to 5 sandals we have heard about have had to do with an SEC member.

Go to any Division 1 college and you could find a violation within 20 minutes if you were to inspect with great detail.

Hello, NCAA pick on the rest of college football as well.

Joey
Old 05-22-2002, 04:04 PM   #3
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Actually this used to be true Joey, but several conferences, most notably the Big 10 and Pac 10 have gone out of there way to make sure these problems dont happen anymore. Nobody can do an absolutely perfect job in this area, but the schools in these 2 conferences are working harder at making sure that they get real students(something everyone knows who follows college football that the SEC does not). The Pac 10 last year alone turn downed more then 3 times as many prospective scholarship football players then the SEC did(and the SEC has more teams) all for not meeting the already higher standards that the Pac 10 schools as a whole have. California schools anyway. Most of these were from the 4 California schools. Right now for example, USC has told Hershel Dennis(there top RB recruit) and Darnell Bing(top DB), if they do not get there SAT scores up, they will not be at SC in the fall. Dennis is a B student. He would, with his present grades and SAT scores, be eligible at every SEC school. I'm not sure of Bing's HS grades. The biggest difference is that the Pac 10 Presidents of the California schools have joined together and refused to lower there standards just for the sake of athletes. They are putting there athletes on the same page as there students. SEC does not, nor will it ever, do that. It has been a long time coming, this has not been a secret of how the SEC goes about there practices of recruiting and there underhanded ways when it comes to football. Football is so big in the south, that people have looked the other way on far too many things. they are getting what they deserve now. Look how strong an influence the money had in getting Terry Bowden removed at Auburn, and he is a better football coach then Tuberville will ever be. The SEC needs to be roped in, it's nice to see it happening. They do not need to cheat to have great football programs down there, there low standards are enough.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 09:26 AM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good points, #47 - just a note, I'm having trouble following what you're saying, break up your posts into paragraphs in the future.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 12:54 PM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

#47 I also think you make wonderful points, but I still think that the NCAA are overloading the SEC with these violations to prove their point. And well maybe that is what they need to do so that this matter can be curved and the underhanded methods can be haulted somewhat.

But no matter how many more scholarships the Pac 10 or Big 10 or California schools deny from playing college football or any other sport they still use underhanded methods as well. Every major college uses deceitful tatics to get players and that is a known fact.

But where in lies the problem is that the SEC may have just went to far in their untruthful ways and tatics. Football is life down this way and by making the point that the schools will go to any measure to get players was certainly correct. But you show me a winning program year after year after year.... and I show you a program who uses the same tatics the SEC schools are getting punished for. If we are so naive to think this doesn't go on around the country then we have been blinded by the innocence that was never there to begin with.

Joey
Old 05-24-2002, 03:21 PM   #6
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Marc you are right, I'm sorry about the run on paragraphs. Sometimes I do that............lol.

Joey, your very right about everyone at the D-1 level using underhanded techniques. They all cheat to some point, it's a huge business fueled by the all mighty dollar and usually when that's the case in life, people will do anything to get what they want.

My bigger problem is the great disparity among the D-1 schools in ther admission policies. I believe if a prospective student/athlete would not be admitted due to his grades if he were applying as a regular student, then he should not get in as a scholarship athlete. There has become to big of a margin between what some schools will allow as far as athletes into there programs. It is well known that schools like Stanford, USC, Cal, Duke, etc., have higher entrance requirements for there students that are non athletes, then say Florida, Tennessee, FSU, Syracuse, etc.

Where the problem gets even deeper is when schools like SC, Stanford, Cal, etc., are making there athletes now meet these requirements, the other schools are basically allowing anyone in who can somewhat write there name. It gives these other schools far easier recruiting avenues. Duke is a great example. Coach K is a great coach, but he also running the university at this point. He gets any kid admitted that he wants, even the ones who come no where close to being able to get in as regular students. Corey Maggette and William Avery were 2 great recent examples of this from the 90's. there are many more. These two barely got out of HS, then there at Duke? Ummmmmm.

I'm not saying that a school like Alabama should all of a sudden raise there admittance standards to the level of Stanford, but at least only start recruiting kids who could also get into there schools if they were just regular students.

Right now we have 2 different levels of major D-1 schools competing against each other. The ones who have real student/athletes and the ones who just have athletes that have to SHOW UP at a certain amount of classes to just remain eligible.

I think maybe we are seeing a slow movement in regards to accountability. This might be an area the SEC needs to catch up on just a bit.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote