Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 07-20-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road
Default sergio or tiger

I just got done watching the British open and realized how differently Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia are while on the course. Tiger never shows any emotion while Sergio wears all of his emotions on his sleeve. I think watching sergio jump and pound his clubs is alot more fun to watch then tiger hold that same solumn face the entire round. A lot agree with me but alot dont. Some older people think the game is better with controlled players.

I personally think ratings would go up if more golfers acted like sergio while on the course.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:59 PM   #2
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

I agree, golf is as dull as you get...I'll be honest, when I was flipping threw channels and I saw Sergio doing all those fist pumps and full of emotion, I actually cared about what was going on and wanted to see what happened.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Tiger just always has that poker face on ... can't blame him because it keeps you focused to win. That's what he is: focused and determined. Emotions usually hurt your game, although they can help it, too.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Ya, I've never.. EVER... seen Eldrick Woods slam his iron into the fairway after a bad approach or drop his driver after a sliced swing off the tee. You know what? -- I don't think I've ever seen Mr. Woods do a ferice fist pump after an amazing putt. Yet somehow when amateurs are on the golf course, they do that fist pump and say they are imitating Tiger Woods.

Yes, you are all correct: Tiger Woods never shows emotions.

WATCH SOME GOLF. MAN, EVEN WATCH THE 30-SECOND GOLF HIGHLIGHTS AT THE END OF ESPN SPORTSCENTER (25 seconds of which are tiger woods) AND YOU WILL SEE HIM EITHER THROW HIS CLUB AFTER A BAD SHOT OR PUMP HIS FIST AFTER AN AMAZING PUTT OR KNOCK FISTS WITH HIS CADDY AFTER A WONDERFUL APPROACH!!!! [email protected]#$%!! WHAT IS WITH YOU PEOPLE AND POSTING ON THIS BOARD, NOT EVEN THINKING TO WATCH A MINUTE OF GOLF A YEAR?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Ahem. I would watch some golf to go to sleep, but I don't have a TV in my room anymore. But even someone who doesn't watch every minute of every tournament knows that Tiger does display that emotionless, stern face on the course ... he does show a lot of emotion when we wins or makes a big shot, but FOR THE MOST PART, he isn't the most emotional guy. That's not a bad thing is all I'm saying!
Old 07-22-2003, 03:30 AM   #6
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Before when Tiger won majors he never did a damn thing, he was literally emotionless. The only way I know this is by watching the 30-second highlight clips, because that sums up a day of golf basically. EVERYONE shows emotion when they struggle, or "slump" in Tiger terms, but I won't get into that seeing as I don't really care. Golf needs more Sergio Garcia's, young guy's who add some flavor. It's always been an old timer's game though, so that's a tough task.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:38 AM   #7
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

Any way you face it Tiger does not show ALOT of emotion on the course. Sure Tiger shows some emotion like a club slam or a fist pump after a truly amazing or important shot. But unlike Sergio he doesnt show emotion after almost every shot. Nine Shots out of ten out on the course Tiger looks like a wax figure with no emotion on face. But look at Sergio on almost every shot hes yelling at the ball, slamming a club, or grinning ear to ear. Just watch Sergio off the team and you can always tell if its good and where its going just by looking at his body language.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~

Last edited by rickcoyle; 07-22-2003 at 08:43 AM.
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:55 AM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Mabe you guys are more right than I on this one, but I like the "old-timers" feel... That is what you are suspose to do Sunday afternoons: just watch relaxing golf!! We don't need to see guys running around the course and jumping and everything all day!!! Can't you wait for your little college football games in December for that?? Golf is different than any other sport and it has always been that way, and it should stay that way.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:08 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Can't you wait for your little college football games in December for that??
Actually, they start in August and end in December. And yes, college football kicks the bejesus out of golf in terms of ratings, popularity, and excitement. But golf still has its good points and is unique in its own way.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:44 PM   #10
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Mabe you guys are more right than I on this one, but I like the "old-timers" feel... That is what you are suspose to do Sunday afternoons: just watch relaxing golf!! We don't need to see guys running around the course and jumping and everything all day!!! Can't you wait for your little college football games in December for that?? Golf is different than any other sport and it has always been that way, and it should stay that way.
I think you guys are right and you`re wrong. When Tiger first started as a pro, he showed (I think) more emotion than Sergio. He was always finishing his shots with a facial expression or some body language. But you have to realise that those actions put you on highs and lows and allow you to lose control of your objective. Sergio doesn`t have the reputation that Tiger does, and when/if he does, I bet he will have a similar attitude on the course. It`s a part of maturing and realising that in order to win out there you have to remain completely focused.

There are many on these forums that don`t consider golf a sport but I challenge you to go out and try to play a gruelling course 4 days in a row, walking for 4 hours, and practicing after you finish each round. It`s alot tougher, physically and DEFINITELY mentally, than you can imagine. The things I said above came directly from Tiger in an interview when he was asked why he seems to have become so emotionless on the course. If you think he didn`t show emotion, watch some of the very first majors tiger played in.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:07 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

If I didn't think golf was a sport, would it be on the SCMB and SC? Don't think so.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #12
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
If I didn't think golf was a sport, would it be on the SCMB and SC? Don't think so.
I know I know but I said *many* not all .
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:15 AM   #13
luckybird
Sports Enthusiast

luckybird is on a distinguished road

I like sergio better than tiger cause tiger wins 90% of the time, and if you watch him he just good shots so if you watch him you can predict that he's gonna win.... and you'll be right so it's like not fun to watch him, ya get what i'm sayin.
luckybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:26 PM   #14
mr.rooter
Grizzled Veteran

mr.rooter is on a distinguished road

THey are both fun to watch. Sergio's emotions are funny but I like to watch Tiger's great shots. I like both of them and watch both of them. Tiger is now starting to show emotion and I'd pick Tiger over Garcia. Just as long as Tiger isn't in a slump!
That's who I pick.
mr.rooter is offline   Reply With Quote