Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #91
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

excerpt:

Kids can't have their cake ó or eat it
New Zealand school: Find another way to celebrate birthdays with class

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Children in a New Zealand school have been banned from bringing cakes to share on their birthdays, due to new government healthy eating guidelines.

Pupils at Oteha Valley primary school north of Auckland have been told they are allowed to celebrate their birthdays, but the cake must stay at home, the New Zealand Herald newspaper reported.

The Ministry of Education has been on a fat-busting crusade, introducing sweeping guidelines against unhealthy food in New Zealand schools.

Oteha Valley has a large number of pupils born in September and October, and there can be up to four cakes a week in some classes, principal Megan Bowden told the Herald.

A Ministry of Education spokesman told the Herald the government guidelines only applied to food sold on the premises, and schools did not need to monitor food brought in from outside.

So now Big Brother is our nutritionist...

Yep, those little pieces of cake can be a killer. The government just has to step in for our own good...again. What would we do without their expert 'guidance'?

WTF

The only thing missing is the actual chains around our ankles...

Well, I just hope they can find time from the 'fat-busting crusade' & start their 'Keep our noses out of our citizen's business crusade'...
Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #92
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

excerpt:

Toddlers can no longer get hitched in Arkansas
Law had mistakenly allowed anyone to marry with parental consent

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Arkansas' marriage-age crisis is over. A law that mistakenly allowed anyone — even toddlers — to marry with parental permission was repealed by a measure signed Wednesday by Gov. Mike Beebe, ending months of embarrassment for the state and confusion for county clerks.

Lawmakers didn't realize until after the end of last year's regular session that a law they approved, intended to establish 18 as the minimum age for marriage, instead removed the minimum age to marry entirely. An extraneous "not" in the bill allowed anyone who was not pregnant to marry at any age with permission.

The bill read: "In order for a person who is younger than eighteen (18) years of age and who is not pregnant to obtain a marriage license, the person must provide the county clerk with evidence of parental consent to the marriage."...

At least they caught that mistake before 2 kids stopped in with ice cream cones & a marriage certificate...

Last edited by Tarkus; 04-06-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #93
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

excerpt

Man with suicide victim's heart takes own life
He even married the donor's widow after the transplant 12 years ago

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - A man who received a heart transplant 12 years ago and later married the donor's widow died the same way the donor did, authorities said: of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

No foul play was suspected in 69-year-old Sonny Graham's death at his Vidalia, Ga., home, investigators said. He was found Tuesday in a utility building in his backyard with a single shotgun wound to the throat, said Greg Harvey, a special agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Graham, who was director of the Heritage golf tournament at Sea Pines from 1979 to 1983, was on the verge of congestive heart failure in 1995 when he got a call that a heart was available in Charleston.

That heart was from Terry Cottle, 33, who had shot himself, Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad said.

Grateful for his new heart, Graham began writing letters to the donor's family to thank them. In January 1997, Graham met his donor's widow, Cheryl Cottle, then 28, in Charleston.

"I felt like I had known her for years," Graham told The (Hilton Head) Island Packet for a story in 2006. "I couldn't keep my eyes off her. I just stared."

In 2001, Graham bought a home for Cottle and her four children in Vidalia. Three years later, they were married after Graham retired from his job as a plant manager for Hargray Communications in Hilton Head.

From their previous marriages, the couple had six children and six grandchildren scattered across South Carolina and Georgia.

Cheryl Graham, now 39, has worked at several hospices in Vidalia. A telephone message left Sunday at a listing for Cheryl and Sonny Graham in Vidalia was not immediately returned.

A WTF hmmmmm...

Now is this just an eerie scenario? Is it really the 'suicide' heart that did it? Hmmmm...

Or

Is the common denominator being her more than a coincidence? Another Black Widow perhaps? Hmmmm...

More if anything develops.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #94
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I want the heart of a Billionaire then.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #95
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

excerpt:

'Just terrible,' killer says of execution ruling
States want to move fast to set dates for convicts on death row

AUSTIN, Texas - The U.S. Supreme Court decision upholding lethal injection sent a shudder through death row Wednesday, and prosecutors and governors around the country said they would move forward with carrying out death sentences as quickly as the courts can set execution dates.

"Itís just terrible," said Paris Powell, a convicted killer at the Oklahoma State Prison in McAlester. He added: "Itís like the air has just been let out of a balloon. Thereís disbelief that the ruling came so quickly, but it goes further than just right now. Itís now official that the death penalty is here to stay forever, really."

The ruling came after what amounted to a seven-month moratorium on executions in the U.S., as states awaited a ruling from the high court. In the case from Kentucky, death penalty foes argued unsuccessfully that the widely used three-drug cocktail can cause excruciating pain in violation of the Constitutionís ban on cruel and unusual punishment. ...

In Texas, easily the No. 1 death penalty state, 40 condemned convicts who had all but exhausted their appeals had been awaiting the outcome of the case, said University of Houston law professor David Dow, who represents death row inmates. Texas has 357 inmates on death row.

In Florida, where a botched execution in 2006 may have caused an inmate extreme pain, Gov. Charlie Crist said he asked one of his lawyers to put together ďa very short listĒ of death warrants to consider signing. Florida has 338 inmates on death row.

Three-drug cocktail

The nationís last execution was Sept. 25, when a Texas inmate was put to death by injection for raping and shooting to death a mother of seven. The presiding judge of the stateís highest criminal court refused to keep the court open past 5 p.m. that day so that the condemned manís lawyers could file a late appeal that would have spared his life at least until the Supreme Court decided the Kentucky case.

Moral to the story? Don't F around in Texas if you have future plans.

Nothing wrong with paying this debt paid in full & being square with the House...

Since capital punishment was reinstated in 1976, Texas has executed 405 inmates, more than any other state. Virginia is second with 99.

It was in Oklahoma that the three-drug lethal cocktail was invented 31 years ago. Death row inmates in the bunker-like H-unit at the 100-year-old Oklahoma State Prison talk about the possibility of a painfully botched execution, Powell told The Associated Press.

Awwww, that would be a shame, wouldn't it? How about the pain of the victims? Were they given a choice or a possible stay of execution from the Governor?

Quit your b-itchin' & get in line...

ďEverybody has heard horror stories. Iíve heard them myself, but how can you confirm them?Ē he asked. ďIíve never seen anybody walk through that door upstairs ever come back.Ē

I hope your impending doom/pain & suffering is at least a fraction of what the victims felt...

Old 04-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #96
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

TOKYO, April 17 (Reuters) - A Japanese high school pleaded for a regional game to be abandoned after surrendering 66 runs in less than two innings, local media reported on Thursday.

The coach of Kawamoto technical high school threw in the towel to spare his pitcher’s arm with his team losing 66-0 with just one batter out in the bottom of the second.

The hapless hurler had already sent down over 250 pitches, allowing 26 runs in the first inning and 40 in the second before Kawamoto asked for mercy.

“At that pace the pitcher would have thrown around 500 pitches in four innings,” Kawamoto’s coach was quoted as saying. “There was a danger he could get injured.”

Opponents Shunshukan were officially credited with a 9-0 victory, giving the scoreline a tinge of respectability for the luckless Kawamoto school. (Writing by Alastair Himmer; Editing by Justin Palmer)

Did they not have anyone else who could pitch that day? I don't get it, shouldn't the coach gone out there and brought in someone else after the kid had given up the first six or seven runs or so in the first inning?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #97
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

What's the kids ERA.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #98
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

Word is, the Tigers are looking to sign the pitcher to bolster their rotation.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #99
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3354056

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- A minor league baseball team has dropped plans to hold a welcome party for Michael Vick.

The Kansas City T-Bones of the Northern League had planned to have a Michael Vick "Welcome to the Neighborhood" night May 28, complete with prison uniforms, spotlights and escape sirens. Other events promoting caring for animals also were planned.

Vick, the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback, is serving a 23-month sentence at the U.S. Penitentiary in nearby Leavenworth after pleading guilty to federal charges related to dogfighting.

After receiving complaints about the promotion, the club announced Friday that it will drop the Vick-related events and will focus only on events that promote animal safety and adoptions.

"It was not our intent to be culturally insensitive," T-Bones general manager Rick Muntean said. "We simply wanted to raise awareness for what we think are great causes.

"We recognize that the health and well-being of animals is a widely-supported cause of our fan base, so we're going to keep that our only focus."

The night will include a dog parade, pregame dog adoptions and entertainment by Rockin' Ray and the Sky Dogs.

