Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Quentin out

excerpt:

Quentin has broken wrist, will have surgery

CHICAGO (AP) - American League home run leader Carlos Quentin has a broken wrist, and the Chicago White Sox left fielder will have surgery Monday that could sideline him for the rest of the season.

Quentin was removed from the lineup before Tuesday's game because of what the White Sox described then as a sore right forearm, and he hasn't played since. The team said Friday that he was hurt during last Monday's game at Cleveland....

Quentin has been hit 20 times in all this year, the most in the American League.

Chi-Sox can start emptying their lockers early.

Regardless of if they got to the post season or how far they may have gotten once there, this seals the deal on all of that talk...

:redhot::redhot::redhot:
Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I heard this just about an hour ago. Sucks for the Sux.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

That's too bad, I liked the guy and that he was living up to his D'Back's hype. We'll see if Griffey Jr. can pick up the slack. I'd have to say this puts the Central in the favor of the Twins by a bit. I thought they were pretty even going into the last month.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Quentin was having a year that most players can only dream about. He left a decent situation in Arizona to join a team in a better situation. I hope he makes a full recovery and is ready to play next season.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

This probably all but locks up the MVP for Pedroia now. It was probably going to come down to those two with Josh Hamilton getting his share of votes as well.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I would agree with that, Doublee. However, if Justin Morneau goes on a tear, driving in 25 runs in the next 22 games and the Twins win the AL Central, he will get a lot of consideration for the award again.

Catman
Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Yuck, not the greatest crop of AL MVP's this year. Mauer's another one to look at. My guess is that Pedroia will need some PR to pull off the the AL MVP, worthy or not.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Yuck, not the greatest crop of AL MVP's this year. Mauer's another one to look at. My guess is that Pedroia will need some PR to pull off the the AL MVP, worthy or not.
I know part of the problem is a lot of the league's top hitters are on teams that have been out of the hunt for a while now so folks are not paying that much attention to them.

Pedroia seems to be the pick of the guys on ESPN. They keep throwing his name out there whenever they show Sox highlights and he does something positive.

I almost forgot. Don't forget about Francisco Rodriguez either. He will surely get his share of votes since he is going to set the saves record for arguably the league's best team and they have nobody swinging a hot enough bat to warrant consideration. Vlady has the best numbers and he is not even on pace to hit 30 homers or drive in 100 runs.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Relief pitchers don't get credit for their value, doublee. K'Rod won't win the Cy Young, Cliff Lee likely will. He will get the Rolaids award, however. The MVP is traditionally given to a position player that creates a lot of runs. Presently, Pedroia has created 170 runs (runs scored + RBI - Hr). Morneau has created 178. Hamilton has created 180. Quentin has only created 160.

Catman
Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

True they don't. But in a season where there really are no dominant offensive players on the best teams I would not be surprised to see K-Rod in the mix.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Morneau has 183 runs created right now and Hamilton has 180. Pedroia has 171.

Catman