Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default BC fires Jagodzinski for interviewing with Jets

Quote:
BC ready to move on without Jagodzinski

ESPN.com news services

BC Fires Jeff Jagodzinski

BOSTON -- Boston College fired Jeff Jagodzinski on Wednesday, days after he was warned he would be dismissed if he interviewed for the coaching job with the New York Jets.

BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo told Jagodzinski on Saturday that his job would be in jeopardy if he went through with the Jets interview. Jagodzinski met with the Jets on Tuesday night.

A few hours later, at a Wednesday morning meeting, DeFilippo told Jagodzinski he was out. He seemed to choke back tears as he discussed his decision.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3816644

WHAT?!?! This outrages me. How can you fire a guy for simply interviewing? Granted, BC was upfront about it, but how can he not even have this freedom? Is this a normal stipulation? Because it sounds pretty extreme.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Steve
Registered Loser

Steve is on a distinguished road

I understand why they did it. Contracts for college head coaches are such jokes and that's outrageous considering stability in the head coach position is darn near essential in college football. It's tough to see a guy sign a huge, five year contract and then bolt for a bigger program the minute he has even a modicum of success. And, yeah, they clearly warned him. Since Jagodzinski has virtually no shot at the Jets job anyway, I'm pretty surprised he took the risk.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
The Running Man
Banned

The Running Man is on a distinguished road

It outrages me that they will still pay him. It is as if college coaches forget that they signed contracts. I just wish that more schools had the balls to do this. After signing a 6 year deal, does an athlete have the ability to just void it and play wherever he wants from season to season? I just wish the schools would write into the contract that if you take interviews you will be heavily fined. If you don't want the job, for an extended length don't sign the contract.
The Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

From what one of ESPN's legal analysts was saying on Mike & Mike this morning BC put a 'loyalty' clause in the contract stipulating that he would coach at BC for at least 3 seasons before seeking a job elsewhere. If that is the case I don't think BC owes him another dime as they can site violation of this clause as reason for his dismissal. From hearing some clips from the press conference it sounded as though this was a mutual parting of the ways and it sounds as though he is going to get a job in the NFL soon enough.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm just surprised BC seems so content to let him walk over such a trivial "breach." He was 20-8 and took them to a bowl game.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Something tells me there is more to it than this. I doubt this was the first butting of the heads these two had and this is most likely a culmination of things the general public does not know about.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

It doesn't seem like it was a "trivial" breach. BC wanted a coach that would grow with the program. This guy went out of his way to get an interview with the Jets as a longshot, it tells the school that he doesn't want to be there longterm.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

As a Bucs fan I was happy to see Jags sign on with the Bucs as their new O-Coordinator. He can be nothing but an improvement over Gruden's vanilla play-calling....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote