Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 06-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #31
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
How often do they not only hit people, but kill 'em, though? If you can find me 5 separate examples from a single calendar year, you totally win the argument.
Not just asteroids, but also coconuts.

Here is a clip of an article stating that at least 150 people a year die from falling coconuts...
Quote:
During a recent ABC television report about how infrequent shark attacks really are, we were told, "Each year coconuts falling from trees kill 150 people."
That doesn't even account for the amount of people injured by coconuts in a given year.

This article states that things have fallen from outer space, but not killed anyone. THEY COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE, if they hit a person. http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...le_031001.html

My grandfather has an acorn tree in his yard. I know from experience that a falling acorn could do some damage, if falling hard enough. Those things hurt.

Also, frogs are known to fall from the sky.
Quote:
The woman said she had seen that thousands of frogs were falling down from the skies on umbrellas of passers-by and on the pavement, and then rushed to brooks and gardens in search of shelter. The newspapers also stated that citizens also had seen lots of pink frogs in some other place two weeks before… the opinion of naturalist Ian Darling who examined many of the pink frogs said they belonged to some albino breed, and the pink color of their skin was owing to blood vessels seen through the skin.
If those were poisonous frogs, who knows what kind of damage could be done.

Also, I am sure a good amount of buildings callapse a year. That doesn't mean when I am in a building I wear a helmet.

Last edited by Ellis; 06-16-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:22 PM   #32
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Which begs the question: if so many people die from coconut injuries every year, what the hell are they doing under the coconut trees? Does their insurance cover hanging out under coconut trees? Is there a "coconut to the head" clause?

I feel relatively certain, however, that folks being injured and killed from coconuts aren't insured, and we, as a global society, are being forced to pay for their fooling around under coconut trees.

As for the constitutionality of helmet laws, etc., I'm sure you're right, Doug. But, then, I don't want to pay a penny more in auto insurance each time some goofball "exercises his right to choose" and dies because of it.
If we're playing by libertarian rules, I shouldn't see any negative impact on my well-being when Ben dies from his impending accident. But, I will. (Or, more rightly, my in-laws will, cuz they live in Western PA.) That's not kosher, and is one of many flaws with the libertarian argument. (This random attack of libertarianism courtesy of Ellis's drawing the philosophy forward with his protestations that grown men should be free to do as they choose.)
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #33
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Responsible journalism by the Associated Press cuz "the public has a right to know" or just insensitive, National Enquirer-ish, slimey journalism?

Excerpt:

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not have a valid motorcycle license when he crashed into a woman's car last week, and the driver - who will be cited for failing to yield - has received threatening phone calls.......

Police on Monday declined to reveal the name of the driver of the car, citing the threats. She has been identified in published reports as *********, **, of ******. Her husband, ********, has said she felt terrible about the accident.

I know which one I'd go with....

Last edited by Tarkus; 06-21-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 AM   #34
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I know they officially tell us that the premiums go up because people don't wear helmets but do you guys actually believe it?

These are the same people who raise gas from $2.55 in the morning to $2.76 in the evening because it rained in Yemen.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 AM   #35
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

No, 78, premiums don't go up because Ben doesn't wear a helmet. They go up because there's about ten people total who should be allowed to drive... and there are instead some 175 million people doing it. That's why premiums go up.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 AM   #36
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
Responsible journalism by the Associated Press cuz "the public has a right to know" or just insensitive, National Enquirer-ish, slimey journalism?

Excerpt:

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not have a valid motorcycle license when he crashed into a woman's car last week, and the driver - who will be cited for failing to yield - has received threatening phone calls.......

Police on Monday declined to reveal the name of the driver of the car, citing the threats. She has been identified in published reports as (reacted), of Pittsburgh. Her husband, (redacted), has said she felt terrible about the accident.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5698982

I know which one I'd go with....
I do too...in fact, I'm tempted to take the driver's name out of your post myself (we do get a lot of traffic, and search site indexers) but I will leave that up to you.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:34 AM   #37
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well you can now purchase a souvenir commemorating the incident:

Link
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #38
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
I do too...in fact, I'm tempted to take the driver's name out of your post myself (we do get a lot of traffic, and search site indexers) but I will leave that up to you.
I was gonna take that out after our regulars read it but you're right....I hadn't thought of that type of traffic...

Thanks, KB
Old 06-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #39
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Well you can now purchase a souvenir commemorating the incident:

Link
That is hilarious. Glad to see that someone that funny is making $100 off of an empty box.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:36 AM   #40
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

$102.50???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Makes ya wonder about some people & also makes ya wonder why you didn't think of it first...

Old 06-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #41
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
$102.50???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Makes ya wonder about some people & also makes ya wonder why you didn't think of it first...

I am just dipping my feet into the world of ebay and I have already discovered that some of these people are willing to pay for anything.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #42
Anthony

Or you can buy this jersey
Old 06-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #43
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I still find it unconscionable that people refuse to wear helmets when riding a motorcycle.

This week for the radio stations I work for, I had to cover a city employee who went to an ATV track at a nearby state park over the weekend and took one lap around the track to "warm up" his ATV, when he lost control of the vehicle and was ejected head first into a tree.

He remains in serious condition in a Wichita hospital.

Then last night, a couple was riding their motorcycle on a dirt road when they lost control of their vehicle and suffered injuries.

The woman is listed in fair condition, while the man is in serious condition.

The woman wore a helmet. The man didn't.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #44
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Or you can buy this jersey
:lol:

I hope he's gettin' a cut of the action.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #45
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker
I still find it unconscionable that people refuse to wear helmets when riding a motorcycle.

This week for the radio stations I work for, I had to cover a city employee who went to an ATV track at a nearby state park over the weekend and took one lap around the track to "warm up" his ATV, when he lost control of the vehicle and was ejected head first into a tree.

He remains in serious condition in a Wichita hospital.

Then last night, a couple was riding their motorcycle on a dirt road when they lost control of their vehicle and suffered injuries.

The woman is listed in fair condition, while the man is in serious condition.

The woman wore a helmet. The man didn't.

But just think of the possibilities: If Roethlisberger ever runs for political office, his opponent can attack him for riding a motorcycle too often without a helmet - just as one wag claimed that Gerald Ford played too much football without wearing a helmet during his college days!