Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-16-2005, 06:08 AM   #16
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

If I'm trading for Ron, I have to have personnel that will keep him in check. That's why I'm wary of him going to Dallas if I'm a Mavericks fans. Who keeps Artest in line? Dirk? Jason Terry? Avery Johnson?

Miami makes sense in that regard, because no one in their right mind is messing with Shaq and Gordon Gekko.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #17
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
no one in their right mind is messing with Shaq and Gordon Gekko.
:lol: Gordon Gekko - that's great!

You are absolutely right about needing people to keep Artest in check, but with the already volatile mix of players on the team right now, it just might send them over the edge......
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #18
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I appears that Artest will get his wish and be traded to an NBA West team. Where does he go? How about the T'Wolves? He could co-exist with KG and be traded for Wally.
Who has a glaring need for a shooting guard that plays great defense? Everyone.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #19
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedmace
I want Artest on the Knicks at all costs. Maybe exception to trading Channing Frye. But get Artest on this team now because we need someone that ca play defense. The Knicks are sucking right now badly!
If you take any stock in what Peter Vecsey has to say, looks like there's no way Ron Ron is headed to MSG.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/58862.htm
Old 12-17-2005, 02:50 AM   #20
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Donnie Walsh is freakin' genius. By stating that he's received "quality" offers, including some that include All-Star caliber players, the price of Ron Artest keeps going up.

I don't doubt that he's received offers from about a dozen teams (although e could be lying and no one would know), and by making it a public announcement he's putting pressure on teams to get Artest.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:03 AM   #21
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I would have to look at the Peja/Artest trade as being worthy of consideration. As a Sacramento resident and Kings fan, I would welcome the trade. Peja obviously wants out and is a mere shadow of the player he has been several years ago.

Also, I hear the Lakers want him but are quite reluctant to part with Lamar Odom for him, as they should be.

Artest is such a wild card. You know you're going to get phenomenal defense and All-Star level offense, but how is his mental instability (to put it nicely) going to affect the group dynamic of your team? That's a tough call to make.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #22
zjar
Rookie Player

zjar is on a distinguished road

Indeed Walsh most likely wil go West Coast though he won't state so in order not to drive down value. But does he want to face him up 8-12X a year plys playoffs? Probably not. May be a 3 way trade. I think Pacers are looking at a mix of salary savings and young talent plus pick.

Maybe Lakers, George-salary comes off this year, Bynum- young talent and #1 pick. Clippers could trade Maggette straight up. Warriors for Dunleavy and Foyle for Artest and Foster. Teams that dont have a soldi head coach not not apply. So Clips and Warriors may not try hard enough. That leaves Jackson, Karl, Poppovich in the West maybe RIley and Brown in the East but again West is preferred. Who knows.... Whoever gets him though, could have the piece to get over the hump. He plays D and has great offensive game too. Could you imagine of the Lakers were able toget get AND keep Odom. Bryant, Artest, and Odom. Wow! Phil handled Rodman........
zjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #23
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRedd
And looking at the salaries, I see some deals that could work with the Knicks. Artest and Fred Jones, for Eddy Curry, Trevor Ariza and David Lee would be great for the Pacers, I think. Both Ariza and Lee look to be solid rotation guys and Eddy Curry and JO down on the blocks would be dominant.
Thing is that the Knicks are being pretty adamant about not dealing guys like Frye, Curry, Ariza, Lee, and Nate Robinson. Which is probably the best stance to take for the long term future of the team. That is going to be a good core of players if they can manage to keep it together over the next few years. Given the sorry state of the East after the top five or six teams Artest could potentially make them a playoff team but they still would not have the talent to get deep into the playoffs. Ultimately, the Knicks are best served by looking into trying to dump guys like Crawford and Richardson if they can and keep building with young talent through the draft.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:50 AM   #24
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

I think that if you are looking for a team to trade for Artest you need to have a strong star player to keep him in line as was mentioned before as well as a big name coach who can deal with him. But you also need to have a strong GM to make this trade because if this goes bad then said GM WILL be fired. I think this is what is bringing such reluctance to make a deal for the guy. If the GM trades good young talent that the Pacers would want and then Ron does not move that team to the next level then the fans and the owner will turn on the team and the GM.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:57 AM   #25
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

and now we have Artest realizing his idiocy and stating that he wants to remain in Indiana. Is it too late? That's the question.
I would still say keep him, if I'm Indiana... that's their best chance of a championship.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #26
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Except that he seems to have burned some bridges in the lockerroom already though. Jermaine O'Neal seemed to endorse the idea of moving him last week and if I am not mistaken the team is 3-1 since they de-activated Artest last week.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:00 AM   #27
zjar
Rookie Player

zjar is on a distinguished road

He is gone. There is no way Walsh, Bird or O'neal want him back. Where does it stop in Indy if he stays? Now, if traded, especially somewhere he doesn't necessarily want to be, it will be a wake up call.

Does it need to be a big name GM? No, just one with cajones. This is a high risk high reward trade. He could be the missing link for many teams. He is one of the FEW multi dimesional players. Best in the NBA on defense, and above average if not excellent offensive skills. A big name coach, and yes, possibly another head strong All-star to keep him in check.

Sounds more and more like the Lakers if they can muster what the Pacers want. Maybe a 3 way deal needs to be done. I hear the Lakers will give up anyone but Odom and Bryant. We'll see, but it would be very unlikely to see him go to an Eastern team, just because the last thing the Pacers need is to see Artest 8x a year and playoffs. Unless he goes to Atlanta or Toronto, the utimate payback.
zjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #28
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

I seems the Pacers are trying hard to get Al Harrington back from Atlanta in return. The main problem is that the Hawks don't want any part of Artest, so they're looking for a third team. I've heard Minnesota is interested but are offering Wally, who neither ATL or Indy want. Denver hasn't expressed any public interest, but I've seen the possibility of Nene and Watson to ATL, Ron to Denver and Al Harrington to Indy mentioned. Haven't checked to see if the salaries work. ATL or Indy may have to include more depending on how much Nene and Watson make. This is pure speculation by some rumor article I read though. And that sportswriter probably just made it up like all these other guys are doing. Still, as an Indy fan, I'd be ecstastic to see Big Al come back.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #29
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The rumor that seems to have the most legs right now is Artest to Denver, Watson/Nene to ATL, and Harrington to Indy. It is interesting that Atlanta would take Nene as I believe he is out for the year with a blown knee.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #30
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
The rumor that seems to have the most legs right now is Artest to Denver, Watson/Nene to ATL, and Harrington to Indy. It is interesting that Atlanta would take Nene as I believe he is out for the year with a blown knee.
Yea Nene has been out since very early in the season. I think Denver would get the best out of that deal, with Carmelo, Kenyon, Artest, etc.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote