Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 08-03-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road
Default Ever Wonder Why.....

Ever wonder why golf is growing in popularity and why people who don't even play go to tournaments or watch it on TV? These truisms may shed light:
Golf is an honorable game, with the overwhelming majority of players being honorable people who don't need referees.

Golfers don't have some of their players in jail every week.

Golfers don't beat up on each other during the game.

In golf you cannot fail 70% of the time and make $9 million a season, like the best baseball hitters (.300 batting average) do.

Professional golfers are compensated in direct proportion to how well they play

Golfers don't hold out for more money, or demand new contracts, because of another player's deal.

Professional golfers don't demand that the taxpayers pay for the courses on which they play.

You can watch the best golfers in the world up close, at any tournament, including the majors, all day, every day for $25 or $30. The cost for a seat in the nosebleed section at the Super Bowl will cost around $300 or more.

When golfers make a mistake, nobody is there to cover for them or back them up.

The PGA Tour raises more money for charity in one year than the National Football League does in two.

Golf doesn't change its rules to attract fans.

Golfers have to adapt to an entirely new playing area each week.

Golf doesn't have free agency.

You can hear birds chirping on the golf course during a tournament.

Tiger Woods can hit a golf ball three times as far as Barry Bonds can hit a baseball.

Finally, here's a slice of golf history you might enjoy.

Why do full-length golf courses have 18 holes, and not 20, or 10 or an even dozen?

During a discussion among the club's membership board at St. Andrews in 1858, one of the members pointed out that it takes exactly 18 shots to polish off a fifth of Scotch. By limiting himself to only one shot of Scotch per hole, the Scot figured a round of golf was finished when the Scotch ran out.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Ever wonder why not many people watches golf? Yup, itís boring.

If I ever going to watch it, it would be the extreme version of it, with a time bomb set into each golf ball. If Tiger donít hurry and hit it, it will explode in his face and will suffer the agony of embarrassment. Now thatís a game I will pay $25 or $30 to watch!
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

What does snopes.com, an online reference guide to urban legends, have to say about the 18 shots of scotch? Bzzzt!

Origins: Although
this current bit of lore about soused Scots limiting themselves to one slurp at the flask per hole has its charm, it does not have history on its side. The number of holes comprising a standard golf course was not determined by the amount of Scotch in a bottle.

Golf wasn't always as regulated as it is now. Prior to standardization, early courses had any number of holes from five to twenty-four. Games similar to golf have been around since Roman times, but the game as we now know it dates approximately to 1552, when the famed St. Andrews course was constructed. (Earlier Scottish versions, however, were called "golf" even though the game itself was not at that time all it would finally become.)

Because the Old Course at St. Andrews had eighteen holes when the first commonly accepted rules of golf were formulated by the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, eighteen holes became the standard.

But couldn't that number still be tied to a hip flask, you say? Not unless the bottle shrank. In the 15th century St. Andrews had eleven fairways extending from the clubhouse, linked by a progression of twelve holes. (Golfers teed off next to the hole that would be their final destination on the trip back in, and they turned around upon reaching the last hole, so the first and last holes were used only once per round.) The course was played out and back: eleven fairways out plus eleven back made for a total of twenty-two holes per round, and it brought golfers right back to the clubhouse.

In 1764, two of the original fairways were judged to be too short and were consequently combined with others. This left nine fairways, and playing them out and back formed what is now considered a standard round of eighteen holes.

So there you have it ó no drunken Scots at all.

Barbara "holey unimaginable" Mikkelson

Last updated: 20 November 2002

And as far as the rising popularity of golf, I think that has a great deal to do with a guy named Woods and very little to do with people saying, "Goshdarnit, I'm a-tired of all the scalliwag, nincompoop players of the big sports! Makes it durn unenjoyable to watch, dadgummit! I'm going to focus on a sport where they players still have a little thing called 'integrity'!"

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I agree with everything in the first post except one: I highly doubt you are getting into Augusta National for $30.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #5
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

Same here Lee. Someone sent this to me in an email just the other day and I thought it had some good stuff in it
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Ha, you`ll die on that waiting list before you get into Augusta National! I, also, agree with most of what`s in your first post...I forget what I don`t agree with. But most of that stuff about golf are just the plain facts, I dont think it`s the reason golf has become more popular. And I think golf is the only (or one of the few) sports where people can play it right up until it`s time for them to be admitted into an old folks home.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

The other thing is golf is perfect for anyone. Young or old. Male or Female. It reaches out to everyone. It also doesnt matter about salary. You get hillbilly rednecks playing at crappy public courses and snotty knee jerk Liberals playing at high end country clubs. Golf includes everyone.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 11:27 PM   #8
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I agree with that list except for the one about the 70% failure thing. Tiger Woods does not win 30% of the tournaments he enters and still makes well over 9 million dollars. However, I know im knit-picking and I understand the concept of that.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:43 AM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Wow Ricky....full moon. You've made 3 or 4 posts in a row you've made that I've agreed with 100%. ;-)

To look at the fact that you need to make good shots more than 30% of the time to compete in the tournament while ignoring the fact that you can you are an absolute success by being in final-day contention in a few tournaments a year is seeing the trees for the forest. In fact, if you are just a tour qualifier, say, all you have to do is get lucky and win ONE PGA tour even and be set for ten years. Do it in a major (It happens...look at Curtis and Daly, who was the NINTH qualifier when he won the PGA Championship), and you are more or less set for life.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #10
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

Well said Kevin except I wouldnt use set for life. Daly only got endorsement offers from Wilson which ranks at the bottom of the totem pole in quality of equipment. For winning the tournament you only get like 1.5 million. You make the money by getting endorsed. Curtis was endorsed before but Im sure for little amounts of money. Golfers do make money from winning tourneys but the real dough is in the endorsements.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
Old 08-12-2003, 12:07 PM   #11
luckybird
Sports Enthusiast

luckybird is on a distinguished road

golf is boring to watch but its fun to play
luckybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:54 PM   #12
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

Default Re: Ever Wonder Why.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Aristides
Ever wonder why golf is growing in popularity and why people who don't even play go to tournaments or watch it on TV?
Thats what Aristides said Luckybird....thats the purpose of the thread.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~