Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #61
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
If we do see a cruiserweight division, I like Anthony's idea (if I've interpreted it correctly) of lifting the 265 cap for heavyweights. A 220-pound Randy Couture against Sylvia or Lesnar is scary enough, and no one wants to see him fight someone who weighs 325. But I think something like a 230+ division (as opposed to 230-265) makes sense.

And either 230, or maybe 235, is where the line would need to be drawn, based on the progression of the other weight-class increments, which go up by 10 lbs. up to 155, then 15 to 170 and 185, followed by a 20-lb. increase to 205.

Quote:
Haven't seen his King of the Cage stuff, though naturally I know about TUF2. But he makes 205 and is very competitive in that class. Why would he want to move up if he doesn't have to? There's no way Jardine would rather fight Couture, Mir, and Nogueira than Griffin, Evans, and Liddell.

I've also met Keith Jardine, on multiple occasions, including at Greg Jackson's place in Albuquerque in April of 2007, where I actually got to watch him train. He could definitely do 230; and he's bigger than Rashad Evans in every sense of the word - indeed, speculation is rampant about Rashad moving down to 185 if he loses badly to Forrest Griffin.

Quote:
The attraction of a "skyscraper" is the only reason this guy keeps getting fights. I haven't seen him in XFO, but he was totally out-classed in the WEC, which had a pretty unimpressive group of light heavyweights. McElfresh can not compete in the UFC, at any weight class.

Give the poor dude a break! He's only had what - nine lifetime professional MMA fights? And anyone who's with the Militech crew certainly has a license to improve after so few fights.

Quote:
I agree with this. I think there are very few legit mixed martial artists who can't make 265. UFC can't support a compelling SHW division right now. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them lift the 265 cap on HW if/when we get a cruiserweight division. Don't think that'll be any time real soon, though.

And once again, as in my previous post: Who decides whether or not a given fighter is a "legit mixed martial artist"? And I know first-hand the daily struggles guys like Dan Christison go through just to be able to make 265.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:15 AM   #62
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Default post-UFC 92

Big night for the big guys last week at UFC 92. Now what's next in the UFC HW and LHW divisions?

Mir-Lesnar is set, and certainly presents an intriguing matchup. There's been discussion of Couture-Nogueira, and that would be a great fight, but I don't know where the HW division would go from there. The winner would clearly earn a title shot, but it seems too early for a rematch of Lesnar-Couture or Mir-Noguiera. That fight also leaves no clear contenders except more rematches.

I'd rather see Noguiera fight someone like Shane Carwin, and Couture against maybe Gabriel Gonzaga or Cheick Kongo, with the winners fighting for a title shot. That could set up Couture-Nogueira, or it could promote rising HW stars, but either way, I see it as a better plan than immediately pitting Couture and Big Nog.

In LHW, all the buzz seems to be Evans vs. Rampage, but I'd rather see Evans against the winner of Machida-Silva (and Forrest against the loser?). Rampage got a title bout like two months ago. Let him fight Keith Jardine, with a shot at the belt on the line.

Wandy-Liddell II -- also much-rumored -- doesn't appeal to me right now. I think Wanderlei against Luiz Cane could be interesting, and I'd love to see Liddell fight the winner of Bonnar-Jones. Only if it's Bonnar, though. I don't know what's going to happen with Franklin-Hendo. Rumors have the winner coaching TUF 9 opposite Bisping, and presumably dropping back to 185. If that doesn't happen, though, the winner obviously enters the contending tier of LHW. Something like Franklin-Rua could be fun.

Thoughts?
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #63
tigermach
Shaolin Temple janitor

tigermach is on a distinguished road

no posts here for awhile, but alot to talk about - hope some MMA fans come out to play

what's on my mind...

some nice UFC bouts lined up including
-98 evans/machida, hughes/serra
-99 franklin/axemurderer, cain/herring
-100 lesnar/mir, gsp/alves, thiago/fitch, bisping/hendo
-101 spider/griffin

Villasenor/Cyborg Santos at upcoming Strikeforce, as well as Lawler/Shields

-Kid Yamamoto/Joe Warren, JZ/Kawajiri, Mousasi/Hunt, Jacari/Mayhem at Dream 9
tigermach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #64
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Big MMA weekend kicking off tonight with Strikeforce. And being capped tomorrow by Faber vs Brown 2.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 AM   #65
Anthony

Donald Cerrone - whom I have personally met - is also fighting on the Faber-Brown card.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #66
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

Cerrone is the guy that effitvly ended Jamie Varners career correct. Tonight will also be the sad conclusion to the career of Lil Evil. Last night's card was solid. Did you get to watch it Anthony?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #67
Anthony

Jamie Varner's career hasn't ended - although it might after his rematch with Donald Cerrone, which is apparently on for WEC 43 sometime in the fall.

