Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-25-2002, 12:55 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question 2002 Football Rankings Week 3

All rankings are based on all games played from Sept. 5th through Sept. 23rd. Rankings are based on overall record of each team, winning percentage, strength of schedule, points scored overall, points allowed overall, and how well they played in a particular week. It's difficult to rank teams after only one game so bear with me until five games are completed-then I use my secret formula to determine the rankings of each team. Enjoy them, and see where your favorite team is ranked and why? Oh, one more thing. Don't bet your house and car on any of my predictions. You will go broke. I just like to do it.

1.-NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS--(3-0)-1.000-(PF-115-PA-59)-Patriot's beat Kansas City in overtime, at home, 41-38. Pat's are still number one to me until they are beaten. It shows a lot of character or grit in a team, when they win it in overtime. Not really, that just sounded good. Also, involved some luck, and a good kick from field goal kicker Adam Vinatieri. He kicked a 35-yarder to win it. Best kicker in the league to me. Quarterback Tom Brady completed 39-of-54 for 410 yards, and he threw four touchdown passes. He tossed one interception. He has now passed for 973 yards so far this season. Wide receiver Troy Brown caught 16 passes for 176 yards and one TD. Wow! He now has 31 receptions for the young season. He set a new Patriot record with those 16 receptions. Receiver David Patten caught seven passes for 108 yards and one TD. Quite an offense. Pat's linebacker Ted Johnson led the defense with 13 tackles. Next game Sept. 29th against San Diego in San Diego. I pick San Diego to win in an upset.

2.-MIAMI DOLPHINS--(3-0)-(1.000)-PF-100-PA-37-They say a great defense will win games. Well, their defense and offense beat the New York Jets in Miami, 30-3. Fins snapped their eighth consecutive loss streak to the Jets with that sweet victory. Ricky Williams is earning his pay. He rushed for 151 yards on 24 carries and scored one rushing TD. He leads the NFL in rushing with 394 yards. Defensive end Jason Taylor had six tackles and one sack for Miami. Dolphins safety, Brock Marion returned an interception for a 62-yard gain. Next game Sept. 29th against Kansas City in KC. I pick Miami to win.

3.-DENVER BRONCOS--(3-0)-1.000-(PF-75-PA-53)-Broncos beat Buffalo, 28-23 in Denver. Quarterback Brian Griese completed 19-of-31 for 211 yards and two touchdowns. But he was sacked four times. Better be careful about that. He has been known to be injury prone. Rookie running back Clinton Portis out of Miami rushed for 103 yards on 18 carries and scored one rushing TD. Wide receiver Rod Smith caught seven passes for 94 yards and one TD. Broncos rolled up 342 total net yards in offense. Linebacker John Mobley had only four tackles, but he registered one sack. The defense had a total of four sacks. Broncos are 3-0 for the first time since 1998, when they won their second straight Super Bowl. Next game against Baltimore on Sept. 30th on Monday Night Football in Baltimore. I pick Denver to win.

4.-NEW ORLEANS SAINTS--(3-0)-1.000-(PF-90-PA-63)-Saints overcame a 20 point deficit and beat Chicago in Illinois, 29-23. Quarterback Aaron Brooks completed 22-of-34 for 233 yards and threw three TD's. Rookie wide receiver Donte Stallworth out of Tennessee caught four passes for 43 yards and scored on a 29-yard TD pass in the fourth quarter. Safety Sammy Knight led the defense with 11 tackles and one interception. Defensive tackle Norman Hand registered one sack. Next game Sept. 29th against Detroit in Detroit. I pick New Orleans to win

5.-OAKLAND RAIDERS--(2-0)-1.000-(PF-61-PA-34)-Raiders enjoyed a bye this week. They must prepare to play Tennessee in Oakland on Sept. 29th. I pick Oakland to win.

6.-TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS--(2-1)-.667-(PF-71-PA-40)-Bucs beat St. Louis on Monday Night Football in Tampa, 26-14. Quarterback Brad Johnson completed 23-of-32 for 199 yards and one TD. Defense intercepted four passes off of Kurt Warner. Cornerback Ronde Barber led the defense with 11 tackles. Defense also registered five sacks. Warren "big mouth" Sapp only had two tackles, but had one of the five sacks. Head coach Jon Gruden has his boys going now. Next game Sept. 29th against Cincinnati in Cincy. I pick Tampa Bay to win unless it is very cold.

7.PHILADELPHIA EAGLES--(2-1)-.667-(PF-105-PA-47)-Eagles demolished Dallas in Philadelphia, 44-13. Quarterback Donovan McNabb completed 24-of-37 passes for 287 yards and three touchdowns. He also ran for 67 yards and scored one rushing TD. Eagles offense ran up 447 total net yards. Wide receiver Antonio "Green Bay will miss me" Freeman caught six passes for 118 yards and one TD. Receiver Todd Pinkston in his second year, out of Southern Mississippi, caught five passes for 48 yards and two TD's. Defensive end Hugh Douglas registered one sack to give him three on the year. Next game Sept. 29th against Houston at home. I pick Philadelphia to win.

