Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 06-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default WAC: best mid-major?

Cory McCartney of CNNSI.com thinks so in an article here...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ise/index.html

but I'm not too sure.

The MWC has BYU and TCU while the WAC has Boise and Hawaii. After that there is a pretty steep drop for both leagues.

The thing about the MWC is that they've had BYU, TCU, and Utah reach the elite level while the MWC has only had Boise and Hawaii get there.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I like the Mid-west, but don't forget the MAC.

Ohio is coming on, Central AND Western Michigan, and Northern Illinois are all solid.

(admit it, you never saw that post coming did ya?)
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
I like the Mid-west, but don't forget the MAC.

Ohio is coming on, Central AND Western Michigan, and Northern Illinois are all solid.

(admit it, you never saw that post coming did ya?)
I think you mean Mountain West Mike.

The MAC has been down a little the last few years. Akron was a weak conference champ in 2005 and the upsets of BCS schools have started to dwindle.

Central Michigan plays at Kansas and at Purdue this year. They have a chance but it would be more likely if they had 'em at their own crib.

Western Michigan hosts Indiana in week #2. I actually like WMU in that one.

Northern Illinois lost Wolfe so expect a drop there.

Ohio U. plays at V Tech. They lost there 45-0 a few years back before Solich took over. I wouldn't expect anything closer than 40 points this time around.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I think you mean Mountain West Mike.

The MAC has been down a little the last few years. Akron was a weak conference champ in 2005 and the upsets of BCS schools have started to dwindle.

Central Michigan plays at Kansas and at Purdue this year. They have a chance but it would be more likely if they had 'em at their own crib.

Western Michigan hosts Indiana in week #2. I actually like WMU in that one.

Northern Illinois lost Wolfe so expect a drop there.

Ohio U. plays at V Tech. They lost there 45-0 a few years back before Solich took over. I wouldn't expect anything closer than 40 points this time around.
Mid-west, mountain west, I get all those yankee conferences mixed up.

(the preceding statement funded by tigereyes33)
Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Hey, how 'bout some props for the Sunbelt conference???:lol:
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
Hey, how 'bout some props for the Sunbelt conference???:lol:
:lol:

Sun Belt is horrible. Most years the Gateway (I-AA) gets a higher ranking from Sagarin as well as many other outlets.

mush's Troy operates in the Sun Belt. No wonder the conference stinks.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:

Sun Belt is horrible. Most years the Gateway (I-AA) gets a higher ranking from Sagarin as well as many other outlets.

mush's Troy operates in the Sun Belt. No wonder the conference stinks.

I know, I know...I was just joking...

Frankly it is highly embarassing that UF is playing not one but TWO Sunbelt teams this coming season. I would LOVE for them to play a Pac 10 or Big 12 team as an opener (Arizona State or Nebraska would be fun).
Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
I know, I know...I was just joking...

Frankly it is highly embarassing that UF is playing not one but TWO Sunbelt teams this coming season. I would LOVE for them to play a Pac 10 or Big 12 team as an opener (Arizona State or Nebraska would be fun).
You guys get Miami back on the schedule next year so having them and FSU for two years is pretty good for non-conf. You host Hawaii next year...which is solid. However, (gets out the dead horse to beat) it would be nice to see a few games against non-conf foes from outside the South. You don't even have to go elite. Play at Arizona State or play at Missouri or play at Iowa. Even returning the favor and playing at Hawaii where the Rainbows are tough would have been nice.

(looks down at the dead horse...)

I was looking at Ohio State's schedule and this is pretty impressive. If you include Texas of 2005 and 2006 and go all the way to 2015 and 2016 we will have played the following non-conf teams over the span of a decade...

Big Twelve
Texas: #1 in the Big Twelve in wins over the last 5 years
Oklahoma: #2

ACC
Miami: #1 in the ACC in wins over the last 5 years
V Tech: #2

PAC TEN
USC: #1 in the PAC Ten in wins over the last 5 years (#1 in the nation overall)
Cal: #2

Plus we have games at Wash. State and at Syracuse.

Oh yeah...talks are ongoing with Nebraska for a home and home too.

