Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 01-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default Inauguration

What did you take from the speech?

The thing that struck me the most was his acknowledgement of "nonbelievers." I'm not a presidential historian, but he may be the first to recognize people without "faith" as equal members of society.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post

The thing that struck me the most was his acknowledgement of "nonbelievers." I'm not a presidential historian, but he may be the first to recognize people without "faith" as equal members of society.
I thought the wordage was condescending and thoughtless. It was by far the most elitist and obtuse part of his speech.

We were forced to show the kids all the festivities all day long...even outside the history/civics classes (as I type this it's still on with them glued to the screen).

On a side note, under the "today's assignments" section on the board I wrote...

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

to see if anyone would notice.

Nobody did.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I thought the wordage was condescending and thoughtless. It was by far the most elitist and obtuse part of his speech.
Perhaps you can help me, being a historian and all.

Can you recall another president acknowledging "nonbelievers" in an inaugural address or otherwise?

Quote:
On a side note, under the "today's assignments" section on the board I wrote...

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

to see if anyone would notice.

Nobody did.

:lol:

Considering your views, a more appropriate lyric could not be found.

Think Fresh.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
The Running Man
Banned

The Running Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That stood out to me as well. It's about time the atheists get recognized!
The Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Running Man View Post
That stood out to me as well. It's about time the atheists get recognized!
Yeah, I'm trying to find any other presidential acknowledgement of "nonbelievers." No luck so far.

Think Fresh.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Perhaps you can help me, being a historian and all.

Can you recall another president acknowledging "nonbelievers" in an inaugural address or otherwise?

Considering your views, a more appropriate lyric could not be found.
Nonbelievers just sounds condescending or divisive IMO. Not that I'm the sensitive type...

It applies that they have been confronted with "the truth" and have dismissed it.

While I don't have the lying skills of the fool on the stage yesterday I'll rewrite it now to make it sound better...

We are a nation of many faiths and beliefs. The belief in Jesus Christ. The belief in Allah. The belief in science. The belief in progress. As a nation, I know our different beliefs and faiths can be used to unite us all in the name of freedom and equality.

See, and I ain't even a whore...at least on this matter.

:thumbup:
Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Nonbelievers just sounds condescending or divisive IMO. Not that I'm the sensitive type...

It applies that they have been confronted with "the truth" and have dismissed it.

While I don't have the lying skills of the fool on the stage yesterday I'll rewrite it now to make it sound better...

We are a nation of many faiths and beliefs. The belief in Jesus Christ. The belief in Allah. The belief in science. The belief in progress. As a nation, I know our different beliefs and faiths can be used to unite us all in the name of freedom and equality.

See, and I ain't even a whore...at least on this matter.

:thumbup:
Aren't you of the opinion that Obama is a "nonbeliever" himself? Why would he speak condescendingly about something that he himself believes?

As for your revision, I don't think it makes the same point. Many people think that a believe in Christ and a belief in science are not mutually exclusive. Therefore, your revision wouldn't speak directly to people who deny the claims of religion.

I, for one, am happy that we are at least being brought into the conversation for once, even if the hypercritical crowd finds it to be "condescending."

Think Fresh.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Aren't you of the opinion that Obama is a "nonbeliever" himself? Why would he speak condescendingly about something that he himself believes?
He's technically a Christian...I guess. I don't keep track week to week what he believes in for political gain.

Quote:
As for your revision, I don't think it makes the same point. Many people think that a believe in Christ and a belief in science are not mutually exclusive. Therefore, your revision wouldn't speak directly to people who deny the claims of religion.
Ah, you just proved the point by walking into the trap. Now my terms are offensive to the Christians because of a mutually exclusive clause...right? But when he says non-believers it implies that someone has been confronted with the truth and turned it away.

See CK, it was going to be offensive/inclusive/divisive to one group. He just picked the "nonbelievers" this time around.

Quote:
I, for one, am happy that we are at least being brought into the conversation for once, even if the hypercritical crowd finds it to be "condescending."
Oh it doesn't bother me and like I said...I'm not the sensitive type. I'm just showing that by trying to be inclusive he actually made things more divided.

Again, no skin off my back. Anyone with an HONEST/SINCERE belief in ANYTHING got this guy beat in the faith department.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
He's technically a Christian...I guess. I don't keep track week to week what he believes in for political gain.
It's been pretty consistent I think - he's a "nonbeliever" who uses Christianity for political gain.

Quote:
Ah, you just proved the point by walking into the trap. Now my terms are offensive to the Christians because of a mutually exclusive clause...right? But when he says non-believers it implies that someone has been confronted with the truth and turned it away.

See CK, it was going to be offensive/inclusive/divisive to one group. He just picked the "nonbelievers" this time around.
No, I'm not saying that your revision is offensive to Christians, it just doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of ahteist/agnostics.

I would listen to that and think, "well some Christians still believe in the value of science. He is speaking to people of different beliefs, but he isn't acknowledging those of us without religion."

