Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Weird...

Bob Knight's take on the Oklahoma-Oregon officiating fiasco...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5988202
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Selfish and petulant as always, thinking about the controversy as it applies to him.

"Had Oklahoma forfeited that game against us like I suggested, they would have gotten far more positive publicity out of that than if they had gone to the Final Four that year. Now I guess the 'duck' is swimming in the other pond."

For sure. I lie awake at night wondering what I can do to make life more fair for Bob Knight?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post

For sure. I lie awake at night wondering what I can do to make life more fair for Bob Knight?
Simple. Allow his players to play 5 on 3 ball. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. And make it legal to throw chairs onto the court. During gameplay.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

I am not a fan of his, but enjoyed the hypocracy of what he was pointing out.

Oklahoma's whining and requests would hold up more if and when they had a chance to correct a blatantly bad call that cost a visiting team a win and would have done what they wish Oregon would now do. Gotta work both ways, aye Mateys!

I know the extreme feeling on a bus ride home with the kids you coach after they have beem blatantly cheated out in a game by the home town refs. It was a football game and the cheating and bad calls were so bad I pulled my kids off the field and we left before the game was over. But not after I gave the other coach a piece of my mind for teaching his kids to punch, knee, and through illegal chop blocks. My kids was physcally getting beat to hell and coming off the field after each play bleeding from the mouth and elsewhere.

Revenge is sweet however. We beat the same team and coach for the baseball championship in the spring when I played the old switcheroo on them during the regular season a week before the playoffs. Put all my players at their wrong positions and didn't let them see my ace pitcher. They beat us by 15 runs that game and were shocked to hell when we creamed them and knocked them out of the playoffs in the first round a few days later on our way to the championship.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I can see how Knight's past overshadows the point but it would be interesting to see a school take the high road on a blatant miscarriage in a win that benefitted said school. Of course that kind of resonse doesn't take place in the real world...

The old adage of "Don't shoot the messenger", in this case, can be altered to "Don't let the messenger's rep take away from the message"....

& Bob...

I'm sure it's just probably my opinion but teaching your kids not to play thru the unfair officiating & instead dumping it at the other coach's feet as tho he was callin' the game misses the point of competition & it's wide range of lessons.

"Taking your ball & going home" doesn't get the message across IMO...
Old 09-22-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

& Bob...

I'm sure it's just probably my opinion but teaching your kids not to play thru the unfair officiating & instead dumping it at the other coach's feet as tho he was callin' the game misses the point of competition & it's wide range of lessons.

"Taking your ball & going home" doesn't get the message across IMO...

It sure did under those circumstances. My first obligation is to my kids safety. If we wanted to participate in a cage fight with boys that outweighed my kids by 50 lbs each, we would have stayed and fought.

You had to be there to know what went on. I was backed by every other coach in the league for my decision. The refs were all teachers of the school we were playing and blatantly participated in the cheating. I taught my kids not to swear or fight and what sportsmanship was. I wasn't going to let them get hospitalized by overzealous adults in a hick town who got a kick seeing their kids beat up others for fun.

Do you know what an illegal chop block is? Do you know what it can do to you for life when you are not even involved in a play and someone comes up from behind you trying to see if they can put you in the hospital? And it is obvious that those kids were not only taught how to masterly throw the chop block hooking thier knee behind someone elses as they do it, but were instructed to do it to everyone every chance they could and then laugh about it afterwards.

Like I said, I guess you had to be there.

Last edited by The Pirate Bob; 09-22-2006 at 01:36 AM.
The Pirate Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Tark is right. It would be interesting (better that interesting...it would be great, actually) to see a team take this high road and disavow a win when a blatantly bad call allowed it to happen. But it's slightly less magnanimous for Knight (or anyone, but especially Knight) to say "The team that should do that is the one that beat US." Knight's been coaching a long, long time, I'm sure he has benefitted from such calls.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-22-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I don't like the fact that Bobby Knight felt the need to open his mouth, when it is obvious that coaches like Knight have benefited from questionable calls in the past as well.

