Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default GB fans...1 of a kind

For those who don't know the tradition, the following is proof of what this team means to these fans. It's one thing that Packer gear passes for black tie affairs in GB but when it comes to clearing the stadium, they line up by the ton...

Packers fans show their love ... and craziness

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Attention fans with tickets in Section 130, Row 58 for Sunday's NFC Championship game:

Your seating area is cleaner because of me.

Like wearing a Cheesehead, volunteering for stadium snow removal in frigid temperatures is a way to show affection for the Green Bay Packers.

After participating, I'm not sure which is goofier....

I answered the call when the Packers issued a news release asking for Thursday night help. So did hundreds of others who leaped to Lambeau Field despite snowy conditions and bitter wind chill.

A line of men, women and teenagers (ages 15-and-up only) actually started forming about five hours before gates opened. Ultimately, there were far more people than shovels.

To ensure an orderly process, the Packers only allow 300 workers inside with no exceptions. Not even bringing your own equipment can provide access.

There was sincere disappointment from those Wisconsinites who didn't make the first cut. For full effect, pinch your nose and say "Geez, we were so close."....

As stadium employees bark orders like drill sergeants, workers quickly stockpile snow from each row and toss it down a long metal chute leading to the field. The snow is then plowed, placed in a dump truck and driven away. Once a section is completed (it takes about 15 minutes), everyone gathers to move the chute think Amish barn-raising to another one.

Sure, the operation isn't fancy. But it beats the process of yesteryear when snow was heaved into tubs and carried out.

With three inches of thick snow having accumulated, Thursday night's clean-up was scheduled to take at least two hours. I toiled for 30 minutes screwing up just once when accidentally clocking someone with a shovel full of slush before leaving to interview Ted Eisenreich, the Packers' director of facility operations.

Eisenreich explained that snow removal is a must so fans don't slip on ice trying to reach their seats for Sunday's Packers-New York Giants game. He also said volunteerism is necessary because the Green Bay area isn't big enough to provide enough contracted employees for the job.

"Every time we do this, I'm amazed at the turnout," Eisenreich said. "We couldn't do this without them."

The Packers pay workers $8 an hour, but money isn't the draw. Green Bay resident Glenn Gardipee, who first shoveled stadium snow 30 years ago, said participation "is part of the community support of the team." Eisenreich said some fans without game tickets come because "they just want to get inside Lambeau Field and this is their opportunity."

But the overriding reason struck me when seeing roughly 100 people still in line more than an hour after the cleaning process had begun. They were waiting to replace workers who left early.

While heading to cash my voucher hey, $4 goes a long way in Green Bay I recalled an earlier conversation with David Stuckman. A carpenter by trade, Stuckman had driven roughly 60 miles from Sheboygan in hopes of performing even more manual labor during his off-time.

I asked why and his answer now makes perfect sense.

"It's just the craziness of being a Packers fan."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7690574
Old 01-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Hmmmmm.... I like Green Bay fans. .

Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

You should say you like those GB fans...

The majority you'll see around those parts are quite a bit more well fed than that & not lookers by any stretch...
Old 01-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Haha fair enough I like those GB fans
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Packer fans are complete nuts..........................My wife and I just had our third child. The doctor is a Packer season ticket holder. He travels from Memphis to Green Bay for every home game. Therefore we could not see him on Friday before or Monday after a home game. My wife's due date was January 14, but he planned to induce her labor on January 7 so he would not miss the home playoff game. Lucky for us my wife delivered on Christmas eve...which was the day after my Bears gave them a whipping. Of course he wanted to put me and my Bears clothing out of the delivery room, except since I am paying him he could not.
until I'm Tiger dead
Old 01-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
You should say you like those GB fans...

The majority you'll see around those parts are quite a bit more well fed than that & not lookers by any stretch...
And neither were those chicks... the two on the ends got "love handles" and the one in the middle has a rolls... Oh, and they all need bigger boobs!
Old 01-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
Mr. D
Sports Enthusiast

Mr. D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
And neither were those chicks... the two on the ends got "love handles" and the one in the middle has a rolls... Oh, and they all need bigger boobs!
what do they need to show to be hot, their Ribs lol
Old 01-19-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry we're not up to you're "East Coast" standards in Wisconsin, Boston. Maybe if these chicks lived by you they would get liposuction and boob jobs just to fit in. If they didn't have any fat, they wouldn't have been outside in bikinis anyway. (That was a COLD day)

I'll take any of those girls over any girl you could find me in Hawaii. I really love Wisconsin girls.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Just about every girl has rolls when they are hunched over like that....id put butter on them any day
Old 01-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post

I'll agree with the last line just cuz I tend to dehydrate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
Just about every girl has rolls when they are hunched over like that....id put butter on them any day
:lol:

Not to be 'pun-ish', coach, but you're on a roll lately...
Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by deavobadger View Post
Sorry we're not up to you're "East Coast" standards in Wisconsin, Boston. Maybe if these chicks lived by you they would get liposuction and boob jobs just to fit in. If they didn't have any fat, they wouldn't have been outside in bikinis anyway. (That was a COLD day)

I'll take any of those girls over any girl you could find me in Hawaii. I really love Wisconsin girls.
Easy there.... I was just joking around And by the way... what exactly are "east coast" standard anyway??? I'm guessing teeth, an education? Help me out...

But seriously... no need to get into this debate... I've been to well over 100 countries in this world and I can assure you... there are no women on this planet like American women!! They are #1 Most beautiful in the world!!

Last edited by boston_aloha; 01-19-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well at least in Wisconsin if you see what purports to be a girl on the street, you can be reasonably certain that it actually is a girl.

Where I live (San Francisco), you can't always be so sure! :lol:
Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well at least in Wisconsin if you see what purports to be a girl on the street, you can be reasonably certain that it actually is a girl.

Where I live (San Francisco), you can't always be so sure! :lol:
Yeah, that's true. SF is like a minefield like that! lqtm
Closed Thread