Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 02-18-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Big trouble in Colorado

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2154360

Allegations of the university using sex parties to lure recruits, where women were reportedly raped, and a former female place kicker from 1999 coming forward and saying she was physically abused and assaulted are a recipe for a messy situation, to say the least.

But the worst thing is coach Gary Barnett's comments about this girl, who is now at another college. He said she was horrible to begin with and couldn't get it through the uprights. He came off as a jerk with no feelings or emotions, and I think his days are numbered.

Just what the NCAA needs, another scandal.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Not to make a serious situation petty, but that kicker is pretty hot!!
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I read about that today Marc. That thin air will make you crazy.

My dad had to have oxygen years ago when climbing Pike Peaks lol He wasn't actually climbing-he was just walking around the peak.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

This has been a story boiling about for the last several weeks. It's interesting, though, that it took Hnida's allegations of rape to Rick Reilly --who I really, really hate-- in SI to make it a CNN story or even something worthy of posting here.

I've been taking the tack with this story that if I posted it earlier, then I'd look like some goon when I suggested shutting down the football program.

So, now that we have a national story with legs (and yes, edgar, I agree Katie Hnida is on the attractive side) I'll say it:

Hoffman (CU's prez) needs to shut down the program for a year. Those who want to play will likely get another year of eligibility and/or freedom to go to another program without losing eligibility or having to sit a year... those who were thinking pro careers can file to enter the draft a touch early, or wait till next year.

And before anyone says you're punishing innocents... These guys have doing this shtuff for several years. Whether it predates Barenett, or Hnida, or whatever, is inconsequential. The university football program has been doing "whatever it wants/takes" to get recruits in. Dig long enough, and you'll probably find more egregious recruiting offenses that actually skirt NCAA regulations, nevermind actual STATE LAW.

Okay. I feel better now.

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

So... I'm thinking about this some more, reading some of the shill from ESPN that Disney has to provide, and I'm left wondering why Rick Neuheisel isn't getting some blame, at least in the Hnida situation. He recruited her, and ALL of the men who allegedly abused, mollested, and raped her. True, Barnett should take his lumps--his program is clearly out of control-- but, let's start ramming Neuheisel, too. These were his recruits, after all.

Another question that keeps bothering me: Why didn't Barnett just f'ing cut the woman if she was so "terrible"? His career wouldn't be in jeopardy, and Hnida would likely be living a moderately well-adjusted life as a graduate of Colorado...

It's all about the obvious turning points, the decisions that get made, or not made...

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

It would have been a PR disaster if Barnett would have cut her.

It's funny that Barnett has been placed on leave NOT because of ANYTHING to do with the alleged crimes or mishandling of said crime, but because he said Hnida was a terrible player, which, well, she was.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

That Barnett dug himself a hole which he will not get out of by saying those nasty things about that girl. I hope he gets what he deserves...humiliation in front of the entire country and a pink slip to go with it.

This is kind of off topic but....Ill bet shes a better kicker than he is.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

OH, come on, Kevin. Barnett could EASILY have said then, "She's just not very good, she'll never get to play here" and saved himself some headaches one, two and four years down the road. The beating then would have saved him, and maybe the program. It certainly wouldn't have cost him his job... securing a spot for a kid who MIGHT have actually played in two or three years would have been worth it, I think.

There would have been no PR disaster, because it would have come as expected. And, if he was forced to keep her against his will, well, then, he should just plain ol' say so. Anything else makes him look dumber than he already looks.

I think the CU prez did what she needed to do, as regarding relieving him --likely permanently-- of his post. She regarded, as did everyone, his comments as incredibly inappropriate under the circumstances.

Girl: "RAPE!"
Coach: "You suck. I mean it. You blow. You suck so bad.."
Girl: "But I cried RAPE!"
Coach: "If you didn't suck, maybe you wouldn't get raped. Lord knows football players don't rape women who don't suck."

It wasn't his intent, but tense times require keeping adjectives and performance appraisals to a minimum.

It's funny, early in the season, when CU was struggling mightily, I happened to catch the CU football show on Fox SN Digital Central, and I was struck by just how bad this guy is on camera. Everything that left his mouth sounded like... garbage.

The guy's a decent football coach, but a PR wiz? Nuh-uh.

Dave
Old 02-24-2004, 01:13 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yea, he should have cut her right off the bat. Penn Stater had a female kicker try out. She wasn't good enough, she was gone. No one complained. This is certainly a much larger PR disaster.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote