Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #16
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default

I don't think Roethlisberger is an idiot for this.

The guy obviously loves motorcycles. If he loves motorcycles, I am not going to blame him for riding one in the city. First of all, it is not a law to wear one. So, in no way was he obligated to wear a helmet. I can understand why someone would not wear a helmet. He is just driving around in the city. As long as he is careful, odds are that he will not get into an accident. He just got into an unfortunate situation, where he did wreck.

The guy loves motorcycles. You can't blame him for doing something that is a passion to him. In reality, he was not taking a very big risk by driving his motorcycle without a helmet. He just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He owes nothing to anyone. He didn't let anyone down. Don't listen to that loser Pittsburgh-Post Gazette writer who is going around saying that Pittsburghers are mad at him. No one here is mad at him. All we want is for him to get better because he is an important person to our community.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #17
MountaineerDave
Where am I?
 
MountaineerDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,661
MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default

Well... they're reporting now that he doesn't have a PA motorcycle license.

So... not only is he an idiot for not wearing a helmet--Ellis, it may not be law to wear a helmet in PA, but it is absolutely completely MORONIC not to wear a helmet; it's just plain old irresponsible of the govt to have removed the requirement-- he's been riding around for... how long, almost two years? on his motorcycle illegally.

Niiiiice.

I love Ben as a player, but what this incident has revealed about him kinda pisses me off.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #18
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
Well... they're reporting now that he doesn't have a PA motorcycle license.

So... not only is he an idiot for not wearing a helmet--Ellis, it may not be law to wear a helmet in PA, but it is absolutely completely MORONIC not to wear a helmet; it's just plain old irresponsible of the govt to have removed the requirement-- he's been riding around for... how long, almost two years? on his motorcycle illegally.

Niiiiice.

I love Ben as a player, but what this incident has revealed about him kinda pisses me off.
An idiot for not wearing his helmet!?

Look, the man is like Miles Davis in Pittsburgh. When he is out there riding he wants to be more free and open. A helmet therefor would just change the mood and feel of the ride. I would bet you that if he were racing or doing tricks, he would wear a helmet.

As for driving with out a license... yeah I guess that was pretty stupid. But... we do not know yet if he does or does not have a license. I have not heard any official reports of that.

If no other argument is compelling enough for you at least let me revert to my libertarian views... HE IS A GROWN MAN! I think he can chose whether or not he feels that a helmet is appropriate or not for riding. He used his best judgment as to whether to wear a helmet or not and maybe he just made a bad call. Either way, he is not idiot. He is 22 years old. I can understand why he wouldn't want to wear a helmet.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #19
#99
Hall of Famer
 
#99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,062
#99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedmace
I agree... what moron doesn't wear a helmet while riding a motorbike.
Probably the same type of moron who insists that he doesn't need one even when every person in his life tells him he's being a fool. I'm glad he's alive and everything, but look, Big Ben is a Big Idiot. Frankly, he got what he deserved and, should it come to it, the Steelers have every right to penalize him for negligence if he misses game time as a result of the injury.

FYI - motorcycles have never been safe.
__________________
It tastes like... burning.
Teams: LA Kings, Raiders, Lakers, A's, Arizona Wildcats, Liverpool FC, South Africa Springbok Rugby
2005 College Football Pick 'em Champ
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #20
themush
Banned
 
themush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 8,839
themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99
the Steelers have every right to penalize him for negligence if he misses game time as a result of the injury.

The Steelers will certainly demand some of his signing bonus back just as Winslow had to return some of his. Bottom line is Ben has a responsibility to his teammates and coaches not to do anything that could get him hurt or arrested etc... He took a stupid risk everytime he rode without a helmet and eventually, as we have seen, that type of behavior catches up with you.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #21
doublee
Sports Virtuoso
 
doublee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 11,138
doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
I'm all for letting people choose. I dont mind the helmet law so much (cuz I dont ride), but I hate the seatbelt law. I dont like the fact that the government say you have to wear it. I wear mine all the time, but I dont like being told to do so. I think if people are dumb enough to not wear it (or a helmet) them, so be it.
You are missing the big picture here though. By having these laws it keeps my insurance rates down. His injuries likely would not have been nearly as bad as they were had he been wearing a helmet. The more money insurance companies have to pay out because of accidents like this the more they are inclined to jack up rates across the board to cover their butts.

The ironic thing is that I remember seeing a story about Ben and his motorcycle right around the Super Bowl and about how he didn't wear a helmet and wasn't worried about getting in an accident.
__________________
Can I get an Amen from the bobbleheads?
Hey I said pass the ketchup! I'm eatin' salad here!
Oooh, there is so much I don't know about astrophysics. I wish I had read that book by that wheelchair guy.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #22
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso
 
KevinBeane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Newark DE/Akron OH
Posts: 3,651
KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default

Ellis, you seem to be blurring the line between the legality of the matter and the intelligence of it. It can be taken for granted that whether to wear a helmet or not was his decision to make. It can also be taken for granted that most times, you're not gonna get into a wreck. Not wearing a helmet still a monumentally stupid thing to do, and no amount of laws allowing him that right (and just for the sake of argument, let's say I agree with the lack of a helmet law, if only because it's not the point) makes it cease to be stupid.