If you think "nonbelievers" is condescending, then you are much more sensititve than you are trying to portray yourself.

Quote:
Oh it doesn't bother me and like I said...I'm not the sensitive type. I'm just showing that by trying to be inclusive he actually made things more divided.
Only in your mind, where every move he makes is the wrong one.

Quote:
Again, no skin off my back. Anyone with an HONEST/SINCERE belief in ANYTHING got this guy beat in the faith department.
He has honest and sincere beliefs.

Think Fresh.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Yes he does Fresh. He said, during the campaign, that Rev. Wright helped him come to faith in Jesus Christ. I guess thats as consistant as any Democrat will ever become.
This said, I wish President Obama well. The country has a lot riding on his 4 years in office.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
It's been pretty consistent I think - he's a "nonbeliever" who uses Christianity for political gain.
And again, as someone with a history degree (I ain't got one) from such a prestigious university don't you see anything inherently dangerous/wrong with that?

Quote:
No, I'm not saying that your revision is offensive to Christians, it just doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of ahteist/agnostics.
It's a chicken and an egg argument really. Look, the only way to appease many agnostics (the ones I know anyway) is to simply say "I don't know". When you use the term "nonbelievers" it automatically implies that everyone has been privy to "the belief" and then has either rejected it or embraced it.

Quote:
If you think "nonbelievers" is condescending, then you are much more sensititve than you are trying to portray yourself.
First off, the earth is shaking after YOU implied that I'M too sensitive on this subject. We now have a new reference for the term "irony" in the dictionary.

Why it can be construed as condescending and obtuse begins and ends with my explanation:

When you say "nonbelievers" you've acknowledged either the chicken or the egg. If it's the chicken, the egg people are left out. If it's the egg, the chicken people are left out.

He TRIED to be inclusive in a moment (and what I would say a delusion) of grandeur. I understand what he was going for but without different wording (and I ain't as smart as rockstar so I gladly plead ignorance) it just comes off as hollow and condescending.

Quote:
Only in your mind, where every move he makes is the wrong one.
It's going to be a long four years for those with life experience/values with this guy in office CK. I understand when you root for power over progress it's easy to spin and deflect such criticisms but I'm not going to compromise for anything. And like I said before, if I ever did think of compromising, we ain't gonna start at the top. This guy got the goods. He's misued them badly over his lifetime.

Quote:
He has honest and sincere beliefs.
And now the earth has officially spun off its axis.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
And again, as someone with a history degree (I ain't got one) from such a prestigious university don't you see anything inherently dangerous/wrong with that?
Dangerous? Compared to what? An honest idiot?

I'll take "the immoral liar" as long as he has logic and rational thought over the "honest" idiot any day.

Yes, I'm assuming that you can't have one without the other. In a democracy full of stupid people, you pick your poison.

Quote:
It's a chicken and an egg argument really. Look, the only way to appease many agnostics (the ones I know anyway) is to simply say "I don't know". When you use the term "nonbelievers" it automatically implies that everyone has been privy to "the belief" and then has either rejected it or embraced
I'm not talking about "appeasing" anyone. I'm simply happy my kind was acknowledged for once.

Quote:
First off, the earth is shaking after YOU implied that I'M too sensitive on this subject. We now have a new reference for the term "irony" in the dictionary.
Yes sir.

Quote:
He TRIED to be inclusive in a moment (and what I would say a delusion) of grandeur. I understand what he was going for but without different wording (and I ain't as smart as rockstar so I gladly plead ignorance) it just comes off as hollow and condescending.
Condescending in your mind. He could say "hello" to you and you'd find it condescending.

Quote:
It's going to be a long four years for those with life experience/values with this guy in office CK. I understand when you root for power over progress it's easy to spin and deflect such criticisms but I'm not going to compromise for anything. And like I said before, if I ever did think of compromising, we ain't gonna start at the top. This guy got the goods. He's misued them badly over his lifetime.
It has nothing to do with compromise. I'm not asking you to fall in love with him over night. However it is clear that you will oppose everything he does, and every word he says, no matter what it is.

You have zero objectivity when it comes to Obama, or any other candidate from a major political party for that matter.

Results will mean nothing to you. He could bring the poverty rate down to 2% and you would say he did it for selfish reasons.

Quote:
And now the earth has officially spun off its axis.
Good argument

Think Fresh.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I have a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart knowing Barack is in office. Just like DETMURDS, I'm sure.

Check out these INCREDIBLE pics of the inauguration: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...president.html
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

My favorite picture from this past Tuesday...

If I knew how to work this dotcom machine a bit better I woulda put Obama's mug where Heston's is in the pic.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers.."

Obama wasted his breath for saying such a thing because that is not all we are a nation of! How dare him mention those groups without consideration for all the others. His statement is not true, and is a false statement.

For example he forgot the following just to mention a few;
mormon (LDS)
Native American religion
Buddhism
Sikhism
Baha'i Faith
and let's not forget DEVIL WORSHIP which is a recognized religion of the US government.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote