Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 02-13-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
BobbyBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

BobbyBaseball is on a distinguished road
Default JR Done for season?

JR took a puck to the jaw in last nights game at the Garden. He laid motionless in a pool of blood for several minutes...out cold! He was taken to Saint Vincents and had surgery friday. His status for this season is yet to be determined. The last time he broke his jaw he was out for 3 1/2 weeks, but this break was very nasty according to media reports out of Philadelphia. Boyd Kane was called up from the Phantoms to take JR's roster spot.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:00 p.m. ET Feb. 15, 2004

Philadelphia Flyers center Jeremy Roenick is considering retirement after sustaining the ninth concussion of his career when he was struck in the face with a puck.

Roenick had surgery to repair a broken jaw after he was drilled by a slap shot off the stick of New York Rangers defenseman Boris Mironov on Thursday.

“I’m mulling over a lot of things right now and I’m not ruling out retirement,” Roenick, 34, told The Philadelphia Inquirer while in attendance for the Flyers’ home rematch with New York.

Roenick, whose jaw is wired shut, said he doesn’t expect to return for the regular season.

“My senses have been good, but other symptoms like lightheadedness and dizziness and nausea and stuff like that have been pretty prevalent the last few days,” he said.

“No one wants to come back more than I do, but no one has to live my life like I do. So I have to take some very cautious steps here.”

Roenick said the concussion, in the midst of a promising season for the team, is the biggest challenge of his career. But he remains motivated to return to the ice.

He hopes “to do everything I can to try to get back when I can and help this team go to the Stanley Cup,” he said.

Roenick, the team’s second leading scorer, has 18 goals and 27 assists in 57 games for the Eastern Conference-leading Flyers.
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:01 AM   #3
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

I kind of wonder why Philly traded Comrie for Burke. Don't get me wrong, getting Burke was big, but I'm sure they could have got Burke for a couple of picks. I don't know if JR will come back, but I think he might. It's going to be tough though, but Philly is deep enough to win the East this year.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
BobbyBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

I agree Brian. I think the Flyers gave up too much for Burke. He is a nice netminder to have for the playoff run but, to give up such a talented young player. I guess you have to give to get eh? Time will tell if it was a good move....as for JR, I think he will retun for the playoffs, but I think he's playing on borrowed time.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Sure, they maybe could have gotten Burke for a couple of picks. That's a nice deal for Philly but Phoenix wouldn't make that trade!! They're a nice little team and needed a forward if they were to give up Burke.

As for Roenick, he may retire even!!! But I'm sure we'll see him back and leave the game under his own power.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
BobbyBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

Well said SC! I'm not really upset with the deal for Burke, but many in Philly hated the trade. They wanna give up Joe Schmoo for Brodeur (If you know what I mean). I really think that Clarke is not done dealing yet!

In Burke's first two games with the Flyboys... Burke looked real solid.

Ya know...JR is one tough dude. He was at the game Saturday afternoon cheering on the team, and even granted comcast an interview. Recchi said that JR actually called from the hospital Thursday night asking how Primeau was doing....
Old 02-17-2004, 01:36 AM   #7
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Roenick is a tough guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back to playing in 3 weeks. He'd probably come out playing with an Eagles football helmet. I think the Flyers have enough depth to still be an elite team without Roenick.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

The Flyers will miss Roenick. There isnt any doubt about that. However, if you look down there lineup its not as if hes their only player. Picking up Burke was big, and had Roenick not been injured they would be the clear favorite to take the east. Even without him getting injured its hard to imagine anyone looking at that roster and saying they are in trouble. If you want a team thats in trouble look at the team at the other end of the state.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:11 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Clear fav even with Roenick????

The Sens would have something to say about that.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #10
BobbyBaseball
Grizzled Veteran

Well JR has been skating with the team. I'd be willing to bet he's back before the season ends. He is still wired shut and I am not sure when they are do to come off.

Primes is day to day but the Flyers will not take any chances rushing him back. Primes is a very important on this squad. He does all the little things (that sc talks about) great. Things that don't show up in the boxscore!

In my opinion, I feel the Flyers (If healthy) have what it takes to go deep into the playoffs. The key Esche!!!