Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default '08 Free Agency Thread

Free agency started today with the Sixers, Grizzlies, and Warriors having the most money to spend. Here is a list of available free agents:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...2008FreeAgents

There is not a whole lot to be excited about with this year's group. Elton Brand, Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas, and Corey Maggette are about the only real difference makers available on the un-restricted list.

I think Davis and Maggette are as good as gone. Davis is probably still upset over being benched for the entire second half in a late season game against the Suns. Besides, the Warriors really see restricted free agent Monta Ellis as the future anyway and they would rather match any offer he gets in lieu of placating Davis and giving him the money that he wants. Davis is supposedly lobbying for a sign-and-trade that would send him to the Knicks though I don't know what the Knicks could offer aside from potential picks and Marbury's contract which expires after the upcoming season.

Maggette has supposedly butted heads with Dunleavy since day one and I doubt he whas any interest in staying with the Clippers. It is being rumored that Orlando is his top choice as of right now but the Magic would have to agree to do a sign-and-trade in order to fit him under the cap and I don't really see who they would be willing to part with at this point to get him.

Brand supposedly is intent on staying in LA but the Sixers are supposedly going to make a competitive offer to see if they cannot lure him ot Philly.

Arenas supposedly wants a max deal and it was being reported on SportsCenter last night that the Wiz are willing to give him $100 mil over 6 years. Arenas is a bit of a dicey proposition. When healthy he is as good of a scorer as there is in the league, unfortunately he was only healthy enough to appear in 13 games last year. Do you take the risk of signing him to a big deal hoping his knee gets back to where he can give you 38 to 40 minutes a night or do you try to sign him to shorter contract?

One name of interest to keep an eye on from the unrestricted list is Gerald Green. He is only 22 and looked poised to have a breakout year after averaging 10 points in 22 minutes a game coming off the bench for the Celtics in the '06/'07 season. He got buried on the bench in Minnesota and never got the chance to show what he could do out there. I think he could be a 15-20 ppg scorer on the right team next year and he could end up being a steal of a signing for someone since he is going to command relatively low salary.

The restriced list has a few more intriguing names with the likes of Andre Igoudala, Josh Smith, Emeka Okafor, Jose Calderon, Luol Deng, Monta Ellis, and Ben Gordon on the list.

Igoudala may be the best of the bunch here and according to Chad Ford he is coveted by the Grizz, though I have to think that has changed a bit after last week's draft. They look to have Mayo and Gay playing the 2 and 3 respectively next year so signing Igoudala to a deal worth in the neighborhood of $10 mil a year makes no sense given the big need to find someone to play under the rim. I suspect the interest in him has waned a bit given his overwhelmingly mediocre performance against Detroit in the playoffs.

The Sixers are supposedly going to make a run at Smith if they cannot lure Brand away from the Clippers.

Since Okafor is the only legit post player they have the Bobcats will surely match any offer that comes Okafor's way unless they are truly intent on blowing this all up and trying to land the top pick in next summer's draft.

Given that the Raptors just agreed to move T. J. Ford to Indy they will surely match any offer made to Calderon.

Given that Ellis has only gotten better every year he has been in the league, is only 22, and Davis has one foot out the door the Warriors will certainly match any offer Ellis gets.

The Bulls will likely make every effort to hang onto Deng just because he plays the 3 and plays defense. My guess on Gordon is that they will move him with a sign-and-trade deal. With Hughes and Hinrich already under contract and the addition of Rose to the mix they don't really have a strong need for Gordon and I see them packaging him with one of their young forwards like Noah or Thomas in an effort to secure a more established post player/rebounder.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Baron Davis opts out: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468448

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in L.A. with the Clippers, seeing as how he's from there, but I also saw murmurs of him going to Detroit.

I think Arenas will re-sign now that Jamison has; he said he'd take less money if Jamison re-signs.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

As was expected Calderon re-signs with the Raps:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469184
Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
As was expected Calderon re-signs with the Raps:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469184
The J. O'Neal trade was a horrendous decision by Colangelo but getting this Calderon kid back was essential. He's a player...plus they ain't got Ford anymore.

I like Baron Davis even though he can be a little too "new school" from time to time. He has a chip on his shoulder and ain't afraid to take the big shot. If his knees hold up he'll be a solid player for several more years.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, I did not quite get the O'Neal deal either. I could not believe the Pacers actually got a starting caliber player and a #1 pick back for him.

My only thing with Baron is I don't think he is quite as good as he thinks he is and seems to have a bit of a 'diva' persona about him. One of the main reasons the Hornets dumped him was because he refused to consult with team trainers and physicians when he was injured and always went and saw his personal trainers.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Baron Davis opts out: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468448

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in L.A. with the Clippers, seeing as how he's from there, but I also saw murmurs of him going to Detroit.
Good call:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3470016

This likely means Maggette is gone and Brand stays in LA now that that they have a legit PG to get him the ball. If Brand re-signs and stays healthy the Clippers have a pretty solid nucleus to work with.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Yeah, I did not quite get the O'Neal deal either. I could not believe the Pacers actually got a starting caliber player and a #1 pick back for him.

My only thing with Baron is I don't think he is quite as good as he thinks he is and seems to have a bit of a 'diva' persona about him. One of the main reasons the Hornets dumped him was because he refused to consult with team trainers and physicians when he was injured and always went and saw his personal trainers.
I'm with ya on Baron but again D, part of the madness is part of the greatness. Just like Nick Van Exel or Bob McAdoo back in the day.

O'Neal's knees are shot. I'm with ya...no clue what the deal is there.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Celtics have reportedly contacted Corey Maggette about a deal.
The Spurs are reportedly ready to offer Maggette their full mid-level exception.
The Jazz and Magic are also reportedly interested.
As are the Hornets.

Of the teams mentioned thus far the Hornets seem to be the most intriguing of the choices and possibly the best overall fit for Maggette. He is saying all of the right things right now but with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen currently under contract for the next two years one wonders how happy he would be in Boston having to defer the lion's share of minutes to those two. A guy like James Posey was perfect for Boston at that spot because he only commands 20-25 minutes per game and Maggette is not going to be happy unless he is getting at least 30 minutes a game if not more.

The Hornets are young up-and-coming team in the west and the one thing they are lacking right now is a dynamic scorer to pair with Chris Paul and David West. Maggette is just the type of player the Hornets are looking for to stick at the two spot alongside Paul. Maggette could potentially be that one guy to put the Hornets over the hump and into the Finals next year.

The same can be said about the Magic as well. Orlando is desperatley looking for someone like Maggette who can come in and score from the 2 guard spot and create his own shot. Turkoglu and Lewis essentially score the bulk of their points by playing off of Dwight Howard and converting open jumpers. Maggette gives them another option that teams will have to guard against attacking the rim and potentially opening up more scoring opportunities for Howard. He could be the guy to help Orlando get over the hump as well.

Everyone is always going to be open to listening to what the Spurs have to say simply because they have been contenders to reach the Finals the last 9 or 10 years. But, I am not convinced Maggette's game fits so much with what the Spurs do. The Spurs don't like to run as much and Maggette likes to get up and down the floor.

The Sixers did not waste any time in trying to land Josh Smith and they are interested in Josh Childress as well. Josh Smith would be an exciting acquisition for the Sixers but I am not sure why they are pursuing Childress as well. Smith is desirable because he would give Philly a scoring option from the Power Forward (PF) spot and would help strengthen the defense and put Reggie Evans back on the bench where he belongs.

Childress does not make sense to me simply because they already have Thaddeus Young, whom everybody in the organization thinks is a budding star and showed flashes of real promise last year, and Rodney Carney under contract and they plan on trying to re-sign Andre Iguodala and Louis Williams so they won't necessarily have a pressing need for someone who plays the 2 or the 3 spots on the floor. Don't get me wrong I think Childress is a solid, versatile player he just does not fill a pressing need for the Sixers unless they are looking to bring in guys who are going to be more of a defensive presence for them.