Just seeing that in print is amazing.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Yeah, I got my Phil Steele's 2007 College Football Review, and it shows that the top Eight toughest schedules all belong to Pac 10 schools:

1. Washington
2. USC
3. Wash St.
4. Arizona
5. UCLA
6. Stanford
7. Oregon St
8. California

9. Duke
10. Texas A&M

Notables:
Notre Dame: 12th
FSU: 14th
Miami: 19th
Florida: 21st
Ohio State: 35th
Michigan: 37th

This was just for 2007. I haven't researched as much as you have, but from what you've said it looks like OSU's schedule should move up the ranks of toughest over the next few years...
Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Yeah, I got my Phil Steele's 2007 College Football Review, and it shows that the top Eight toughest schedules all belong to Pac 10 schools:

1. Washington
2. USC
3. Wash St.
4. Arizona
5. UCLA
6. Stanford
7. Oregon St
8. California

9. Duke
10. Texas A&M

Notables:
Notre Dame: 12th
FSU: 14th
Miami: 19th
Florida: 21st
Ohio State: 35th
Michigan: 37th

This was just for 2007. I haven't researched as much as you have, but from what you've said it looks like OSU's schedule should move up the ranks of toughest over the next few years...
Well...those are the preseason schedules so it's based on what happened LAST YEAR and it includes the conference play.

The Pac Ten and Big Ten, namely USC and Michigan, have generally played the toughest non-conf schedules over the last 40 years based on my research. Notre Dame is up there too. I tend to give weight to travelling out of your region and playing against solid to elite teams.

Confused at Duke huh? :lol:

Let me look...

NON-CONF

UConn (4-8)
AT Northwestern (4-8)
AT Navy (9-4)
AT Notre Dame (10-3)

CONF

AT Virginia (5-7)
AT Miami (7-6)
Wake (11-3)
V Tech (10-3)
Clemson (8-5)
G Tech (9-5)
AT N.C. (3-9)
AT FSU (7-6)

Those are 3 tough road non-conf games. They do get Wake, V Tech, Clemson and G Tech at home.

Sounds tough...but yeah...#9?

Washington's schedules is brutal. They play at Cuse, host Boise, host Ohio State, and play USC, UCLA, Arizona State and Oregon State all in the first two months of the season. I doubt they score more than 14 points...forget winning one of those games.

This is Ohio State's down year as far as the schedule goes. It's good too considering how average we're gonna be.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 06-19-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

If Washington really wanted tough, they'd play @ Boise.

And Sue, UGA starts the home and home w/Az State next year. OK State is the season opener this year. To say I'm salivating to see these games would be an understatement.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
If Washington really wanted tough, they'd play @ Boise.

And Sue, UGA starts the home and home w/Az State next year. OK State is the season opener this year. To say I'm salivating to see these games would be an understatement.
LOL on UW and Boise.

I seem to recall a certain SEC team hosting Boise but not willing to return the favor.

Now who could that have been?

It's awesome to get the big non-conf games. I missed Texas but I'm all over the USC game in 2009. I'm probably gonna go to the one in L.A. next year for the hell of it.

It sucks cuz we go to L.A. next year but get Michigan and PSU at home. Our chances of ever going undefeated again are slim to none with the way we schedule...not that I'm complaining though. I only care about the conference records and the honor of playing these games (cough...SEC...). Then again, both Texas and Ohio State had undefeated regular seasons the past two years when playing each other on the road so ya never know.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Quote:
LOL on UW and Boise.

I seem to recall a certain SEC team hosting Boise but not willing to return the favor.

Now who could that have been?

Huh? What? What'd I miss???

Old 06-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Huh? What? What'd I miss???

LOL...go ahead and play dumb. Oh wait...you ain't playin'...

When you guys go to Arizona State next fall it will be your first game outside of the South since playing at Michigan in 1965. Much has changed in the outside world over the last 42 years Mike. What exactly are you guys doing to prepare for the changes?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #15
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Very funny old man.

Well, I'm hoping to get my fear of flying out of the way next week, but I doubt it. If I can get past that, I'm heading to AZ to see it, just to compare the atmosphere. It's an exciting time, at least for me. (I know a few homer fans who would rather see cupcakes lined up)

Truth be told, I'm ready for the OK State game. I think Athlon had em ranked around 30. They aren't a pushover by any stretch of the imagination. Upset city?