Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #16
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Agreed, Stealth

I get the feeling he could be in for a rude awakening but I thought the same thing when he tried out for the Vikings & a got a contract for training camp. The guy's a good athlete & has a good background in wrestling all the way back to college. If he doesn't get too full of himself & go WWE gonzo, he just may wait for his moment & make some noise....or submit in 2 minutes.

I just like the fact that he's asked to fight someone with a name & cred right off the bat. He seems like he could be ready for the bright lights. As opposed to the hype of another newcomer, Kimbo Slice, who seems also to be smart enough to let them set him up with veritable tin cans i.e. 16th with Tank Abbot. Slice is just a hype machine based on brawling where I think Lesnar may be a pleasant surprise.

Hopefully it'll be a good one...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #17
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

StealthElephant is on a distinguished road

Yea, to not play football since high school, then to walk onto the Vikings camp 9 years later and be offered a spot in the developmental league in europe, shows just how athletically gifted he is. A 280lb man is not supposed to move as well as he does. I think of Brian Urlacher, but even bigger when I look at Lesnar.

They had an all access show on Lesnar and the guy sweats 10lbs of water during his workouts, just completely dripping wet. That means 1-2min into the fight once he starts sweating, hes going to be almost impossible to submit cause he'll be so sweaty.

6'2" 255lb

6'3" 280lb

Frank Mir is a big guy, but Lesnar makes him look tiny.

StealthElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #18
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Great pics...

Imposing to say the least. I wonder what kind of Fear Factor Mir may have. He's a tough nut & has the experience but Lesnar has some good cred of his own from his world also besides the size difference.

Another great point about the sweating. Reminds me of the old "greased pig" saying. I get the feeling this fight may end up being a toss up. Lesnar is a wrestler first & then a professional wrestler unlike a lot of pro wrestlers that are shown moves to compete just cuz they're big guys. I wish I had the disposable cash to see this one tonight.

Nice pre-fight clip...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #19
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Hey, Stealth

I'm prayin' you saw this one tonight. From the round to round breakdown, it seems Lesnar was dangerous, hurt Mir, but went WWE, left himself open & Mir made him pay. What'd ya think?

edit: Sylvia tappin' out in the 3rd after the round by round had him on top of Nogueira. C'mon, Stealth, be the SC on the scene reporter...

Last edited by Tarkus; 02-03-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #20
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

Lesnar was pounding Mir and completely dominating the fight up until he got kneebared. About 45 seconds before Lesnar got submitted, I thought the ref was going to stop the fight. Lesnar was on top of the Mir, in side control, just dropped elbows and hammer fists. It was pretty close to being stopped.

Lesnar took Mir down easily and was never in any danger from strikes. He actually caught Mir with a right hook to knock Mir down. Mir had 2 arm bar attempts which Lesnar stood up out of and neither were close.

Mir stood up out of a 3rd armbar attempt, and basically Mir transitioned from the arm bar and grabbed Lesnar's leg immediately after Lesnar stepped out of the arm bar and trapped his leg for the knee bar. It was a pretty slick move.

It was an experience thing, Lesnar realized what was going on 1/10th of a second too late. He tried to jump out of the kneebar and Mir turned and cranked it down. A more experienced fighter might have been able to roll with the knee bar and get out. Mir was bleeding from the face and pretty beat up after less than 2 minutes.

Sylvia landed a left hook straight right combo that put Nog down in the first and was landing straight rights and left hooks over and over and over. He defended every single takedown attempt until the 3rd round, when Nog got him down, and within 30 seconds he transitioned from a kimura lock into a guillotine choke. Nogs face was a bloody mess. Thats probably a fight Sylvia will lose 9/10 unless he can get a KO in the first or second. Because at some point during Nog was going to get a takedown, and Sylvia was completely outclassed the second it went to the ground. Nog was fast and fluid the second the fight hit the floor.

----------------

That said, there are quite a few decent heavies under UFC contract that are not submission experts, that Lesnar will be able to easily take down and pound out. He didn't sustain any damage in the fight, I'm assuming he tapped to the kneebar before there was any damage. So he should be ready to fight again in 2 months. He could easily fight 2-3 times in the next 7-8 months and get 3 impressive ground and pound wins and get some experience and work on sub defense. I think in a year, he beats Mir in a rematch (on new years eve possibly?) and in 2 years he's making at run at the title. Lesnar moves really really well for a 280lb man. He's fast and fluid. Not just his takedowns, but the way he moved when he had Mir down, you'd think you were watching a 170lber on the ground. His striking looked fine, and he timed his takedowns well, no bad shots from the outside. One of his takedowns he caught a leg kick from Mir. Lesnar definately has the athletic ability required to be not just a dominant wrestler, but to be very good at striking and submissions. He's really quick. Someone else pointed it out, that had Lesnar not gone for takedowns and opted to stand and trade hands, he probably would have KOed Mir standing. I probably sound like a broken record, but his hand speed was that much better. The only question mark is his chin, because he's still never been hit.

FYI, the UFC mentioned during the telecast, that they had to custom make XXXL size gloves for him because the XXL gloves did not fit. The custom XXXL gloves were still tight and had to be cut a little to fit. Those are some big hands.

