Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...
 
Dano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,076
Dano will become famous soon enough
Default Unit Rankings

Guys let me know your feelings about this. I really can't see where they come up with some of these.

The Sporting News Unit Rankings


OFFENSE

Backfields
1. West Virginia
2. Michigan
3. Texas
4. Texas A&M
5. Southern Cal
Five others:
Boston College, California, Clemson, Georgia and Hawaii. Where the $#*^ is Arkansas?

Lines
1. Southern Cal
2. Oklahoma
3. Michigan
4. Georgia Tech
5. Maryland
Five Others:
Boise State,BYU,Oregon St.,Rutgers and Wisconsin

Receivers
1. Texas
2. Penn State
3. California
4. Florida
5. Oklahoma
Five Others:
Hawaii, Louisville, LSU, Maryland and Southern Cal

DEFENSE

Lines
1. LSU
2. USC
3. Wisconsin
4. Texas
5. TCU
Five others:
Arizona State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Southern Miss. and Virginia Tech

Linebackers
1. USC
2. Virginia Tech
3. Texas
4. Penn State
5. LSU
Five others:
Boston College, Ohio State, Oregon State Southern Miss and TCU

Secondaries
1. Southern Cal (Jesus they are loaded)
2. Miami
3. UCLA
4. Penn State
5. Oklahoma
Five others:
Auburn, Georgia, Rutgers, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin.
__________________
Goal: 20,000 replies ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page) "Did You Ever Watch an Old Movie on TV and Wonder How Many People in the Crowd Scenes Are Dead?" George Carlin.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1
 
da12ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,994
da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default

If backfields include QBs and tailbacks then Arkansas doesn't belong in the top five. Neither does USC.
__________________
[Seattle Mariners][Oakland Raiders][USC Trojans][Orlando Magic]

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...
 
Dano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,076
Dano will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
If backfields include QBs and tailbacks then Arkansas doesn't belong in the top five. Neither does USC.
You must work for the SN. Let me remind you of Arkansas backfield.
Darren McFadden, Nothing more to say about him. Felix Jones. Would be an All American on any other team in D-1. And in most people's opinion, Full back, but can play anywhere, Peyton Hillis. If Hillis stays healthy last season. Arkansas would have most likely been playing Ohio State in the BCSNCG. And QB Casey Dick who has recovered from his nagging back injury of last season isn't terrible.
With your view at this QB plays a big part, with Arkansas running back alone, they could have the 119 rank QB and still be in the top ten. Keep your eye on this and see what I mean.
And In USC case, I do believe they belong there. With Josh Booty at QB, and super Fullback Stanley Havili and RB's Chancey Washington, Emmanuel Moody and CJ Gable. That's good, then you add The best freshman for the upcoming season in McKnight And they truly belong. I see them better than West Virginia as far a depth goes.

If your a football fan, then keep your eye on Peyton Hillis. With a new offense and a new role, plus he's a proven leader. This kid is pure Football.

__________________
Goal: 20,000 replies ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page) "Did You Ever Watch an Old Movie on TV and Wonder How Many People in the Crowd Scenes Are Dead?" George Carlin.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Jeff Levers
Coach Levers
 
Jeff Levers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 176
Jeff Levers is on a distinguished road
Default

Does the Sporting News get a kickback every time they mention Texas as well? I know they are a very good team, but being top 5 in the country at 4 of the 6 units they listed is a bit much.

I definitely agree about Arkansas, their RB's are ridiculous. Saw them in person at SEC Champ and Jones really impressed me. McFadden was banged up that game but still played really well. I have no idea how they aren't on the list at all, much less in the top 5.

I know a lot of you will say it is the Gator bias in me, but I think their receivers group should be higher. They had an extremely talented group already with Harvin, Caldwell, Ingram, Murphy, Fayson, and they added Deonte Thompson (#3 ranked WR) and Aaron Hernandez (#1 TE) to that group.

Penn State doesn't have anywhere near the depth that UF does, and while I don't pay a whole lot of attention to Pac-10 football, Cal only has DeSean Jackson from what I have seen. Maybe one of our west coast people could enlighten me to the rest of Cal's WR group.

That said, it's not like these are experts picking this list. It is just someone's opinion on the groups, just like if one of us decided to create the list.
__________________
We're not cocky, we're just that good...

Gator fan on the UF-OSU basketball game intro

Last edited by Jeff Levers; 07-01-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Jeff Levers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: State College, PA/Newtown, CT
Posts: 7,158
Alex will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Levers View Post
Penn State doesn't have anywhere near the depth that UF does, and while I don't pay a whole lot of attention to Pac-10 football, Cal only has DeSean Jackson from what I have seen. Maybe one of our west coast people could enlighten me to the rest of Cal's WR group.
Quite the contrary. Penn State has three receivers with two years of starting experience (all juniors) and all three had 40+ catches last season. Terrell Golden is a senior and has been seeing the field since his redshirt freshman season. Chris Bell was one of the top receiving prospects two years ago. Add in Andrew Quarless at TE (unclear whether this list includes the TE as an OL or a WR), one of the rising stars across the nation, and Brett Brackett, Kevin Cousins, and James McDonald for depth and you get a pretty nice unit. PSU's receivers just didn't get much attention last season since Morelli sucked rotten eggs up until the Outback Bowl, and then that was probably one of the poorer performances for the receivers as a group (a ton of dropped balls).