But I am even more disappointed in the reaction from the University of Oklahoma and their President David Boren for demanding that the game be eliminated from the record books and for demanding that the Pac-10 officials be suspended for the remainder of the season.

In a letter to the Big XII Conference Commissioner Kevin Weiberg, Boren said "To describe the lapses in accurate officiating at the Oklahoma-Oregon football game last Saturday as constituting an outrageous injustice is an understatement."

Of course, nobody from Oklahoma demanded that the game between the Sooners and UAB at the beginning of the season be eliminated from the record books because of a questionable call mid-way through the fourth quarter when it appeared Oklahoma fumbled the ball on a kick return, only to have the officiating crew rule in Oklahoma's favor.

And I don't remember David Boren demanding that the Big XII officiating crew involved in that ballgame be suspended for the rest of the season.

And why doesn't Boren tell his nimrod fans to quit calling the head official in the game who are telling the official that they are going to fly to Oregon and kill him and his wife?

And why don't we blame the fact that Oklahoma had the game-winning field goal blocked at the end of the game on the reason the Sooners lost on Saturday? Or, how about the fact that Oklahoma settled three other times in the ballgame for field goals. Did that cost them as well? And even after the two questionable calls, how come Oklahoma's defense couldn't come up with the needed stop, and how come the defensive unit isn't the ones to blame?

If the officials made the perfect call everytime, then I bet the receivers wouldn't drop passes, the running backs wouldn't fumble and kickers wouldn't miss field goals.

And now Oklahoma is saying they may back out of their 2008 road game at Washington because of the officiating crews in the Pac-10.

Give me a ****ing break!
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I'm on the fence of this. I agree that Boren is overreacting, and the statement, ""To describe the lapses in accurate officiating at the Oklahoma-Oregon football game last Saturday as constituting an outrageous injustice is an understatement." is so ridiculous it actually offends me. This is a football game. It's over, let's move on. And backing out of the UW gam is stupid.

But on the other hand, based on what I've read (too lazy to double-check), Boren has REQUESTED that the officials be suspended for the year and the game be wiped from the record books. If I'm recalling correctly, then Toby is spinning this by saying Boren is DEMANDING those thigs.

Secondly, here is the difference between THIS bad call and 99% of the other blatantly bad call we see, including the UAB/Oklahoma game cited by Toby above: THIS bad call happened at the end of the game.

That's a very important point (and one I keep making on my blog) when comparing this to other bad calls. If Oklahoma is rightly awarded possession of the onside kick, they do not need a first down to run out the clock. Oregon only had one timeout left, and this all went down with 1:05 to go.

Only one team in the history of football, that I am aware of, has managed to screw this up needing NO first downs (Giants-Eagles 1978).

As far as I'm concerned, we can take for granted Oklahoma therefore WOULD have won the game if this hadn't happened, whereas on the other cited bad calls, the screwed team COULD have won had the bad call not happened. It's a very important distinction, in my view. Because of it, I grant Oklahoma fans and supporters all the indignation they desire (although I certainly don't support eradicating the result).

Old 09-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
I'm on the fence of this. I agree that Boren is overreacting, and the statement, ""To describe the lapses in accurate officiating at the Oklahoma-Oregon football game last Saturday as constituting an outrageous injustice is an understatement." is so ridiculous it actually offends me. This is a football game. It's over, let's move on. And backing out of the UW gam is stupid.

But on the other hand, based on what I've read (too lazy to double-check), Boren has REQUESTED that the officials be suspended for the year and the game be wiped from the record books. If I'm recalling correctly, then Toby is spinning this by saying Boren is DEMANDING those thigs.
The Pac-10 openly apologized for the mistakes made by the officiating crew and handed that crew a one-game suspension. Oklahoma University President David Boren then decides to write a letter to Big XII Conference Commissioner Kevin Weiberg asking him to push for the Pac-10 to suspend the officiating crew for the rest of the season (even going as far as threatening the Pac-10 that if things aren't changed then they won't honor the home-and-home agreement that was already fulfilled on Washington's part) and for the Big XII to expunge the Sooners' loss from the record books.

It seems obvious to me that Boren didn't feel an appropriate punishment nor resolution has been decided upon, and is seeking much more of a result in favor of his institution by writing that letter to Weiberg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
Secondly, here is the difference between THIS bad call and 99% of the other blatantly bad call we see, including the UAB/Oklahoma game cited by Toby above: THIS bad call happened at the end of the game.

That's a very important point (and one I keep making on my blog) when comparing this to other bad calls. If Oklahoma is rightly awarded possession of the onside kick, they do not need a first down to run out the clock. Oregon only had one timeout left, and this all went down with 1:05 to go.

Only one team in the history of football, that I am aware of, has managed to screw this up needing NO first downs (Giants-Eagles 1978).

As far as I'm concerned, we can take for granted Oklahoma therefore WOULD have won the game if this hadn't happened, whereas on the other cited bad calls, the screwed team COULD have won had the bad call not happened. It's a very important distinction, in my view. Because of it, I grant Oklahoma fans and supporters all the indignation they desire (although I certainly don't support eradicating the result).
But if the Oklahoma fumble in the UAB game stands, and the inadvertent whistle hadn't blown, UAB would have tied the game up with 6:30 minutes to play. And you can't tell me that Oklahoma and UAB wouldn't have operated differently on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball had the game been tied with 6:30 minutes to play, instead of Oklahoma up by one (and please note that neither team scored following that point in the ballgame).

I don't understand why it is so easy to write off a questionable call with 6:30 minutes to go in a game, especially if that play changes the entire momentum of a game for a team that is playing on the road.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

Which word least belongs in this group:

goobers, hicks, ducks, rubes, oakies, yokels, bumpkins

I rest my case! Take it like men, Oakies. When life is unfair at times, don't fret about it. Instead, get up, brush yourself off, and play some better D.

I guess I just lost the Oklahoma vote!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'll grant that Oklahoma wins if the call had been made correctly.
But, so what?
A bad call cost them the game. Get over it. Let Boren and Stoops gripe Sunday and Monday, maybe, then get the hell on with the business of running a university and preparing for Saturday's game.

Justice, in this case, will be served if Mid Tenn State is able to shock the Sooners and totally, completely kill their season. all sympathies will be shown the door in serious ways.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
The Pac-10 openly apologized for the mistakes made by the officiating crew and handed that crew a one-game suspension. Oklahoma University President David Boren then decides to write a letter to Big XII Conference Commissioner Kevin Weiberg asking him to push for the Pac-10 to suspend the officiating crew for the rest of the season (even going as far as threatening the Pac-10 that if things aren't changed then they won't honor the home-and-home agreement that was already fulfilled on Washington's part) and for the Big XII to expunge the Sooners' loss from the record books.

It seems obvious to me that Boren didn't feel an appropriate punishment nor resolution has been decided upon, and is seeking much more of a result in favor of his institution by writing that letter to Weiberg.
Again, I am too lazy to look it up, but I think you have the order backwards. Boren issued his dicta pretty quickly, and I believe before the Pac 10 made their point.

But it's a moot point because we agree what Boren is asking for is absurd.

Quote:
But if the Oklahoma fumble in the UAB game stands, and the inadvertent whistle hadn't blown, UAB would have tied the game up with 6:30 minutes to play. And you can't tell me that Oklahoma and UAB wouldn't have operated differently on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball had the game been tied with 6:30 minutes to play, instead of Oklahoma up by one (and please note that neither team scored following that point in the ballgame).

I don't understand why it is so easy to write off a questionable call with 6:30 minutes to go in a game, especially if that play changes the entire momentum of a game for a team that is playing on the road.
Well that's just it. We don't know what would have happened if the call in the Oklahoma/UAB game had gone the other way. We *DO* know what would've happened if the OU-UO onside kick call went the other way - The Sooners would've taken a knee and run out the clock. That's what makes this game different than almost all the other games in the pantheon of bad calls.