8.-SAN DIEGO CHARGERS--(3-0)-1.000-(PF-81-PA-24-Chargers beat Arizona, 23-15 in Tempe, Arizona. Linebacker Junior "ageless" Seau led the stingy defense with nine tackles. The other good linebacker, Donnie Edwards had five tackles, and returned an interception for a 20-yard TD in the fourth quarter. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson rushed for 91 yards on 26 carries and scored two rushing TD's. Quarterback Drew Brees completed 17-of-31 for 181 yards. He threw one interception. He has really taken charge of the offense, and looks pretty much like a veteran player. Next game Sept. 29th against New England at home.

9-CHICAGO BEARS--(2-1)-.667-(PF-64-PA-65)-Bears lost a close one to the Saints at home, 29-23. Quarterback Jim Miller completed 26-of-40 for 236 yards and two TD's. He threw one interception. Running back Anthony Thomas rushed for 111 yards on 27 carries. Bears receiver Marty Booker caught eight passes for 97 yards and one TD. Linebacker Brian Urlacher led the team with nine tackles, seven were solo. Chicago had won its previous 12 games that were decided by a touchdown or less. Next game Sept. 29th against Buffalo in Buffalo. I pick Buffalo to win.

10.-CAROLINA PANTHERS--(3-0)-1.000(PF-62-PA-28)-Panthers defeated Minnesota, 21-14 in Minnesota. This is unreal Carolina being 3-0. How long will it last? Not too long I think. But I've been wrong many times in my life. Offense gained 370 total nets yards in offense. Quarterback Rodney Peete sure has revived his career it seems. He completed 20-of-30 for 221 yards and one TD. He did throw two interceptions though. Running back Lamar Smith rushed for 154 yards on 30 carries and scored two rushing TD's. Panthers defensive end Mike Rucker had three sacks on the day. Now has five for the year. Safety Deon Grant had three interceptions. Wow, and Wow again. He played his college ball for Tennessee. He has 12 tackles for the season so far. Next game Sept. 29th against Green Bay at Green Bay. I pick Carolina to upset the Packers.

11-GREEN BAY PACKERS--(2-1)-.667-(PF-94-PA-100)-Packers beat a feisty Detroit Lions team, 37-31 in Detroit's new stadium. Quarterback Brett Favre completed 31-of-47 for 357 yards and three touchdowns. He tossed one interception. Favre moved past Warren Moon for fourth place on the all-time list with 294 touchdown passes. Packers receiver Donald Driver caught fives passes for 94 yards and one TD. Tight end Bubba Franks caught nine passes for 62 yards and one TD. Running back Najeh Davenport rushed for 84 yards on 22 carries. Packers cornerback Mike McKenzie had five tackles and one interceptions. The defense had four interceptions total on the day. Field goal kicker Ryan Longwell kicked three successful field goals. His longest was a 47-yarder. Next game Sept. 29th against Carolina at home.

12.-SAN FRANCISCO 49ers--(2-1)-.667-(PF-50-PA-47)-49ers beat Washington in SF, 20-10. 49ers lost to the Redskins in preseason, but won when it really counted. Running back Garrison Hearst rushed for 97 yards on 19 carries. Wide receiver Terrell Owens, who is known for his great catching ability scored on a 38-yard run in the second quarter. He acted like he was going to pass the ball, before taking off for the goal line. 49ers enjoy a bye this coming week.

13.-INDIANAPOLIS COLTS--(2-1)-.667-(PF-64-PA-49)-Colts beat the hapless Houston Texans, 23-3 in Houston. Quarterback Peyton Manning completed 21-of-28 for 272 yards and two TD's. Colts receiver Marvin Harrison caught eight passes for 110 yards. Reggie Wayne, who played college ball for Miami caught three passes for 53 yards and one TD. Colts field goal kicker Mike Vanderjagt, kicked three successful field goals. Defense held Houston to 204 yards and three points. Linebacker Mike Peterson had 12 tackles on the day, and defensive end Brad Scioli registered two sacks on the day. He's a third year veteran out of Penn State. Enjoys a bye this coming week.

14.-CLEVELAND BROWNS--(2-1)-.667-(PF-90-PA-75)-Browns beat Tennessee in overtime, 31-28 in Nashville. Quarterback Tim Couch completed 36-of-50 for 326 yards and three TD's. He threw one interception. Rookie wide receiver Andre' Davis out of Virginia Tech caught five passes for 99 yards and two TD's. Dennis Northcutt, Browns, scored on a 74-yard punt return. He had a 8-yard TD pass to take the game to overtime. Phil Dawson kicked a 33-yard field goal to win it for the Browns in overtime. Cleveland should be 3-0, but Dwayne Rudd made that bonehead mistake in their opener against Kansas City. Next game Sept. 29th against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. I pick Cleveland to win.