I swear minor league teams will do anything to get a little pubilcity. But that is one of the things that makes minor league baseball so great. I mean where else can you get 2 tickets for the price of one if you show up with grocery store discount card or get free parking because you drive the official vehicle of the team?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #100
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Stuck in an Elevator For 41 Hrs

It was longest cigarette break of Nicholas White's life.

The 34-year-old New York production manager was working late one Friday night in October when he went outside for a smoke.
A man survives the harrowing ordeal of being in an elevator for nearly two days.

He was returning to his office on the 39th floor when the elevator stopped abruptly between floors. White pressed the alarm, letting it ring and ring. But at 11 p.m. the building was deserted, and it would be nearly two days before White was rescued.

He paced around the elevator like a bug trapped in a box, fighting claustrophobia every minute of his 41-hour ordeal, which was captured on a video surveillance camera.

"After a certain amount of time I knew I was in big trouble," White told "Good Morning America" in an exclusive interview.

He had no watch, no cell phone, no food or water. His only sustenance was a pack of Rolaids.

"Rolaids aren't a very good meal," White said.

The the most difficult part of the ordeal, he said, was going 41 hours without water. At one point, White thought he might die of dehydration.

He relieved himself by opening the elevator doors a bit and urinating down the elevator shaft.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #101
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Salt in the wounds...

excerpt:

Report: Dentist suing Bulls over mascot mishap

The Chicago Bulls have had their fair share of problems this season. Now even the team's mascot is in hot water.

A Chicago-area dentist is suing the team...

According to the lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court, Barry Anderson, who portrays the Bulls' mascot, grabbed the arm of Dr. Don Kalant Sr. as he fell, hyperextending the doctor's arm and rupturing his biceps muscle, the newspaper reported.

"Benny's flying down the aisle, giving everybody high-fives," Kalant's attorney, Shawn Kasserman, told the Tribune. "When he gets to Dr. Kalant, he either inadvertently trips or, as part of the shtick, trips. ... He grabbed Kalant's arm and fell forward."

Kalant later had surgery on his arm, and could miss up to four weeks of work as a result of the injuries, his lawyer claims. Kalant is seeking unspecified damages for medical bills, physical pain and lost earnings.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #102
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
excerpt

Man with suicide victim's heart takes own life
He even married the donor's widow after the transplant 12 years ago

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - A man who received a heart transplant 12 years ago and later married the donor's widow died the same way the donor did, authorities said: of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

No foul play was suspected in 69-year-old Sonny Graham's death at his Vidalia, Ga., home, investigators said. He was found Tuesday in a utility building in his backyard with a single shotgun wound to the throat, said Greg Harvey, a special agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Graham, who was director of the Heritage golf tournament at Sea Pines from 1979 to 1983, was on the verge of congestive heart failure in 1995 when he got a call that a heart was available in Charleston.

That heart was from Terry Cottle, 33, who had shot himself, Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad said.

Grateful for his new heart, Graham began writing letters to the donor's family to thank them. In January 1997, Graham met his donor's widow, Cheryl Cottle, then 28, in Charleston.

"I felt like I had known her for years," Graham told The (Hilton Head) Island Packet for a story in 2006. "I couldn't keep my eyes off her. I just stared."

In 2001, Graham bought a home for Cottle and her four children in Vidalia. Three years later, they were married after Graham retired from his job as a plant manager for Hargray Communications in Hilton Head.

From their previous marriages, the couple had six children and six grandchildren scattered across South Carolina and Georgia.

Cheryl Graham, now 39, has worked at several hospices in Vidalia. A telephone message left Sunday at a listing for Cheryl and Sonny Graham in Vidalia was not immediately returned.

A WTF hmmmmm...

Now is this just an eerie scenario? Is it really the 'suicide' heart that did it? Hmmmm...

Or

Is the common denominator being her more than a coincidence? Another Black Widow perhaps? Hmmmm...

More if anything develops.

Just noticed this. Vidalia is about 30 minutes away. And my last name is Graham as well. Sort of freaky.

And mental illness does run in the family, sooooooo...... (yes, before you can say it, that explains a lot)
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #103
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

:lol:, Mike

Maybe you should hold off any more confessions till I start Father Tarkus's Confessional Thread.

excerpt:

Police: Woman lived with mummified sister
Mentally-ill sibling thought to have kept body in kitchen for up to 3 years

DETROIT - The partially mummified body of an elderly woman has been found on the kitchen floor of a house where her mentally troubled sister was living, police said.