And speaking of ends of careers, Jens Pulver may need to go down to 135 if he wants to end his career with a win.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #68
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

I think last night may have been the end for Wanderli. Great fight with Rich but too many loses in a row at the moment. Cain velzaquez may have earned the first shot at the Lesnar vs Mir winner.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #69
Anthony

Wanderlei will probably now simply move down to 185 - as will Rashad after he gets thoroughly demolished by Rampage at the TUF 10 finale in December, the style matchup being utterly hopeless for Rashad (go back to Kevin Randleman and how he fared vs. Rampage at PRIDE six years ago, and it will essentially be a redux of that fight).
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #70
Brad O.

Default 2010 MMA thread

First UFC event of the new year turned out pretty well considering all the planned bouts that had to be cancelled or re-organized in the weeks leading up to fight night.

Sam Stout put on a hell of an entertaining performance, but the big winners are clearly Junior Dos Santos, Paul Daley, and Rashad Evans. JDS is obviously a top contender in the suddenly-stacked UFC heavyweight division, but with other top fighters already booked, I'm not sure who he fights next. Maybe Gabriel Gonzaga if his rehab goes okay? Ben Rothwell if he beats Cro Cop? The loser of Big Nog and Cain Velasquez? I assume the winner of that one gets an immediate title shot.

Daley failed to make weight, which is always unimpressive, but his punching power is for real. Dana White mentioned Josh Koscheck as a possible opponent, and that could be interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing him take on the winner of Mike Swick and Paulo Thiago.

Rashad, who is getting an unfair "boring" rap because Thiago Silva deliberately tried to show him up while Rashad was creaming him, will presumably get his fight with Rampage, with the winner moving on to a title shot. I can't see either of them beating Lyoto Machida, but maybe they'd have a chance against Shogun.

I was glad to see the loss by Dan Lauzon, who repeatedly faked groin shots in his Affliction fight last year against Bobby Green. I don't like Cole Miller, either, but that was a sweet submission.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #71
Anthony

The Rampage-Rashad fight and the Machida-Shogun fight are both apparently on for UFC 113 in Montreal on May 1st.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #72
leebingate
Rookie Player

leebingate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
But until MMA is legalized in New York state - and you start seeing events at Madison Square Garden - the sport will not have fully "arrived" so to speak.
Yep, they're working on it. The PA athletic comission convened and decided to remove the ban on MMA in PA a few weeks ago. So theres its likely the UFC will be coming to Philadelphia or Pittsburg sometime in the near future, both of which are huge venues. No doubt, the UFC will invite members of the NYC athletic commission to come watch and try and change their minds.
leebingate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #73
Brad O.

Thiago Silva doesn't think Jon Jones has earned a fight with him

Quote:
"I think [Jones] is a wonderful fighter; he's doing a good job, putting on a good show," Silva said. "But I think he has to prove himself more to get the right to fight me. Hes doing fine, but he has to take a few more steps. I [want to] climb fast to the title shot, so I want people with the high ranking right now."

emphasis added
Wow, really? I think Jones would be a slight favorite in that fight, and has very much earned it. Someone like Silva is the next step after dominating the Matt Hamills and Brandon Veras of the division.

What's next for Roy Nelson at this point? Junior Dos Santos, Frank Mir, and Big Nog could all make sense, as might a rematch with Ben Rothwell. I actually think Nelson would present a very tough matchup for Brock Lesnar, but maybe I'm just overexcited by the win over Struve. Certainly I don't believe Nelson has earned a title shot, I just think it's a bad matchup stylistically for Brock. Nelson is a very good grappler -- better takedown defense than Mir -- and he has knockout power standing. I suppose we could say the same of Carwin and Velasquez.

And Anthony, I don't understand why you seem so down on Rashad's chances against Rampage. Two of Jackson's last three fights have been pretty unimpressive, while Rashad just keeps getting better. He's a contender at 205, and I don't get why you seem so interested in seeing him drop to middleweight.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #74
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
Thiago Silva doesn't think Jon Jones has earned a fight with him

Wow, really? I think Jones would be a slight favorite in that fight, and has very much earned it. Someone like Silva is the next step after dominating the Matt Hamills and Brandon Veras of the division.