Alot of respect for Lesnar for taking a fight against a guy whos strengths were Lesnars biggest weakest in only his 2nd professional fight. He stepped in against a legit HW and nearly TKOed him. 5-6 fights against gradually better competition and Lesnar will be a force.

Last edited by StealthElephant; 02-03-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #21
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Thanks, Stealth

Great rundown, made me feel like I saw it...:thumbup:
Old 02-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #22
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Not a bad Showtime weekend...

Yves Edwards had a pretty sweet knee KO James Edson Berto while Scott Smith just destroyed Kyle Noke. Nice KO by Brett Rogers over James Thompson. Pretty dull with Antonio Silva winning a sloppy fight with Ricco Rodriguez who's still just good enough to make it sloppy. Can't for the life of me figure how 1 judge had it for Ricco.

Kimbo is still a beast even tho Tank is just too old to do much. Not necessarily a bad Tank showing but I'm still waiting on someone with a good ground game to see what Kimbo can do. It's gonna be another Lesnar where he'll mawl someone till the right guy makes him tapout once it hits the ground. Still caveman style entertainment seeing a seek & destroy fighter like Slice. :thumbup:

Looking forward to the Frank Shamrock/Cung Le bout. That aughta be something special...

Last edited by Tarkus; 02-18-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:58 AM   #23
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

Antonio Silva had a torn MCL going into that fight from what I've heard. Didn't see the fight, but Ricco is a decent fighter, though I'm not sure wheres hes at since he's had substance abuse problems. He sounded really confident in an interview he did with sherdog.com a few days before the fight. His weigh in picks looked like he was out of shape. Combine that with Silva being a massive man, no wonder Ricco lost. If he can get his act together, he has the skill, he was UFC champ at one point.

Kimbo really doesn't interest me, the type of thing the sport needs to get away from. Maybe he turns out to be legit, but I have a feeling he just doesn't have the wrestling background to deal with most heavyweights. Someone who isn't a D level fighter is going to get him down and elbow him into oblivion.

As much as I hate Shamrock and think Cung Le is just too old at this point to seriously be a legit contender, Shamrock is probably going to win. Shamrock is a big man, and Cung is a natural 170lber fighting at 185lb. Shamrock by whatever he wants after he beats Cung up on the ground for 3-4 minutes. Fryklund and Von Flue for some ungodly stupid reason stood and traded strikes with Cung Le and paid for it. Shamrock knows better and will take it to the ground.

I'm really looking forward to the Dan Henderson vs. Anderson Silva fight coming up at UFC82. If Anderson beats Henderson, then Silva is without a doubt the #1 P4P fighter and cements himself as a superstar.

If you haven't seen Anderson Silva fight and haven't bought a UFC PPV yet, you might consider UFC 82:

http://www.vsocial.com/video/?d=50769 - UFC 64, MW Champion Rich Franklin Defends against Anderson Silva

http://www.mmatko.com/rich-franklin-...7-fight-video/ -UFC 77, MW Champion Anderson Silva Defends against Rich Franklin

Silva has been on a tear, going 5-0 in the UFC, 4 KO/TKO and 1 submission. Nobodies lasted more then 7-8 minutes.

Last edited by StealthElephant; 02-19-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #24
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthElephant View Post
Antonio Silva had a torn MCL going into that fight from what I've heard. Didn't see the fight, but Ricco is a decent fighter, though I'm not sure wheres hes at since he's had substance abuse problems. He sounded really confident in an interview he did with sherdog.com a few days before the fight. His weigh in picks looked like he was out of shape. Combine that with Silva being a massive man, no wonder Ricco lost. If he can get his act together, he has the skill, he was UFC champ at one point.
Ricco is just not in fighting shape but like you pointed out, still had the skill to frustrate Silva. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Rodriguez but I expected more from him & he just didn't look ready at all.

Quote:
Kimbo really doesn't interest me, the type of thing the sport needs to get away from. Maybe he turns out to be legit, but I have a feeling he just doesn't have the wrestling background to deal with most heavyweights. Someone who isn't a D level fighter is going to get him down and elbow him into oblivion.

No doubt. Listening to Slice sounds like he's believing the hype too. Gonna be a shock to the system when the right guy shows up in the cage. At least a Lesnar has some cred instead of just being a media creation.

Quote:
As much as I hate Shamrock and think Cung Le is just too old at this point to seriously be a legit contender, Shamrock is probably going to win. Shamrock is a big man, and Cung is a natural 170lber fighting at 185lb. Shamrock by whatever he wants after he beats Cung up on the ground for 3-4 minutes. Fryklund and Von Flue for some ungodly stupid reason stood and traded strikes with Cung Le and paid for it. Shamrock knows better and will take it to the ground.
Amen to that one. Le is dangerous upright but you're right, the ground is where his downfall lies with Shamrock. Still like to see this one tho...

I'm really looking forward to the Dan Henderson vs. Anderson Silva fight coming up at UFC82. If Anderson beats Henderson, then Silva is without a doubt the #1 P4P fighter and cements himself as a superstar.