15.-NEW YORK GIANTS--(2-1)-.667-(PF-48-PA-43)-Giants squeaked out a win Sunday against Seattle, 9-6 in East Rutherford, NJ. Quarterback Kerry Collins passed for 282 yards, while completing 23-of-38. He has already passed for 931 yards this season. His QB rating is 81.3. Receiver Amani Toomer caught four passes for 100 yards. Matt Bryant kicked three successful field goals for the Giants. The winning one was a 47-yarder in the fourth period. Next game Sept. 29th against Arizona in Arizona. I pick Arizona to win.

16.-KANSAS CITY CHIEFS--(1-2)-.333-(PF-94-PA-103)-Chiefs won first game of the season in overtime against Cleveland, but lost in overtime to the World Champion New England Patriots, 41-38. Quarterback Trent Green threw for 149 yards, completing 16-of-25. He threw three touchdowns, and threw two interceptions. Priest Holmes, last year's NFL rushing champion, rushed for 180 yards on 30 carries and scored two rushing TD's. He now has 386 yards rushing for the year. Next game Sept. 29th against Miami at home.

17.-BUFFALO BILLS--(1-2)-.333-(PF-99-PA-104)-Bills lost to Denver, 28-23 in Denver. Quarterback Drew Bledsoe completed 27-of-41 for 283 yards and two TD's. Running back Travis Henry could only rush for 35 yards on 12 carries, but he did score one rushing TD. Receiver Eric "I want a winning Super Bowl ring so badly" Moulds caught nine passes for 96 yards and one TD. The Bills defense sacked Denver's Brian Griese four times. Next game Sept. 29th against Chicago at home.

18.-TENNESSEE TITANS--(1-2)-.333-(PF-68-PA-76)-Titans lost to Cleveland in overtime, 31-28 at home. Tennessee only had 187 total net yards in offense. They had 13 first downs to Cleveland's 26. Linebacker Keith Bulluck led the Titans defense with 10 tackles, and cornerback Andre Dyson returned an interception back for a 16-yard TD in the second quarter. Next game Sept. 29th against Oakland in Oakland.

19.-JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS--(1-1)-.500-(PF-48-PA-44)-Jags enjoyed a bye this week. Next game Sept. 29th against the New York Jets in Jacksonville. I pick Jacksonville to win.

20.-PITTSBURGH STEELERS--(0-2)-.000-(PF-31-PA-60)-Steelers enjoyed a bye and I hope Kordell Stewart is ready to be the quarterback he was in the 2001 season. If not, find a new quarterback and soon. Next game Sept. 29th against Cleveland at home.

21.-ST. LOUIS RAMS--(0-3)-.000-(PF-51-PA-75)-Lost to Tampa Bay, 26-14 on Monday Night Football. Head coach Mike Martz must be pulling his hair out by now. What is going on here? QB Kurt Warner completed 30-of-45 for 301 yards, but not touchdowns. He did throw four interceptions. He was sacked five times. Next game Sept. 29th against Dallas in St. Louis. I pick St. Louis to win.

22.-ATLANTA FALCONS--(1-2)-.333-(PF-77-PA-54)-Falcons beat Cincinnati, 30-3 at home. Falcons defense only allowed the Bengals 191 total net yeards on offense, while the Falcons offense had 306. Quarterback Michael Vick learns more each week. He completed 16-of-26 for 174 and two TD's. He rushed for 56 yards on five carries. Rookie running back T.J. Duckett rushed for 67 yards on 17 carries. Falcons linebacker Keith Brooking led the defense with 10 solo tackles. Cornerback Ashley Ambrose had one interception. Enjoys a bye this week.

23.-WASHINGTON REDSKINS--(1-2)-.333-(PF-48-PA-80)-Redskins lost to San Francisco, 20-10 in SF. Quarterback Shane Matthews completed 17-of-28 for 169 yards and one TD. I think head coach Steve Spurrier is going to make a change at the quarterbacking position real soon. Patrick Ramsey will be next. Running back Stephen Davis could only muster 59 yards on 13 carries. The most amazing thing for the Skins, was the performance of linebacker Jessie Armistead. He had 17 solo tackles. Wow! He now has 32 on the year. Enjoys a needed bye this week.

24.-ARIZONA CARDINALS--(1-2)-.333-(PF-62-PA-67)-Cardinals lost to San Diego, 23-15 at home. Quarterback Jake Plummer completed 17-of-36 for 229 yards and two touchdowns, but he threw two interceptions. Wide receiver Martay Jenkins caught three passes for 70 yards and one TD. Safety Justin Lucas returned an interception for a 7-yard gain. Next game Sept. 29th against the New York Giants at home.

25.-DALLAS COWBOYS--(1-2)-.333-(PF-44-PA-76)-Cowboys got destroyed by the Philadelphia Eagles, 44-13 in Philadelphia. Reggie Swinton's 100-yard kickoff return was the only touchdown for the Cowboys. Quarterback Quincy Carter passed for 201 yards, while completing 21-of-35. Running back Emmitt Smith gained only 52 yards on 11 carries. Cowboys linebacker Dexter Coakley, led the defense with 11 tackles, seven were solo tackles. Defensive end Greg Ellis had two sacks, to give him five on the year. he's been a monster this season so far. Defensive lineman, and ex-Saints player, La'Roi Glover registered him a sack. His third of the year. Next game Sept. 29th against St. Louis in St. Louis.

26.-NEW YORK JETS--(1-2)-.333-(PF-47-PA-105)-Jets are playing terribly. They were predicted to really compete for their division in 2002. But still to early to call. Lost to Miami, 30-3 in Miami. Had only 13 first downs the entire game. Also only 189 total net yards in offense. Next game Sept. 29th against Jacksonville in Jacksonville.

27.DETROIT LIONS--(0-3)-.000-(PF-59-PA-117)-Lions played valiantly against the Green Bay Packers and lost in overtime, 37-31, at home. Climbed in the rankings with that tough loss, and played pretty good against a good team. Quarterback Joey Harrington completed 15-of-35 for 182 yards and two TD's. But he threw four interceptions. Typical rookie mistakes. Lions linebacker Chris Claiborne led the defense with 13 tackles and one interception, which he returned for a 43-yard gain. Next game Sept. 29th against New Orleans at home.

28.-SEATTLE SEAHAWKS--(0-3)-.000-(PF-36-PA-64)-Being in the NFC this year has not been kind to them so far. Lost to the New York Giants, 9-6, in New Jersey. Running back Shaun Alexander has not busted loose yet. He rushed for only 37 yards on 14 carries. Next game Sept. 29th against Minnesota in Seattle.

29.-HOUSTON TEXANS--(1-2)-.500-(PF-25-PA-57)-Texans play more like an expansion team each week. They lost to Indianapolis, 23-3 at home. Quarterback David Carr was sacked four times. Tex's rookie running back Jonathan Wells out of Ohio State rushed for 93 yards on 14 carries. Next game Sept. 29th against Philadelphia at Philly.

30.-BALTIMORE RAVENS--(0-2)-.000-(PF-7-PA-35)-Ravens enjoyed a bye this week. Not really sure if they enjoyed it or not. Hope they are prepared to play Denver Sept. 30th on Monday Night Football at home. I don't think they will unless Denver has a big letdown.

31.-MINNESOTA VIKINGS--(0-3)-.000-(PF76-PA-93)-Lost to Carolina t home, 21-14. Vikes wide receiver is more trouble than he is worth. He was arrested for bumping or pushing a school street guard with his car. He is a troubled young man or a spoiled brat or both. Quarterback Duante Culpepper completed 19-of-30 for 191 yards and one TD. But he threw four interceptions. He was sacked five times. Culpepper is a NFL bust. Next game Sept. 29th against Seattle in Seattle.

32.-CINCINNATI BENGALS--(0-3)-.000-(PF-16-PA-84)-Lost to Atlanta, 30-3 in Atlanta. This team has no offense. Had only 11 first downs and had only 191 total net yards in offense. Cats quarterback, Aliki Smith may start next week in place of Jon Kitna. Bengals linebacker Takeo Spikes led the defense with nine tackles. Spikes played his college ball for the Auburn Tigers. Next game Sept. 29th against Tampa Bay at home.

Written by:Keith Thronson Mobile, Alabama

Last edited by bama4256; 09-25-2002 at 11:09 AM.
bama4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:28 AM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

The Steelers are 0-2, not 1-1.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Thanks for the correction-I'm half blind looking at those boxscores and standings lol
Old 09-25-2002, 04:04 PM   #4
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Good run down Bama. Cant disagree with too much really.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:19 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Carolina is 3-0, but how many wins do their opponents so far have? ZERO. No way they belong in top-10, that's laughable. And I have to say that Philly belongs top-five, for sure. They've been ultra-impressive.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:47 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Carolina was the worst team coming into the 2002 season-it is very commendable they are 3-0. they deserve respect like 4-0 Kentucky does. We know Kentucky won't stay undefeated, but they deserve the respect right now like Carolina. If I was doing the polls in college football Kentucky would be around 15 or 16.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:25 PM   #7
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Nice work Keith I couldn't ahve typed it better myself.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:42 AM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Thanks J really appreciate it.