The Mavericks have reportedly come to terms with Gerald Green. I like this signing a lot for the Mavericks. With Jerry Stackhouse and Eddie Jones both on their last legs the Mavs need to look to someone younger who can come off the bench and spell guys like Jason Terry and Josh Howard.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

excerpt:

Davis to ditch Warriors for Clippers

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Baron Davis is on his way home.

A day after Davis shocked the Golden State Warriors by opting out of the final season of his contract to become a free agent, the big-game point guard is on the verge of signing a long-term deal with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Though Davis refused to directly confirm his agent's declaration to The Los Angeles Times that they have agreed to sign a five-year, $65 million deal with Golden State's Pacific Division rivals, he left no doubt about his upcoming move back to his native Southern California.

Davis can't sign with the Clippers until July 9, but he already was speaking about the Warriors in the past tense Tuesday night before attending the Bay Area premiere of "Made in America," a documentary he produced about gang life in Los Angeles. He grew up in a tough neighborhood before attending a ritzy high school in Santa Monica and later starring at UCLA.

"It's tough, but you have to do what's best," said Davis, his usually bushy beard trimmed short below large black-rimmed glasses. "You have to do what's fair. I'm happy with where I'm going. A big reason is because of the impact and the things that I can do going forward. I knew I could have done them here and created all kinds of good things and positive things in the community, and ultimately, me going home helps me make an impact on young kids."

Report: Warriors wooing Brand with max offer

Will Baron Davis and Elton Brand end up trading jerseys?

After losing Davis to the Clippers, the Warriors are going after L.A.'s marquee free agent. Golden State has offered Elton Brand a maximum contract more than the Clippers have proposed, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The Warriors are smarting from the loss of Davis, who opted out of the final year of his contract and reached a verbal agreement Tuesday to sign with his hometown Clippers for five years and roughly $65 million.

The Clippers also were nearing a new deal with Brand, but the Warriors now have more salary-cap space than L.A. and can offer a five-year deal worth more than $100 million. They reportedly have made a similar offer to Wizards free-agent guard Gilbert Arenas.

Knicks make bid for Bulls guard Duhon

Bulls backup point guard Chris Duhon, during a visit to the Knicks' Westchester campus on Day 1 of free agency yesterday, met with coach Mike D'Antoni and was offered a two-year contract believed to be more than $7 million, according to league sources.

Duhon was mulling the offer last night and could accept as soon as today.

The Knicks have proclaimed they do not want to go beyond two years on any signing so as not to compromise their chances of getting under the salary cap in 2010. That amount is a good chunk of the annual $5.5 million mid-level exception.

"Chris has the same interest as they do," his agent, Kevin Bradbury said. "He sat down with Mike and talked philosophy."

A person with knowledge of the situation said that if Duhon signs, "It has nothing to do with Stephon Marbury."

The Knicks believe Duhon is the pure playmaking point the club does not have, making him a good fit. Duhon's assist-to-turnover ratio last season was nearly 4-1.

^^^
:redhot:
Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

excerpt:

Reports: Arenas takes less money to stay with Wiz

WASHINGTON (AP) - Gilbert Arenas is accepting less money from the Washington Wizards, invoking an attitude far, far removed from the world of his working-class fans.

"What can I do for my family with $127 million that I can't do with $111 million?" he told The Washington Post.

The unpredictable three-time All-Star point guard, in vintage Agent Zero fashion, told the Post and the Washington Times on Thursday that he has agreed to re-sign for $111 million over six years, considerably less than the maximum deal he said the Wizards offered him when the free agency period began on Tuesday.

Arenas negotiated the deal from China, where is traveling as part of promotional tour for a shoe company, and did so without an agent.

"I'm basically giving back $16 million," Arenas told the Washington Times. "This is in line with what I've been saying the whole time. You see players take max deals and they financially bind their teams. I don't wanna be one of those players and three years down the road your team is strapped and can't do anything about it."

Arenas became a free agent after opting out of the final year of his six-year, $65 million contract at the end of last season. He initially said he was opting out to receive a max contract, but he later indicated he would be flexible in negotiations.