Silva has been on a tear, going 5-0 in the UFC, 4 KO/TKO and 1 submission. Nobodies lasted more then 7-8 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I've seen him & he's a baaad man. He doesn't seem to have many, if any, real weakness. I also like how he adapts to the fighter in front of him. Smooth operator...

Should be a Helluva bout. Who's your pick in this one, Stealth?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 AM   #25
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

I think Dan can get him in a greco clinch and take him down and hold him there; but not really do any damage. But its going to be a boring fight if he does that. But if he does that, he probably wins a 5 round UD.

You look at Anderson's 5 fights in the UFC. Franklin, Leben, and Marqardt don't really have any signifcant wrestling background. Travis Lutter on the other hand was a straight up high school wrestling/submission fighter. Lutter got Anderson down and mounted him and got closer then anyone else to stopping Anderson. Lutter attempted a 20+lb weight cut the day before and couldn't make weight, came into the fight horribly dehydrated and it showed. Dan on the other hand is a 2 time olympic wrestler and has no problem making 185lb. Anderson's last loss was to Yushin Okami, who also is a wrestling based fighter. 3 of Anderson's 4 losses are to wrestlers/submissions.

So yea, Anderson is a great fighter, but I think Dan is the worst possible matchup for Silvia.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #26
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma...?urn=mma,68962

EliteXC on CBS

Rumors were that the UFC was in talks with CBS at the end of 07' due to the writers strike and CBS in need of non-scripted primetime content. Looks like CBS opted to support EliteXC, which has aired on Showtime (which is owned by CBS).

Definately a huge announcement tomorrow. MMA would be on a major television network in primetime for the first time ever. Could put EliteXC on the map as a legit contender to the UFC if those first couple of shows do well and CBS promotes it properly. I wonder if this will force the UFC to give up production control in order to get on NBC/HBO finally.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #27
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

You know of course that Dan Henderson has never been KO'd in his entire MMA career - of his six lifetime losses, four went the distance and he was submitted in the other two.

But in a fight that has slipped a bit under the radar, I give Jake O'Brien real chances of upsetting Andrei Arlovski. O'Brien is an undefeated underdog - always an intriguing proposition - and has been training with Dan Christison, who appeared on Season 2 of The Ultimate Fighter.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #28
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You know of course that Dan Henderson has never been KO'd in his entire MMA career - of his six lifetime losses, four went the distance and he was submitted in the other two.
Stats like that worry me, just cause Dans never been KO'ed, just means theres a first time for everything.

I think the fight comes down to range. Anderson won't outwrestle Dan, and Dan won't outstrike Anderson.

Silva has to maintain distance with his reach, and when the fight does go to the clinch, he has to make the knees he throws count.

I don't see O'brien, or anyone in the HW division except for maybe Lesnar, taking Arloski down. From what I've seen, O'brien's standup leaves something to be desired. AA by KO if O'brien can't consistently get the takedown(which I don't think he can)
Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #29
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthElephant View Post
Stats like that worry me, just cause Dans never been KO'ed, just means theres a first time for everything.

Except for my man Rashad Evans ever losing; and he won't lose to Grandpa Chuck Liddell - who lost to Keith Jardine, who lost to Rashad in The Ultimate Fighter Season 2 semifinals - at UFC 85 in England on June 7th.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 AM   #30
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Payback's a b-itch.

I wasn't convinced when Serra won last time & apparently neither was St-Pierre.
When Georges is pissed, he's even more impressive...

excerpt:

St-Pierre stops Serra for win at UFC 83

MONTREAL - Don't make Georges St-Pierre angry.

The pre-fight for St-Pierre vs. UFC welterweight champ Matt Serra was filled with lots of entertaining trash talk eminating from East Meadow, N.Y.

St-Pierre, considered the world's model mixed martial artist, didn't find it very funny. He charged across the ring and put Serra on his back six seconds into the fight. The massacre lasted 1 rounds, and it seemed like Serra never got off the mat.

St-Pierre finished the fight with a series of punches and huge knees to Serra's body at 4:44 of the second round.

A Montreal native, St-Pierre (15-2, 10-2 UFC) won back the UFC welterweight title belt he lost to Serra last year at UFC 69 in Houston. Serra left the ring with his face chopped up and swollen below his right eye.

It was clear St-Pierre was fighting with a little angst. He referenced Serra's trash talk several times during the week leading up to the fight. The fighters got into a war of words on the radio, with Serra calling St-Pierre "frenchy."

Pete Sell, a member of Serra's camp, also annoyed St-Pierre by calling him a "mental midget" and saying, "GSP is the type of guy that would back down from a fight in a bar."

It was all water under the bridge once St-Pierre won the fight.

"Thanks to Matt Serra, he took the fight in my town. It means a lot to me," said St-Pierre, who is just 26 years old. "If we have to fight again in New York. I will do it. If I have to fight in your town, I will "

After this one, a third fight would be a tough sell. Serra did score a first round knockout in the first meeting against St-Pierre, but Saturday's performance made that look like a fluke.

"I wanted to work submissions," said Serra, who runs several jiu-jitsu schools in New York. "He was just too slippery. He's phenomenal. He's the best in the world."