Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 02-19-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default This Year's Recap, To This Point.

Just woundering who you guys think can make a run in March and if your team has been playing well or not.

Duke stayed strong. Untill the last two games. The lost two in a row, to NC State and Wake Forest.

My team, Pitt have played strong. They have 2 losses that were to good teams, Seton Hall and UCONN. They can make a run for #1 in polls if Stanford and St. Joes lose. Pitt will end up ranked in the top 5, but there is something about them that make me think they won't make it past the sweet 16. They are good, but they don't have that something that wins the torn. in March.

Stanford if by far the #1 team in the nation.

St. Joes doesn'y play any1 good this year. That is why they have no loses. I don't think they will make it past the elete 8.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:05 PM   #2
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Id be shocked if St. Joes made it to the great 8. I see them losing in the sweet 16/
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Purdue has been a big disapointment. After starting the season strong and beating Duke (which had been the Blue Devils' only loss until their recent slide) Purdue has lost 9 since and are on the NCAA tournament "bubble"...Purdue can be a really good team when they want to be. Hopefully they can pick it up here at the end of the season.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

Its hard to tell what St. Joe's will do. Look who've theyve played.

I like Stanford to go all the way to the Championship game.

UPSET SPECIAL: look for Wake Forest and Seton Hall(should they keep playing well) to do suprising things in the tournament

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

SOMEONE DEFEND STANFORD'S SCHEDULE

If you think St. Joe has played an easier schedule then you are braindead. If you think Pitt is better than St. Joe, fine. If you think Kentucky is better, fine.

Same record and St. Joe plays the tougher schedule. Yet people think Stanford is "for real".

Do you guys watch any games or do you just watch SlantedCenter and listen to Dick Vitale SCREAM.

Does this make St. Joe any better...

THEY'RE AWESOME BABY! UP AND DOWN THE COURT! OHHH MAN! OHHH BABY!! PTP'ERS BABY! THEY GET IT DONE!!! ST JOSEPH'S MR PHELPS!!

Right now I think St Joe is the best team in the country. Pitt is close, but St. Joe is a little better. They've got the best player in the Nation and Delonte West is damn good as well.

Come on Ellis, you can not possibly make the statement "Stanford if by far the #1 team in the nation" and then say St. Joe doesn't play anybody. It shows that you simply don't care to watch the games.

Do you think the Pac-10 is better than the A-10 this year?

You guys are a ****ing joke with all of this St. Joe bashing. They might slip up in the Tournament, as ANY TEAM CAN DO, but right now they are the best team in the country...and **** it...BY FAR.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Duke without a doubt and Mississippi State.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:23 AM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Doug, you make an argument that St. Joe's is as good as anyone, but how are they better than Stanford is both have played similarly weak schedules?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I think Louisville will regroup and be a big factor.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #9
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

I think Lousiville is done. I think Stanford is better than St. Joe's. I think St. Joe's is better than most people are willing to give them credit for. I think Mississippi State is better than both of them. I think the Pac-10 and the A-10 only get two teams each in the tournament. I think Florida State will beat Duke. I think Roy Williams will cry at least one more time before the end of the season.

And most importantly, I think the Billikens lose out in the first round of the NIT.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Doug, you make an argument that St. Joe's is as good as anyone, but how are they better than Stanford is both have played similarly weak schedules?
First off, their schedules aren't similarly weak. St. Joe's has a much tougher schedule than Stanford. St. Joe's is in a tougher conference and also has to play the Big Five games. Much tougher than what Stanford has done.

Second, I'm not basing my opinion of St. Joe and Stanford on their SOS. My opinion is made up by watching the teams play.

I mainly bring up the schedules because people are saying one thing about Stanford and another about St. Joe. People say that St. Joe isn't for real, but Stanford is, based on the schedule St. Joe has played. That to me is ridiculous. I'm bringing up the SOS argument because of what others have said. My problem isn't really with people knocking St. Joe, it's with the double standard that people have. If you're going to say Stanford is a better team because St. joe hasn't played anybody, you should at least know what you're talking about.

I think St. Joe would have little trouble with teams like Duke and Stanford. They might run into trouble against a team like Cincy or Louisville though.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:18 AM   #11
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
I think St. Joe would have little trouble with teams like Duke and Stanford. They might run into trouble against a team like Cincy or Louisville though.
You had me until here Doug. St. Joe should not be counted out because of its schedule, but I can't agree that St. Joe would have "little trouble" with Duke. If I was a betting man (which I am not) I'd say the Blue Devils would win that game.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:54 AM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Duke isn't overwhelming inside and guard play, well, the advantage there is obvious.

Main thing is that I think St. Joe matches up with them well. Duke isn't going to handle covering 4 guards and won't be able to dominate them on the glass enough to make up the difference. It's not a knock on Duke, it's just that I think only a certain type of team is going to beat St. Joe.

Last edited by HibachiDG; 02-23-2004 at 03:07 AM.