Investigators believe the surviving sister had been living with the body for up to three years. They say the body was partially covered with newspapers and that a cat and dog apparently ate part of it.

The Detroit Free Press says authorities removed the surviving sister Wednesday night and took her to a crisis center. She is also aged in her 80s and appears to have mental problems.

Reporter #2 to Reporter #1:

So...what first brought you to the conclusion that she appears to have mental problems?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #104
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

excerpt:

2 NYC men cleared in corpse check scam
Cops said the pair wheeled a dead friend to the store to cash his check

NEW YORK - Two New York City men won't face charges for wheeling a dead friend to a store to cash his Social Security check.

They said they didn't know he was dead when they left for the store, and prosecutors can't say exactly when he died.

David J. Dalaia and James O'Hare had been charged with forgery, criminal possession of a forged instrument, attempted larceny and improper disposal of a body. Charges were dismissed Tuesday.

They had pushed Virgilio Cintron's body from the Manhattan apartment that O'Hare and Cintron shared to Pay-O-Matic, about a block away, a police spokesman said in January.

The men left Cintron's body outside the store, went inside and tried to cash his $355 check, the spokesman said. A police detective saw a crowd forming and intervened.

Cintron's body was taken to a hospital morgue. The medical examiner's office told police it appeared Cintron, 66, had died of natural causes within the previous 24 hours, the spokesman said.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #105
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

excerpt:

Stars, Bars and Skin
A congressman cracks down on soft porn at the PX.

You know something's wrong when the word areola appears in a bill circulating on Capitol Hill.

Republican Congressman Paul Broun, the representative from Georgia's 10th District, wants to stop the sale of Playboy and Penthouse at military bases around the world, invoking an argument that at the very least is scientifically questionable: that consuming even soft pornography makes men more prone to committing sex crimes. A doctor by profession, Broun says he began drafting the bill after a constituent described her distress at having watched, along with her young children, an officer buy a nudie magazine at a military exchange store. "The military teaches to respect officers, and her little kids were seeing this military officer Ö there in uniform, buying pornography at the PX," Broun told NEWSWEEK.

Congress already has a law from 1996 banning the sale of "sexually explicit" material on military bases. But deciding what qualifies as sexually explicit was left to a Department of Defense review board, which gathers periodically to examine a range of magazines and DVDs. In its review two years ago the board banned such titles as Bootylicious and Juggs but decided that Penthouse has enough nonsexual content to be acceptable (Playboy had already been allowed). Lt. Col. Les Melnyk, a Pentagon spokesman, said the board members are kept anonymous in order not to expose them to outside pressure but have included active, reserve and retired members of the military, military spouses, members of dual-military couples and DoD civilians. "The board is very disciplined in adhering to the definitions described in the Instruction [from Congress], and has access to legal counsel to assist members in interpreting the law and the Instruction," Melnyk said in an e-mail.

Broun, who is 61, wants to take away the board's discretion by inserting into the old law some new language delineating terms like "sexually explicit." His bill gets (readers be warned) blush-inducingly specific. It defines nudity, for instance, as the display of "human genitals, pubic area, anus, anal cleft, or any part of the female breast below a horizontal line across the top of the areola."

Even for people who support the congressman from Georgia (he has attracted 16 co-sponsors since introducing the bill April 16), it must be hard not to conclude that he's fighting yesterday's war. Judd Anstey, the public relations manager for the Army & Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES), says the combined sales of Playboy and Penthouse at bases around the world last year amounted to less than 3 percent of AAFES's total magazine sales....

Broun says the point is pornography shouldn't be subsidized by taxpayers. And he insists nudie magazines have taken a toll on the armed services. "Sexual assault is going up within the military, and I certainly think there's a very high likelihood the pornography being sold in military PXs is contributing to that," he says. Both points are off the mark. Anstey says 98 percent of AAFES's budget comes from income generated at its storesónot from the government. And most studies have shown no link between the kind of pictures featured in Playboy and sexual violence.

Where a link does often exist is between a politician's rising rhetoric and his quest for re-election. Broun has been in Congress since last year, when he was elected to replace the 10th District representative, who died of cancer. This July he faces a primary vote against a conservative member of the state's House of Representatives, Barry Fleming, in a district Broun describes as very Republican.