Arenas also said that he would not re-sign unless the team retained two-time All-Star forward Antawn Jamison. The Wizards lived up to that part of the bargain Monday by giving Jamison a four-year, $50 million deal.

:lol:

He sure is a colorful character. Still, that's a lotta loot for a guy with a questionable knee.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Report: Duhon agrees to deal with Knicks

Chris Duhon verbally agreed to a deal with the New York Knicks on Friday, the point guard and his agent told The Sporting News.

"I am just excited, I am ready to get to work for the Knicks," said Duhon, the former Duke player who averaged 6.9 points and 4.5 assists in four seasons for Chicago. "It's a big stage, playing in New York. It's something every player in the NBA wants."

"Chris could have shopped himself around more, but in the end, he wanted a fit where he felt comfortable and he knew what kind of opportunity he would be getting," Duhon's agent, Kevin Bradbury said. "He wasn't worried about trying to find more money on the market or anything like that. He wanted the right situation, and this just felt like the right situation."

Not about the money? & NY is "the right situation"?

Is he in for an eye opener...
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Both ESPN and Yahoo! Sports are reporting that Brand intends on signing with the Sixers on Wednesday after the deals involving Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth are completed. Apparently the chance to compete for a spot in the Finals appeals to Brand and the Clippers were not stepping up to the plate the way the Sixers are prepared to do in terms of the dollars involved. According to Yahoo! Brand became disenchanted with the Clippers after they were unwilling to sweeten their deal after the Warriors came through with a significantly more lucrative offer. He felt disrespected by the way the Clippers were trying to play hardball with him.

Brand's decision to bolt for Philly potentially makes things even more interesting for the Clippers. First, and foremost, will Baron Davis renege on his verbal agreement to sign with Los Angeles. Was his signing on the dotted line contingent on the Clippers re-signing Elton Brand? The main thing going in LA's favor right now is the fact Baron is a hometown boy who would not mind finishing his career in Los Angeles.

This move seems to be setting off a domino effect with several key free agents. ESPN's Marc Stein is reporting that as a result of losing Davis and losing out on Brand they are expected to announce they have come to terms with Corey Maggette and the Clippers will now turn their attention to luring Josh Smith away from the Hawks.

I like the move by the Warriors to bring Maggette on board. No matter what was being floated in the media by Maggette and his handlers I always knew he desparately wanted to get a deal that paid more than the mid-level exception teams like the Pistons, Celtics, and Spurs were offering. In addition to that he was not going to be happy coming off the bench for any of those teams. At the very least the Warriors found someone they know can give them the 20+ points per game Baron Davis gave them now it just remains to be seen if Monta Ellis is ready to be a full time point guard in the NBA.

As for the Clippers intent to make a run at Josh Smith it is going to be a tough road to hoe for them as the Hawks have gone on record saying they will match any offer thrown his way. The Clippers need to do something here or else the signing of Davis means little in the grand scheme of things while the Hawks cannot afford to lose a young dynamo like Smith who is just coming into his own. It is surely going to be an interesting few days coming up in the NBA as teams scramble to sign and re-sign players.

Last edited by doublee; 07-08-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Davis officially signed today, so too bad for him that Brand left. But he's got loads of money in his hometown, so I'm not feeling too bad for him.

Still out there: Iguodala, Josh Smith, Okafor, Posey.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I doubt Igoudala is going anywhere. After his playoff performance I doubt anyone is going to give any kind of an offer that Philly either cannot afford to match or will not match.

Okafor is rumored to know be high on the Clippers list. He keeps turning down overtures from the Bobcats to sign long term and the Clippers may just be desperate for a big man that they will throw serious cash at him to come out and take Brand's spot. Although with the emergence of Chris Kaman this past season I would think Smith is a better fit since he is a more athletic player whereas Okafor is your more traditional low post player which they already have in Kaman.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Big, big pickup for the Hornets as they signed James Posey: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3492206

I can't blame him for taking money and going to an up-and-coming contending team. But at 31, signing Posey to a longer deal may have been something the Celtics regret, so it's not the end of the world.