Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Orange Bowl Thread

I didn't see a thread on this game anywhere. If I missed it, sorry. I initially posted this in the Steve Slaton thread, but decided it demanded its own thread, given the coaches comment I made toward the end.

Man, o man was that game last night interesting yet tedious at the same time.
Florida State is the only team this season (aside from Virginia Tech, who, in typical BeamerBall fashion, struggled since) that I'm pretty confident would whip the Mountaineers with their defense. I don't know if FSU's offense would be good enough to win over the 'Eers, but their defense was absolutely and completely brutal. In a good way.

Why is it that it's the warm weather teams who seem most affected by the warm weather in bowl games? FSU's players were cramping up and dropping like flies from midway through the fourth quarter on. I saw one PSU guy, the FB who hadn't really played that much throughout the game, who appeared to cramp up. He was the only one. The FSU guys looked absolutely miserable in weather that they should be prepared for. I realize they're from Tallahassee and not really privy to the beautiful Miami weather, but come on.

Seems to me to be a matter of preparation. Which is why, no matter how many wins each piles up, Joe Pa will always and forever be the better coach when compared to Bobby Bowden. (You can almost ignore the 7-1 lifetime head to head advantage, btw. Five of those had to be--I'm too lazy to check, tho--during the 25-year span of PSU over WVU while Bobby was the HC of the WVU.)
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Great game, but man was the kicking atrocious. Sometimes I wonder why more kickers don't use the toe kick for stuff inside of 30 yards. I'm guessing it's a rhythm thing.

My dad had a theory as to why so many more FSU players were experiencing cramps than Penn State players: margarita mix in the Gatorade tubs. It IS FSU, after all :lol:
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's amazing it could be that hot at night in the middle of January, but that's Miami, I guess. They kept showing Paterno pacing back and forth, and I kept feeling sorry for the old geezer. I hope someone gave him some fluids or something, but he looked on verge on passing out in that heat.

Doesn't Paterno have a superior head-to-head record against Bowden? That must be why he'll be considered a better coach than Bowden.

I'm beginning to hate the post-game interviews. Sure, the reporter chick is cute, but it is more of a formality/tradition than actually useful.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Hey! That's my favorite reporter chick! Can't take her off the field.
Besides, Bowden came over and screwed up the traditional interview of the winning coach. What an ass. I hate that guy.

Marc, I noted the superior head-to-head record, but excused Bowden at least five of those games, because he was coach of WVU. He had a not so great tenure while there. (May have attended one bowl game, though. I'd have to check.)

EDIT I checked. Until last night, Paterno had never beaten Bowden at FSU. Paterno's six wins over Bowden prior to last night were all during Bowden's time at West Virginia. Bowden coached WVU six of 25 years of futility against PSU.

MORE EDIT After checking it out, Bowden's record at WVU was much better than I thought it was. Years of upbringing sometimes cloud reality. Anyway, Bowden had only one losing season at West Virginia, and it appears, though I've not checked it, to have attended two bowl games in six years.

LAST EDIT, I PROMISE Bowden was 1-1 in bowl games with the Mountaineers, losing 49-13 to NCState in the 72 Peach Bowl, and winning 13-10 over NCState in the 75 Peach Bowl. Shortly after the win in Atlanta, he accepted a job with a former girl's college looking to make money and waves in football...

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 01-04-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

That sideline reporter is great looking for sure, but man did she ask some stupid questions. "Bobby what will you say to your kicker?" Jeez, what's he going to say, "I'll tell him to change his name and move to Mexico?"
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

It was a great game.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I watched most of it. It was pretty good, not great. I didn't like how the game came down to which team didn't make mistakes as opposed to which team made plays.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Wow, what an insane game. I got freakin 5 hours of sleep because of those overtimes, but it's all good. Props to both defenses for coming through and standing strong throughout the entire game. FSU put up a much better fight then I ever expected they would. But did anyone else notice the ridiculous amount of late hits Micheal Robinson took all throughout the 2nd half? And FSU only got called for roughing the passer once. And since Leon Washington couldn't block Poz head on and dove head first at his knees, no NFL for Poz this year.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

Jim Rome put it so eloquently: "I don't know if that was one of the greatest, or one of the worst games I've seen."
Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #10
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

As far as the cramping do forget down here in Florida especially south Florida it might be 70 degrees with 98% humidity.

I don't understand why either team relyed on thier kickers in OT. How can FSU have such crappy kickers every year? Aside from that Polish guy that plays for Oakland(to lazy to look up the spell) the story line has always come down to FSU's kickers.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush
As far as the cramping do forget down here in Florida especially south Florida it might be 70 degrees with 98% humidity.

I don't understand why either team relyed on thier kickers in OT. How can FSU have such crappy kickers every year? Aside from that Polish guy that plays for Oakland(to lazy to look up the spell) the story line has always come down to FSU's kickers.
Well the kicks were from a reasonable distance, it's not like they relied on the kickers to make 50 yarders each time in OT.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jim Rome put it so eloquently: "I don't know if that was one of the greatest, or one of the worst games I've seen."
That's because Jim Rome is a knucklehead.

The game wasn't one of the greatest, nor was it one of the worst games. It was some place in between rather than at either dramatic end of the spectrum. To me it was great, but I had something personally invested in the game. And it was dramatic as hell, so he certainly can't be worst ever. Rome is a fool.

Penn State probably wasn't as good as your typical #3, 10-1 football team and Florida St. probably wasn't as bad as they had been made out to be the past couple of weeks.

Those players were flying at the end of that game and the Seminoles made every adjustment they needed to make. Neither offense was great, but both teams showed that they occasionally could get something done and then the other responded to stop it from happening again. Austin Scott ran all over the Florida State defense in the first half, the second half saw the 'Noles get a little lower in making their tackles on Scott. Scott is tremendous at seeing a hole and getting through it, second half they let him see that hole and cut it off in a different manner.

That's one spot that PSU missed Tony Hunt, Hunt is better than Scott in two areas...making his own runs from nothing whereas Scott needs the offensive line and Scott can't block at all.

My sister called me at halftime. She was sitting in the third row. God damn I was jealous.

Quote:
But did anyone else notice the ridiculous amount of late hits Micheal Robinson took all throughout the 2nd half? And FSU only got called for roughing the passer once.
I witnessed the great amount of ****ing awesome shots Robinson took all throughout the 2nd half. He took the best from that Defense and kept getting up for another. I think the one they did call was right, but I'm glad they didn't call the other ones. You should only protect the QBs so much. He was taking big shots, but they weren't late, nor cheap.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #13
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
I witnessed the great amount of ****ing awesome shots Robinson took all throughout the 2nd half. He took the best from that Defense and kept getting up for another. I think the one they did call was right, but I'm glad they didn't call the other ones. You should only protect the QBs so much. He was taking big shots, but they weren't late, nor cheap.
Yea no doubt he was really tough last night, but it would be 3 seconds after he threw the ball and he would get thrown to the ground.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Doug, they were hitting him late. I wouldn't call any of the shots cheap, just late. It was obvious to practically everyone. And they should be called when they're late.
Yes, Robinson was the man, but... he shouldn't have had to take the abuse he did. There was one non-call that seemed to upset Tirico, and he was right.

mush: I know the weather in FL, I just returned to the frozen tundra of Boston from the warm, comfy confines of Palm Beach. What strikes me as peculiar is that all the cramping that stopped the game came from FSU players, who should be accustomed to the weather, since they play in similar circumstances (heat, humidity) during September and October.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Dave I guess the boys at FSU weren't conditioned properly then. Maybe to many prctices inside the air conditioned facilities?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote