Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-08-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Sleeper Players

Who do you think will ,unexpectedly, break out of the shell and have a huge year?

I have a few players in mind, that I think can/should have a great year.

QBs:
Byron Leftwich. With Mark Brunell past his prime, By the end of the season I see Leftwich to be starting.
From seeing him master these in college, He has he leadership and intensity to have a great season. I have never seen some one be able to read the other defence like he does.
He is big and tall. I think him in the pocket, could confuse the defence with his ability to look down field and hit the open man. If he doesn't see some one down field, he always finds a way to toss it to a running back or shallow receiver.

Peyton Manning. He has been a great 4,000 yard passer,every year since his rookie season. Coming into his 5th season, he can make some thing happen. He is an amazing season passer.
He is a leader
But that is part of the problem.
In big games or plays that he has to make, he thinks "I have to make this throw and I have to make some thing happen." Lots of times in those situations he forces passes that aren't there.
If he can just put the whole package together, He could have a record breaking season.

RBs:
Jerome "The Bus" Bettis. I think the only thing that is holding him back is his health. I think he can still plow through defenders and make huge plays. His attitude is still great. If he plays, he will still be more pumped up about winning that any on else on the field.
I think he has one more 1,000 yard season left in him.

Eddie George. Still a great running back. Did every one forget about him? The same as Bettis, The guy needs to stay healthy. With a solid team in front of him, I think he can get things cooking this year.

WRs:
Peter Warrick. With Carson Palmer throwing, I think he will be an explosive WR. I can see him having many 65+ yard TDs. If he can be found in the back field, He will do well.

Antonio Bryant. If he gets the starting job, like last year, he will put up numbers. With Parcells new look to the offence, Bryant should get the chance to show what he has got. Last year he had a good season. I think,if he gets the chance, he will be a big contribution to the Cowboy's offence.

Well, tell me what you think of my picks.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I think that Jake Plummer will have a breakout season, with all those great receivers around him. But what do I know, I'm a biased fan?!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

None of those players will have breakout seasons. I agree with orangeman, I think if anyone has a breakout season it will be Plummer.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
dizzle
Grizzled Veteran

dizzle is on a distinguished road

I think that the Bettis (the bus) will have a great year. I also agree with Orangmen, Jake Plummer will have a great year also I think. Same with Chris Brown. I think he'll have a good year too.

~A. Coyle~
dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

I look for Kordell Stewart to have a good year..

He has all the tools to be a Michal Vick/Donovon McNabb type player. Sure he will never be as good as them but he could still be a decent starter.

If Chicago uses his strengths to their advantage then he will be a very good quarterback. The only questions on him are his accuracy. He has a great running game and can throw the ball. If he works on his accuracy and has confidence then he will do fine. If not then he may get booed out of Chicago too.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:12 AM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Let's see...

Leftwich won't have a breakout year considering he's not even signed ... and besides, Brunnell is the starter this year, Leftwich's best days are in the future.

Manning can have a great year, but he is a perennial Pro Bowler ... how does he EVER get categorized as a sleeper? Good grief.

Bettis and George are old, slow, and worn-down and there is nothing you can do to get back from that. Famous Amos will steal the show in Steeltown while George will have a decent, but not great year at Tennessee. George has definitely lost a step and is nothing more than mediocre right now. The fact that these two are physical, abusive runners are has ultimately led to their downfall. When runners dish off as much punishment as they receive, their lifespan as an elite player is significantly shorter.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #7
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

No way Loser,
Kordell sucks. He thought he was under such high media pressure here in Pittsburgh, wait til he gets to chicago.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
Old 08-11-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
luckybird
Sports Enthusiast

luckybird is on a distinguished road

ya plumer will have a good year,loser your talking crap kordell will not have a good year.
luckybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #9
redsox
Grizzled Veteran

redsox is on a distinguished road

mike vick is going to have an amazing season, better than last year. another guy i think will break out is roy williams in dallas. he'll be a star this year.
redsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

mike vick is the most talented player ever to play any sport. No doubt in my mind. Before his career ends he will have put up some amazing numbers.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
Old 08-11-2003, 05:51 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Sleeper Players --Meaning someone who's going to have an incredible year unexpectedly:

Daniel Graham, TE New England
Matt Hasselbeck, QB Seattle
Chad Johnson, WR Cincinnatti
Donte Stallworth, WR New Orleans (I'm a little iffy about this being a sleeper, but throwing it out there anyway)
Antonio Bryant, WR Dallas (but probably pretty quietly)
Luke Staley, RB Detroit
Cory Redding, DE Detroit
and my sleeper player of the year would have to be
Freddie Mitchell, WR Philadelphia--if he doesn't wake up this year, his career is kaput...

Dave
Old 08-11-2003, 06:14 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by redsox
mike vick is going to have an amazing season, better than last year. another guy i think will break out is roy williams in dallas. he'll be a star this year.
Vick was a STAR last year. He will be a bigger star this year, but what does that have to do with SLEEPERS? The definition of a sleeper is someone who comes out of nowhere to make a big impact. Apparently, that definition is not clear to a lot of people. Vick, Kordell, George, Bettis, Manning, and Plummer are NOT sleepers, but established veterans already.

Last edited by Marc; 12-15-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:55 PM   #13
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Agreed Dave on Chad Johnson, although he had 69 catches last year, most folks don't know much about him. He will impress this season. I pretty much agree with every player on Dave's list as possibilites.

Other Sleepers....
Josh Reed WR Buffalo
Onterrio Smith RB Minnesota....if he ever gets to start
Javon Walker WR Green Bay
Kelly Campbell WR Minnesota

Reed and Walker are definite #2's right now for their respective teams. Campbell and Smith are major pushes, but if they play I like their abilities within that Minnesota offense.

Joey
Old 08-12-2003, 04:29 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Joey adds mucho. I debated about Josh Reed and Onterrio Smith and completely missed Walker and Campbell.

I think Campbell could be a lock as a guy destined to have a breakout year. Culpepper was able to find him late last year when the Randy Ratio started being pulled from the playbook.

Walker has Favre excited, I read somewhere, and that has to bode well for him as well. If I were a receiver who wanted to have a breakout year, I'd want Favre as my QB, and Holmgren as my coach. So, Walker has 3/4 of the requirements, anyway...

Dave
Old 08-12-2003, 06:19 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Another sleeper... Teyo Johnson, TE/WR/H-B Oakland
While we're at it, if Doug Jolley had an incredible year, would that constitute the arrival of a sleeper? He came on late last year, and will likely be a common target in the Raiders' offense.

Dave