Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 03-25-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default NBA Awards: Your Choices

Check out this for more info: http://insidehoops.com/nba_awards.shtml

As the year winds down, it's time to hand out our awards in several vital categories. Who are your picks?

MVP - Tim Ducan

Defensive Player of the Year - Ben Wallace

Coach of the Year - Maurice Cheeks

Rookie of the Year - Pau Gasol

Sixth Man of the Year - Quentin Richardson

Most Improved - Wally Szczerbiak
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 01:11 AM   #2
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

MVP: Jason Kidd. Such a tough call, Dirk Nowitzki and Kobe Bryant will be strong canidates as well, but it goes to Mr. Triple-double.

DPOY: Ben Wallace. No question about it. THE MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER IN THE NBA. 28 rebounds sunday night! 28! Not to menchain 6 blocks.

Coach of the Year: Alvin Gentry, Clippers. Think about it for a second, what was the Clippers record last season?

Rookie of the Year: Jason Richardson

Sixth Man: Quentin Richardson

Most Improved: Kenyon Martin
Old 03-26-2002, 10:22 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

I don't like the Kidd pick anymore - he does everything, but he can't shoot - he's average 14 ppg and shoots an awful percentage.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:04 PM   #4
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

MVP: Kidd. It doesn't matter if he doesn't average 25 points. He's a point guard, cripes! He can do it and his percentage doesn't matter.

DPY: Ben Wallace. Of course Ben Wallace deserves this award, as an outstanding rebounder and shotblocker.

Coach Of The Year: Maurice Cheeks. Everything he's done for the Blazers are my proof.

Rookie of the Year: J-Rich. Aside from winning the dunk contest and Rookie All-Star MVP, Jason performs well for the Warriors.

Sixth Man: Quentin Richardson. A reliable backup for the Clippers floor five.

Rookie Of The Year: Pau Gasol. He's easily the best rookie out there and he's above everyone else.

Most Improved: Wally Szczerbiak. Having improved from lowly forward in the shadow of KG to the Wolves' second scoring option has won him this title.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:21 PM   #5
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NBA Awards: Your Choices

Okay my picks are Jason Kidd for M.V.P. As far as the Nets as a whole are concerned being healthier this year as opposed to last year has helped but consider where the Nets where last year to where they are this year and where the Suns now to where they were last year, Kidd's impact to me is large, evident and makes him my pick for M.V.P.

Coach of the Year: Byron Scott. It's the Nets for goodness sakes. They used to be the Clippers of the Eastern Conference year in and year out.

Defensive Player of the Year: Ben Wallace.

Rookie of the Year: Pau Gasol. This kid's going to be awesome. Can score with either hand. Can score inside and out. Can rebound. All he needs is to add more weight and he could be a presence on the defensive end as well.

6th Man of the Year: My biased pick but heck it's still my pick so I'm sticking with it, hehe. Bobby Jackson of the Sacramento Kings. He brings a spark off the bench the Kings usually need. He's a good defender for a point guard which is a rarity at that position. He can shoot the outside shot. For a guy who's only like 6'1", he loves to get on the boards. He loves to mix it up on the inside (His mentality to not be afraid to fight inside in Chris Webber's body would be scary). And you can run him at the one as well as the two spot.

Most Improved: Wally Szczerbiak. I've heard his teammates kind of don't like him but he still works hard off the court to get better and better and is a big part of this team's success even though they are kind of slumping right now.

Hey, air_canada, I was just curious, you have 2 picks there for Rookie of the Year, Jason Richardson and Pau Gasol. So are both of them equally your picks? I think that's happened before actually. Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson shared his Rookie of the Year Award with somebody else I believe. I forgot who that someone else is now though.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 01:32 AM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

I didn't have time to think about my picks, so I will revise them.

MVP: Dirk Nowitzki- The most underrated MVP canidate ou there. This guy is in the top five in scoring, top ten in rebounding and brings his game every night. He can do everything. Offensively, he can slam it, lay it up, hit the mid-range J and hit the three ball. Defensively, he blcoks, grabs boards on both ends of the court and even gets steals. If the Mavs make a run towards the end of the season and get the # 1 seed in the West, more people will see why Dirk deserves MVP. If the Magic had won more games, no doubt this goes to Tracy McGrady.

Coach of the Year: Alvin Gentry- Whether the Clipps make the playoffs or not, both their team and their record improved dramatically from last season, no brainer here.

DPOY: Ben Wallace- This guy is your classic throwback center, scores, but focuses more on rebounding and defense than anything. This guy should have been an All-Star and will be next season. 28 rebounds Sunday night, 28 !!!!

ROY: Jason Richardson- Is only a scorer right now but will soon develop his full game and establish himself as a team player as well.

6th Man: Q, Quentin Richardson- I live near L.A., I see Clippers games a lot, this guy has a bright future. Averages around 13 points a game coming off the bench. Knows how to dish it out too.

Most Improved: Paul Pierce. I know he was great last year but so was T-Mac the year before he won it. Has an all-around game now, will be a great player.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:21 AM   #7
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Default Re: Quentin Richardson

Quote:
Originally posted by The J:

6th Man: Q, Quentin Richardson- I live near L.A., I see Clippers games a lot, this guy has a bright future. Averages around 13 points a game coming off the bench. Knows how to dish it out too.
Yeah, Quentin Richardson is very much a dynamic scorer for them.

He's worked hard on his outside shot too hasn't he? I thought when he first came into the league he was a bad outside shooter but he's pretty good now.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:07 PM   #8
air_canada
Youngster

Spike: They are both my picks, if I think about it, though originally it was a mistake.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:18 PM   #9
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Ok people these are my picks for this year:

MVP: Kobe Bryant. In my mind the best player in the NBA. When Shaq was out with the big toe he put up his game and was awesome. He can dunk, shoot, split the D, jump shoot he has all the touches. How can you people also forget about Michael Jordan? HELLO!!! remember the Wizards last year? 19 wins?? Jordan lifts this team up for a playoff birth at the age of 39 come on he should be up there.

DPOY: Shaq. Like who can guard this guy? NOBODY! No one can cut to the basket against L.A when Shaq is out on the floor so how can he not be defencive player of the year?

COY: Don Nelson. Its amazing how he uses his lineup and mixes up his players. He has become a great coach and deserves it.

ROY: Jason Richarson simply because he is an amazing player, Gasol is good but come on the Grizzlies suck, Richardson has played part in a pretty good team.

Six Man: Quinten richardson, he is great off the bench and has producted the most.

Most improved: Paul Pierce has become the most improved no doubt this year.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:50 PM   #10
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Default Re: MVP and Rookie of the Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:

Ok people these are my picks for this year:

MVP: Kobe Bryant. In my mind the best player in the NBA. When Shaq was out with the big toe he put up his game and was awesome. He can dunk, shoot, split the D, jump shoot he has all the touches.
I define Most Valuable Player to be the "most valuable player to your team" and to me Shaq is more valuable to his team than Kobe Bryant. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. But I believe the Lakers are just about .500 when Shaq is out and much better than that when Shaq is in there.

Quote:
ROY: Jason Richarson simply because he is an amazing player, Gasol is good but come on the Grizzlies suck, Richardson has played part in a pretty good team.
Yeah but the Warriors suck worse than the Grizzlies.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:05 PM   #11
air_canada
Youngster

LOL Spike I also define MVP as MVP to your team and not 'Best Player'.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:16 PM   #12
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

This is my first post on this board. I've looked around at the board a bit and like what i see.

MVP- Duncan, gets the nod over Kidd due to teams recent success in the super competitive west, the Nets have slowed a bit.

DPOY- Garnett, his versatility does it for me.

Coach- Cheeks, he righted a tough sailing ship. Slight nod over Carlisle, Scott and Silas(think he's done a good job keeping team afloat this year and there closing well)

6th man- Aaron Mckie, keeping there heads above water on both ends of the court.

Rookie- Gasol, been consistent from the get go.

Most Improved- Ben Wallace only because I think Wally was already an excellent player, i was never that impressed with Wallace until this year.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 09:55 AM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
This is my first post on this board. I've looked around at the board a bit and like what i see.
Welcome! :wavey: Glad to have you aboard, enjoy your stay.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:31 AM   #14
air_canada
Youngster

Yes, welcome, #47. Have fun!
Old 03-29-2002, 02:25 PM   #15
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Thank you, I appreciate it!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.