Legalities aside, your logic could also apply to seat belts. In fact, I'm sure a lot of people apply the same logic to them you do to helmets (my best friend, for starters). There's also a lot of people who will never walk again and are p*ssing in bags and worse because they weren't wearing helmets/seatbelts, and were involved in accidents 100% not their fault. These are people who hadn't been in an accident the last 30,000 times, so what are the odds TODAY they get into an accident, anyway?

For these people, that they made an adult decision that was their right to make, and the odds were overwhelmingly in favor of not getting into an accident, is probably not of much comfort to them. Quite the opposite, I imagine.

To put it in gamblers terms...if I gave you 100-to-1 odds to cross the street for $20 bucks, and that "one" time you get moved down by a semi truck, would it be smart or neutral to take that bet, or stupid? And is it smart, neutral, or stupid to take the bet over and over and over and over and over again? What if I upped the odds to 10,000 to 1, but instead of $20, you get the wind in your hair?
__________________
SLANT PATTERN
2004 SCMB FANTASY GOLF, NFL POINTSPREAD CHAMPION

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #23
KBIT
Rookie Player
 
KBIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5
KBIT is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi all,nice to join you all here.

Let me say,I am a Miami Dolphin fan since 1970,but I truly hated to hear this about Ben.He seemed like a real down to earth good guy,and it is sad news.Whether or not he ever play's football again is secondary,I just hope and pray the young man will be OK.,
KBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #24
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso
 
HibachiDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,258
HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
You are missing the big picture here though. By having these laws it keeps my insurance rates down.
You can't justify a law by saying simply that it will raise insurance rates, though. The helmet laws have been upheld as constitutional on the basis of the other resources involved in medically treating a motorcycle victim and that others in society become involved. I don't think a law based just on a raise in insurance rates is going to be constitutional.

That's the reason why this law in particular has been passed and repealed and then considered again in many states and really does take a lot of careful scrutiny. The Court will give the state legislature's opinion a lot of value when the state invokes their general police power.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #25
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic
 
bama4256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Posts: 6,484
bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default

Very stupid to ride bike without helmet.
__________________
Keith "baseball nut" Thronson
bama4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #26
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,434
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default

Spikedmace, can you please check your PMs? You'll find several from me asking you to update your e-mail, because it no longer works and is causing daily error e-mails in my inbox.

Welcome to the SCMB, KBit. :wavey:

Regarding the helmet, of course it's idiotic not to wear a helmet. Kevin got it right. Chances are you won't get in a car wreck, either, but that doesn't mean we should all drive around with no seatbelts, airbags, or other safety devices. As for it being lawful or not, that seems to be one of the FEW places it is not against the law. And I bet it won't remain legal for long after this. Wearing helmet doesn't mean Ben can't enjoy riding the same way wearing a seatbelt doesn't mean you can't enjoy driving. End of story.
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #27
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Regarding the helmet, of course it's idiotic not to wear a helmet. Kevin got it right. Chances are you won't get in a car wreck, either, but that doesn't mean we should all drive around with no seatbelts, airbags, or other safety devices. As for it being lawful or not, that seems to be one of the FEW places it is not against the law. And I bet it won't remain legal for long after this. Wearing helmet doesn't mean Ben can't enjoy riding the same way wearing a seatbelt doesn't mean you can't enjoy driving. End of story.
Something could fall from the sky and hit me head, but I don't walk around wearing a helmet every time I walk outside.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #28
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso
 
KevinBeane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Newark DE/Akron OH
Posts: 3,651
KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis
Something could fall from the sky and hit me head, but I don't walk around wearing a helmet every time I walk outside.
People who die annually from stuff falling from the sky nailing them: >5.

People who die annually from car or motorcycle accidents: Thousands and thousands, not counting the countless more who are maimed. Heck, pretty much everyone gets into at least one semiserious car accident in their lives.

Your argument suffers if you have to posit an absurd comparison as a legitimate one.
__________________
SLANT PATTERN
2004 SCMB FANTASY GOLF, NFL POINTSPREAD CHAMPION

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #29
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
People who die annually from stuff falling from the sky nailing them: >5.

People who die annually from car or motorcycle accidents: Thousands and thousands, not counting the countless more who are maimed. Heck, pretty much everyone gets into at least one semiserious car accident in their lives.

Your argument suffers if you have to posit an absurd comparison as a legitimate one.
You would be surprised. Fragments, the size from a golf ball-suitcase, of asteroids and comets reach the earth's surface more than you would think.

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel a few years ago about it.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #30
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso
 
KevinBeane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Newark DE/Akron OH
Posts: 3,651
KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis
You would be surprised. Fragments, the size from a golf ball-suitcase, of asteroids and comets reach the earth's surface more than you would think.

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel a few years ago about it.
How often do they not only hit people, but kill 'em, though? If you can find me 5 separate examples from a single calendar year, you totally win the argument.
__________________
SLANT PATTERN
2004 SCMB FANTASY GOLF, NFL POINTSPREAD CHAMPION

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.