Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-17-2003, 12:23 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Boselli to retire after never suiting up for Texans

Quote:
Boselli never suited up for expansion Texans

ESPN.com news services

HOUSTON -- The first player the Houston Texans selected in the 2002 expansion draft will reportedly announce his retirement from pro football without ever playing a down for the team.

After sitting out almost all of the past two years because of three operations on his left shoulder, Tony Boselli is expected to announce by the week's end that his eight-year career is over, ESPN confirmed on Wednesday.

The Houston Chronicle and Houston station KRIV-TV originally reported Boselli's intentions Tuesday night.

Boselli, 31, declined comment when reached at his home by The Associated Press on Tuesday night.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0715/1581163.html

He's the NFL's version of Grant Hill. A tremendous player who was destroyed by injuries. It's too bad ... David Carr could sure use him!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:49 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Maybe Houston's picking Dave Ragone wasn't so "senseless" after all - it could be that the Texans' front office factored Boselli's possible retirement into the equation and felt that there was a good chance Carr wouldn't be able to get through the entire 2003 season without missing at least some playing time due to injury, so that's why they grabbed Ragone when he was still on the board in the third round.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Except, what does Ragone give you but another rookie that has to learn the system, a rookie who, while more mobile than Carr, has a propensity for being a little panicky out of the pocket, and couldn't possibly be the right guy to back up your franchise player. Ragone could start, but I don't think anyone believes he could start ahead of Carr, so... it still doesn't make much sense. Not to me, anyway.

Dave
Old 07-17-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

It sucks that one of the best o.line men of my time got messed up that bad. He really was amazing. The offencive line are the most over looked positions in the nfl.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:52 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Except, what does Ragone give you but another rookie that has to learn the system, a rookie who, while more mobile than Carr, has a propensity for being a little panicky out of the pocket, and couldn't possibly be the right guy to back up your franchise player. Ragone could start, but I don't think anyone believes he could start ahead of Carr, so... it still doesn't make much sense. Not to me, anyway.

Dave

Who said anything about Ragone starting ahead of Carr? But if Carr gets injured - a very real possibility if not an outright likelihood given Houston's horrible offensive line - wouldn't you rather have Ragone coming in off the bench instead of Tony Banks?
Old 07-18-2003, 03:29 AM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Absolutely NOT, Anthony. That was my point. Ragone is a gd rookie who developed happy feet at U of L last year. That won't go away behind a bad O line. I'd much rather have Banks, because he has some idea of the speed of the game, etc. All Ragone has is a big body, at this point. Don't get me wrong, Banks sucks, but I doubt seriously that Ragone is any better today. Tomorrow, perhaps. But, if Carr goes down today, I want someone who can take control TODAY, which I doubt seriously Ragone could do.

Dave