Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road
Default French Open 2011

Let's get the discussion going..

Isner took Nadal to 5 sets but nobody really believed that Isner was going to win. Even the other players in the player's lounge.

So far no major surprises other than Thomas Berdych and Nicolas Almagro losing.

Women's side is full of names that nobody can recognize. But plenty of good tennis is on tap.

Keep the comments coming.

Here is my article regarding the first few days..

https://www.sports-central.org/sport...arros_2011.php

Mertov
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Do people really still watch this shit?????
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Mertov
All-Star Player

The suprises are coming fast in the Women's draw..

Kim Clijsters lost to Arantxa Rus of Netherlands, ranked outside top 100! But more shocking than the loss itself is the way Clijsters lost it.. She is cruising through a set up and 5-2 up and all of a sudden can't finish it off. From there on, Rus wins the next 11 out of 12 games and match is over. You would expect that kind of turnaround when an unknown player catches a big lead against a top seed before things go back to normal and the unknown realizes that it's reality and not a dream; and ultimately the top player prevails. But this was the other way around. Clijsters looked like the panicking player. And even after she lost the second from 5-2 and match points up, you would think that she would put the gear back on and still win the match against the young outside-top-100 player, but no... Clijsters just kept melting away.

Wozniacki, top seeded player, also lost. She has not had a good clay court season, but still, she got crushed in two easy sets...

Del Potro and Djokovic are tied one set each, the match picks back up tomorrow.

Mertov
Old 05-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Mertov
All-Star Player

Djokovic won the next two sets fairly routine. Del Potro showed great signs though on his comeback trail. My only doubt would be the fact that in the past hip surgeries have not been kind to players. Once your hip gets injured and you have surgery, you remain a shadow of your past play, become more likely to get injured again, and eventually the pain becomes too much to continue at that level... Norman and Kuerten are two examples.

All the top 4 seeds are still going strong in the French. It will be interesting to see if we see any names outside of Nadal, Murray, Federer, and Djokovic in the semis.

Mertov
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Mertov
All-Star Player

Federer takes out Gael Monfils in three sets by playing his best tennis of the 2011 year. The best player of 2011, Novak Djokovic awaits him there. It should be a great match.

Marion Bartoli made it to the semis. The French have someone to cheer for. it should be a fun semis with her and Schiavone. Sharapova now has a legitimate shot to get to the finals.

Tomorrow, Nadal vs. Soderling should be interesting. It looks like the top 4 seeds are going to make it to the semis in men's draw. On the women's side, there is a god chance that none may make it there.

Mertov
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Mertov
All-Star Player

Complete opposites....

On the Men's side, the top 4 seeds are in the semis:
Rafael Nadal vs. Andy Murray
Novak Djokovic vs. Roger Federer

On the Women's side, all top 4 seeds are out before the semis:

Li Na vs. Maria Sharapova
F. Schiavone vs. Marion Bartoli

Mert
Old 06-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Mertov
All-Star Player

Federer pulls the upset by playing his best tennis of the year 7/6 6/3 3/6 7/6 over Djokovic. In my opinion, the first set of that match was the best tennis that I have seen this year. Nadal won in three (but tough) sets against Murray. Another classic Federer-Nadal final awaits us Sunday.

But first tomorrow's Women's finals: Will Schiavone repeat as the title holder or will Li Na be the first Chinese player to win a Slam...

Mertov
Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

luke broadbent is on a distinguished road

Federer-Djokovic was quite a match. Federer is clearly embracing the underdog/"he's over the hill" tag. It was vintage Federer with those three aces in the tie-break. Typical Federer clutch serving.

I'm looking forward to the women's final. Two women who play with variety and battle. Could be quite a long match. I would like Li Na to win but I expect Schiavone to win in 3.

As good as Federer looked I'm not sure he's going to beat Nadal. Nadal's "crisis" has been way over-stated, proven by his impressive win against Murray. I reckon Nadal in 4.
luke broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Mertov
All-Star Player

I agree with you Luke. Federer has moved better than I have seen him in a long time and is hitting his forehand like a rocket. That being said, Federer has to do two things to even have a chance against Rafa (I do believe that he has a chance though) : (1) He has to serve extremely well. (2) He needs to win the first set.

Otherwise, I see Nadal taking this in three sets, I would be surprised if it even went to four.

Congratulations to Li Na, and to Schiavone frankly, for making it a match in the second set.

Mert
Old 06-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Mertov
All-Star Player

Rafa wins after a great match played by both players..
7/5 7/6 5/7 6/1

Some remarkable tennis..

Mert