Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Dunno what the Foulcons were thinking trading up to get Baker. Would have been a fine pick in the 2nd round, but to trade away picks to move up to 21 to get him, this reeks of the trade they made a few years back to get Michael Jenkins, and that turned out wonderful. (yeah, that's sarcasm)

They could have stayed in the second round with there three picks and came away w/a DT and CB, there 2 biggest needs after QB, then go for a OL w/their 3 picks in the 3rd.

Dimitroff isn't endearing himself so far. Hopefully these guys work out.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

So far I'm iffy on the Bucs draft. I wish they would have went after Mike Jenkins instead of Aqib Talib. But hey what do I know?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Baker would have been a top 10 pick if he had come out last year but trading up to get him at 21 is a bit of a reach. But, if you think he can play LT at the NFL level they need to take him since it is a need for the Falcons. Ryan is no Vick when it comes to scrambling around the Falcons need to sure up their pass blocking for Ryan or else he will be on the shelf halfway through the year.

Mush, Talib is a bit bigger and stronger than Jenkins and has a clean personnel record whereas Jenkins has an arrest and suspension on his.

What happened to Andre' Woodson? He was considered a potential first round pick a few months ago and he is still on the board in the middle of the 4th round. There was a time when it was being speculated that the Bears or Panthers might spend a first round pick on him.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:15 AM   #19
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

For the most part, I was impressed with the Packers draft, especially at QB. After getting Brohm and Flynn, they will have depth and youth behind A-Rod.

Not sure how Brohm fell as far as he did in the 2nd and Flynn fell to the 7th. I guess I was more impressed than most.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:40 AM   #20
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
Dunno what the Foulcons were thinking trading up to get Baker. Would have been a fine pick in the 2nd round, but to trade away picks to move up to 21 to get him, this reeks of the trade they made a few years back to get Michael Jenkins, and that turned out wonderful. (yeah, that's sarcasm)
Rumor was the Texans were gonna take Baker with the 26th pick. I love this guy. He was awesome the whole time at SC and played injured last year.

Grades and **** be damned. How can you not love Sam Baker?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dgefGxYwMSI

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #21
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Brohm fell in part due to Louisville not living up to the preseason hype. They were supposed to win at least 9/10 games and compete for the Big East title, not barely qualify for a bowl game. As it typically goes the QB takes the hit whether it was truly his fault or not. He also did not close the season out particularly well throwing 7 TDs and 8 picks over his last five games when UL was playing the toughest stretch of the schedule. Also, when it got right down to it a lot of teams in the market for a QB had bigger needs and knew they could get a guy who projects as a solid starter in the 2nd or 3rd round. I am sure a lot of teams were also scared off by his inability to stay healthy. Of his 3 years as the starter his senior season was the only one where he did not miss significant playing time due to an injury.

Drafting Brohm may put to rest any delusions Favre may have had about the Packers coaxing him out of retirement if Rodgers gets hurt.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #22
themush
Banned

Detroit got an absolute GIFT with Kevin Smith in Rd 3...He is going to be an animal
Old 04-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #23
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know, the two things that would concern me about Smith is that he is not exceptionally quick nor does he have elite top end speed and the dude had 474 touches on offense last year which had to take a toll on his body. NFL backs who touch the ball 400+ times in a season tend to go downhill after that, so it will be interesting to see how well he holds up next year.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #24
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

DeSean Jackson is the man! I'm expecting a lot from him - at least the kind of production that Donte' Stallworth had with the Eagles two years ago.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #25
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
DeSean Jackson is the man! I'm expecting a lot from him - at least the kind of production that Donte' Stallworth had with the Eagles two years ago.
Careful of the injury bug with him though. And also with the suit and shades he was wearing at draft time he might be a bit of a prima donna.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #26
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Mush, in Anthony's mind as long as the guy runs a 4.35 in the 40 he is going to be a great receiver. The big difference between Jackson and Stallworth though is that Stallworth has about 30-35 pounds and about 3 inches in height on Jackson. Ultimately you have to ask yourself why it is that Jackson went from being a top 10 prospect at the beginning of the year to being taken in the middle of the 2nd round. He got exposed a bit as a guy who can get pushed around and is not the most disciplined route runner and probably dropped a few more passes than he should have. I am afraid he is closer to Ted Ginn Jr. than he is Donte Stallworth.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #27
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Foulcons still didn't get a DT, their biggest need. If there was no intent on getting one in the draft, why was Dorsey even considered?
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #28
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Mush, in Anthony's mind as long as the guy runs a 4.35 in the 40 he is going to be a great receiver. The big difference between Jackson and Stallworth though is that Stallworth has about 30-35 pounds and about 3 inches in height on Jackson. Ultimately you have to ask yourself why it is that Jackson went from being a top 10 prospect at the beginning of the year to being taken in the middle of the 2nd round. He got exposed a bit as a guy who can get pushed around and is not the most disciplined route runner and probably dropped a few more passes than he should have. I am afraid he is closer to Ted Ginn Jr. than he is Donte Stallworth.

DeSean Jackson and Donte' Stallworth are the same height - 6'0" - and remember that since Jackson is only 21 years old, he has every right to fill out naturally from his current weight of 178 lbs. In two or three years he'll probably be playing at closer to 190, even if no intentional steps are taken to bulk him up.

And does being smaller make a player more vulnerable to the specific injury that hampered Jackson in 2007 - a severely sprained thumb? So far as the dropped-passes thing goes: If you want a receiver who will never drop a pass or "hear footsteps" (another knock on Jackson in some of the scouting reports I've seen) or be accused of heading upfield before he actually catches the ball, you need to look for someone like Drew Bennett, Joe Jurevicius or Wes Welker, if you get where I'm coming from.

Last edited by Anthony; 04-29-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #29
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I have seen Jackson listed as small as 5' 9 3/4" and according to the Inquirer he measured in at 5' 10"/169 at the combine: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...n_Jackson.html

Jackson himself even admits that he is about 5' 10" in this ESPN story about him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=3290164

Quote:
Survival skills will come in handy for Jackson, who's undersized by most conventional measures of a receiver. Jackson acknowledges he's about 5-foot-10 and 169 pounds -- not the 6-footer he claimed to be at Cal.

"Yeah, that was in shoes," he laughed.
Which leads me to believe that his draft stock slipped when teams found out he really was not 6 feet tall.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane

The Irish is on a distinguished road

Why, oh why, did the Rams make Donny Avery the first reciever taken in draft? There were better recievers there. Limas Sweed, Early Doucet, DeSean Jackson to name a few. Well at least we got Chris Long, even though we needed Jake Long. Damn Dolphins.

Brian Brohm was a victim of picky scouts. They saw that his team didn't do so well so they nit-picked his game, and found every possible thing wrong with him. All I gotta say is: Good luck with Flacco Baltimore. In a few years when Brohm is a star, and Flacco is floundering y'all gonna be wondering why you let Brohm pass by.

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote