Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 AM   #1
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default Artest requests trade

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2255420

Whew! This one is a bit surprising. Artest says playing for the New York Knicks would be ideal. If that doesn't make him crazy, I don't know what does.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, he is a native New Yorker. The problem being I don't know that the Knicks would be willing to part with the players the Pacers would likely have the most interest in.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

He needs to go to a team with a very strong coach. Brown fits that category nicely. He is a very, very good player when he concentrates on basketball. When he is distracted, or not properly motivated however.....

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

With brown watching him i think hed be fine hes gonna answer our problem at the sf
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but chances are the Pacers are going to be looking for, at the very least, Channing Frye and/or Nate Robinson in that deal. Zeke is fooling himself if he thinks he is going to get Artest for a handful of the retread swing players he is looking to part with especially when they can probably get a guy like Peja for him who is just screaming for a change of scenery right now.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think he ultimately doesn't like Carlisle. That's what I gathered from his comments. He wants more plays on offense for him, and is never going to be the first choice with J. O'Neal in Indy.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Kind of odd that he didn't have crap to say about playing for Carlisle two years ago when the team won 61 games.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

So much for that glowing article in SI's NBA preview issue.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

New York is his choice. Question is, will he actually end up there?

ESPN posted something about a Pacers/ Kings rumor
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Artest for Peja rumor has been around since the end of last season. The only way I see him ending up in NY is if the Knicks find a third team to enter the fray. I just don't see Brown agreeing to giving up Frye and/or Robinson to get Artest which is probably what it will take to put Artest in NY.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:33 AM   #11
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

If all the rumors were true about Marbury and Brown then why don't the Knicks just trade Marbury and Artest straight up? I'm sure there is some financial problems between the two but Marbury coming to the Pacers would make them a real threat in the East.
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Problems is the Pacers don't need a point guard, considering they have two of them that don't have a shoot-first mentality.

I can't imagine Pacers GM Walsh trading Artest to the Knicks unless Frye is involved. Walsh is way too smart to let a commodity like Artest go for cheap.

One team I was thinking as a possibility was Dallas. Howard and Daniels for Artest.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

According to Mark Cuban and Avery Johnson they like their team and are not looking to make any major roster changes the rest of the season.

The problem with Marbury for Artest is: a)they would simply be moving one head case for another, b) as was pointed out they don't have a real need for PG and Tinsley and Jasickevicius have been pretty productive and both are better shooters, and c) the salaries are not even close to matching and the Pacers would have to throw two more players into the mix just to match Marbury's salary to make it work.

The big challenge is going to be with a lot team's perception of him being a head case and not wanting to give up equivalent talent and potentially upsetting team chemistry by acquiring him.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Big Pacers fan and I'm pretty worried we won't get back anything that really keep us in the running to be a legitimate threat to win the East. I have lots of faith in Donnie Walsh and Larry Legend to make a good deal, but it's just going to be really hard to get full value for an All Star that plays shutdown defense, is 26 years old and is only making $6.5 million, $7.15 million and $7.8 million over the next three seasons (4th highest paid played on Indy after JO, Austin Croshere and Jonathan Bender). On talent and basketball skill, this guy is the biggest bargain in the league. Nobody outside of Corey Maggette (30.25 mill over the next 4 seasons) is even close, really. Peja is cheap this year, but about to be a free agent and be making around $12 mil a year.

I would love a deal that includes Josh Howard. Still on his rookie contract making under $3 mil over this season and next. Artest for Howard and Marquis Daniels would be great for Indy in my opinion. Cuban would never do this deal though. Josh Howard might be the most slept on young talent in the league. He's legit and IMO the Mavs 2nd best player.

And looking at the salaries, I see some deals that could work with the Knicks. Artest and Fred Jones, for Eddy Curry, Trevor Ariza and David Lee would be great for the Pacers, I think. Both Ariza and Lee look to be solid rotation guys and Eddy Curry and JO down on the blocks would be dominant.

But regardless, there aren't many straight up trade options out there for Artest. Hopefully, Bird can get someone to take a Artest/Croshere package and get back a quality starter and two bench guys. Or something like that.

Lemme tell you, it's really hard right now watching both the Artest and Manny situations play out. Stupid crazy athletes. Arggh.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRedd
And looking at the salaries, I see some deals that could work with the Knicks. Artest and Fred Jones, for Eddy Curry, Trevor Ariza and David Lee would be great for the Pacers, I think. Both Ariza and Lee look to be solid rotation guys and Eddy Curry and JO down on the blocks would be dominant.
Thing is that the Knicks are being pretty adamant about not dealing guys like Frye, Curry, Ariza, Lee, and Nate Robinson. Which is probably the best stance to take for the long term future of the team. That is going to be a good core of players if they can manage to keep it together over the next few years. Given the sorry state of the East after the top five or six teams Artest could potentially make them a playoff team but they still would not have the talent to get deep into the playoffs. Ultimately, the Knicks are best served by looking into trying to dump guys like Crawford and Richardson if they can and keep building with young talent through the draft.