I don't know whether PSU has the #2 receiving corps but it's without a doubt top 5.
__________________
Penn State '12
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Quite the contrary. Penn State has three receivers with two years of starting experience (all juniors) and all three had 40+ catches last season. Terrell Golden is a senior and has been seeing the field since his redshirt freshman season. Chris Bell was one of the top receiving prospects two years ago. Add in Andrew Quarless at TE (unclear whether this list includes the TE as an OL or a WR), one of the rising stars across the nation, and Brett Brackett, Kevin Cousins, and James McDonald for depth and you get a pretty nice unit. PSU's receivers just didn't get much attention last season since Morelli sucked rotten eggs up until the Outback Bowl, and then that was probably one of the poorer performances for the receivers as a group (a ton of dropped balls).

I don't know whether PSU has the #2 receiving corps but it's without a doubt top 5.
Agreed. Penn State has the best receiving corps in the Big Ten and quite possibly school history. The old man will open it up with Morelli being a senior (much like 2005 with Robinson) and we'll see what they got. If only the line and RB situation was more stable...eh Alex?



Backfields include the QB in these ratings. Just stating that to clear the confusion. Michigan has a true freshman backing up Henne. I kind of like Wisconsin' backfield more than UM's overall...as a unit. Donovan and Evridge are really solid. I know they lack starting experience but I love their promise and Donovan's play last year. Plus Hill is a beast.

Then again...I'm Wisconsin crazy. :thumbup:

I don't know too much outside the Big Ten...LOL...but I like Penn State's secondary, receivers, and linebacking unit as being up there with the nation's elite. Michigan's offensive line is probably the best in the Big Ten...with only Wisconsin having a beef there. D-line in the Big Ten goes to Wisconsin...hands down.

I like Connor over James L. at OSU but I think we may have more depth at linebacker than the Lions. It's close and they have the experience so I'll give 'em the nod for now. Larry Grant is a star in the making at LB in Columbus.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: State College, PA/Newtown, CT
Posts: 7,158
Alex will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Agreed. Penn State has the best receiving corps in the Big Ten and quite possibly school history. The old man will open it up with Morelli being a senior (much like 2005 with Robinson) and we'll see what they got. If only the line and RB situation was more stable...eh Alex?



Backfields include the QB in these ratings. Just stating that to clear the confusion. Michigan has a true freshman backing up Henne. I kind of like Wisconsin' backfield more than UM's overall...as a unit. Donovan and Evridge are really solid. I know they lack starting experience but I love their promise and Donovan's play last year. Plus Hill is a beast.

Then again...I'm Wisconsin crazy. :thumbup:

I don't know too much outside the Big Ten...LOL...but I like Penn State's secondary, receivers, and linebacking unit as being up there with the nation's elite. Michigan's offensive line is probably the best in the Big Ten...with only Wisconsin having a beef there. D-line in the Big Ten goes to Wisconsin...hands down.

I like Connor over James L. at OSU but I think we may have more depth at linebacker than the Lions. It's close and they have the experience so I'll give 'em the nod for now. Larry Grant is a star in the making at LB in Columbus.
The OL doesn't particularly concern me. Losing Brown is big but Cadogan slides over there with some starting experience and it's widely believed that he's a better fit at tackle than guard.

OSU may have PSU beat depth-wise this year but in the coming years I don't think anyone in the nation will rival the talent and depth that Penn State has at LB. Even losing Connor after '07, PSU's linebackers will probably be collectively better in '08. They brought in a terrific group of talented LB's in the past recruiting class and they have possibly assembled an even better one so far this year.
__________________
Penn State '12
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
digital7
Deep South
 
digital7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 911
digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default

That list is bogus. What the hell does Sporting News know about College Football anyways?
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1
 
da12ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,994
da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default

Re: Arkansas

Having a stellar running game and an average QB to me doesn't equal a top-five backfield. That's like saying a really good QB compensates for an okay running game (USC).

I know a few Arkansas fans and they're not convinced Casey Dick is the answer. The Razorbacks are already stocking up on arms (latest one being a walk-on from California, Brian Reader) in the event Dick doesn't work out.

Re: Cal receivers

Robert Jordan, Lavelle Hawkins and Syd'Quan Thompson were the Bears' secondary receivers. They're are solid bunch, Jordan being the best out of the bunch. Jeff Tedford's offense relies on a lot of short passes (coincidentally West Coast), so in a sense Marshawn Lynch was probably their second best WR last year. Whether Justin Forsett can pick up where Lynch and Arrington left off, who knows.
__________________
[Seattle Mariners][Oakland Raiders][USC Trojans][Orlando Magic]

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: State College, PA/Newtown, CT
Posts: 7,158
Alex will become famous soon enough
Default

Southern Cal has an ungodly amount of talent at running back. If they can't produce a top 5 backfield with that kind of talent there's something wrong. I wish I could take just one of their 4* or 5* tailbacks for Penn State. They must have 7 or 8 just from the past two classes.
__________________
Penn State '12
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 AM   #11
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1
 
da12ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,994
da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default

None of the RBs from the last class stood out. This year Marc Tyler and Joe McKnight (especially Joe) should be good, but Marc is coming off a terrible foot injury. Plus a running back is only as good as his offensive line as USC has to replace a couple more guys in the trenches. #1 line my ass.
__________________
[Seattle Mariners][Oakland Raiders][USC Trojans][Orlando Magic]

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

I'm VERY concerned about the O-Line in Happy Valley. I'd say that is their glaring weakness. D-Line is a little unstable too but Larry Johnson gets the job done there so I'm not as concerned.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro Football Rankings Week 10 bama4256 National Football League 2 11-13-2002 06:11 PM
2002 Football Rankings Week 3 bama4256 National Football League 7 09-26-2002 12:42 AM
Pro Football Rankings Week 2 bama4256 National Football League 7 09-18-2002 11:00 PM
Preseason NBA power rankings - How is your team doing? Marc National Basketball Association 4 10-11-2001 08:32 AM
Professional Baseball Rankings Week 15 bama4256 Major League Baseball 8 07-17-2001 05:27 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.