What's next for Roy Nelson at this point? Junior Dos Santos, Frank Mir, and Big Nog could all make sense, as might a rematch with Ben Rothwell. I actually think Nelson would present a very tough matchup for Brock Lesnar, but maybe I'm just overexcited by the win over Struve. Certainly I don't believe Nelson has earned a title shot, I just think it's a bad matchup stylistically for Brock. Nelson is a very good grappler -- better takedown defense than Mir -- and he has knockout power standing. I suppose we could say the same of Carwin and Velasquez.

And Anthony, I don't understand why you seem so down on Rashad's chances against Rampage. Two of Jackson's last three fights have been pretty unimpressive, while Rashad just keeps getting better. He's a contender at 205, and I don't get why you seem so interested in seeing him drop to middleweight.

Jon Jones has been getting himself into all kinds of situations lately, including allegedly going Adam Lingner on a cameraman at his last fight.

As for Rashad, Rampage has a history of doing extremely well against smaller opponents and/or wrestlers - see his dominating win over Kevin Randleman in PRIDE, and his brutal beatdown of Wanderlei Silva on the same card as Rashad's win over Forrest Griffin which I attended - plus having a personal issue with an opponent (as he did with Wanderlei) also seems to greatly elevate his competitive level (which means that Rampage is an absolute lock should he face Shogun, who flat out should have been disqualified when he fought Rampage in PRIDE. Hide the kids if those two dudes ever get it on - and if Shogun somehow beats Machida at UFC 113 and, as expected, Rampage wins at 114, it will likely happen).

And at 5-foot-9, his actual height - and that which he was listed while competing on The Ultimate Fighter (and interestingly, a debate has begun to percolate about Shane Carwin's height being overstated, Carwin having mysteriously "grown" a couple of inches since recently joining Greg Jackson's camp) - Rashad is clearly too small for light-heavyweight, and is, in fact, dicey even at middleweight (see Josh Koscheck, who wrestled at the same weight class as Rashad in their respective senior years in college). He cannot win consistently at 205 without boring the audience to death with "lay-and-pray" tactics, to which he reverted against Thiago (this doesn't bother me personally, but then again I'm well outside the age demographic they're courting).

Remember Shonie Carter in his prime? That's what Rashad would look like - and fight like - at 170.

Last edited by Anthony; 04-02-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #75
Brad O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Jon Jones has been getting himself into all kinds of situations lately, including allegedly going Adam Lingner on a cameraman at his last fight.
Not sure what you're referring to. I don't see how "situations" would affect whether or not he's qualified to face Silva. Sounds to me like Silva is ducking him, honestly. I lost a lot of respect for Silva in the Rashad fight (more on this below), and it sounds to me like he's just scared to face Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
As for Rashad, Rampage has a history of doing extremely well against smaller opponents and/or wrestlers
He has a history of doing extremely well against everyone. I don't think there's any observable trend as far as size. He does seem to have more trouble against strikers, but Rashad has become a pretty good striker.

Quote:
plus having a personal issue with an opponent (as he did with Wanderlei) also seems to greatly elevate his competitive level
Rampage is 1-2 against Wanderlei. He had a personal issue when Wand put him to sleep halfway out the ring, too. I don't buy the idea that 'Page brings his 'B' Game if he doesn't hate the guy across the cage.

Quote:
Rashad is clearly too small for light-heavyweight
How so? He cuts to 205, and he held the belt at this time last year. His only loss at the weight class is to someone nobody has defeated. I don't think it's at all clear that he's too small.

Quote:
He cannot win consistently at 205 without boring the audience to death with "lay-and-pray" tactics, to which he reverted against Thiago
I think the audience was plenty approving of his fights against Chuck and Forrest. I would also dispute that his fight against Thiago Silva was LNP. Rashad stayed busy, and in the third round, when Rashad was obviously ahead on the cards, Silva deliberately tried to make him look bad. It's a cheap move, a Diaz brother move. Besides, what would Evans do differently at a lower weight class? He'd still be a heavy-handed wrestler; I don't see why his style of fighting would be substantially different.

Quote:
Remember Shonie Carter in his prime? That's what Rashad would look like - and fight like - at 170.
Are you seriously suggesting that Rashad should drop 35 pounds and fight two weight classes below the one in which he held the belt less than a year ago? Seriously?

With all due respect, Anthony, that sounds loony to me. I think you're trying to fix something that isn't really broken. I might buy 185 if he loses to Rampage -- though I'll go on the record right now picking Evans -- but 170? Come on. Next you'll be telling us Frank Mir should cut to 205. Rashad is already in pretty good shape, and he'd have to lose a lot of muscle to make 170. I don't think there's any way he could be as effective at WW as he is at 205.