Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Calipari to Kentucky? YES, LORD, YES!!!

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

I have been refreshing Kentucky message boards all day with feverish anticipation. After Gillispie was fired (good move), I was hot for Donovan, but his situation is too comfy in Florida. Calipari is our MAN! I hope I don't jinx this, but it seems imminent. For one, Calipari wants the challenge and to be competing in the SEC (vs. crappy C-USA), and even more, to battle arch-rival Rick Pitino in-state. How awesome is this rivalry going to be now?!

As a Kentucky fan, Calipari is the perfect fit. Proven and can handle all the duties that come with being the UK coach, something Billy G couldn't. He is an ace recruiter and has potentially THREE of the top-10 recruits in the nation committed, all of which could follow him to Kentucky. This is like a dream coming true: not only do we get Coach Cal, but he is bringing a team of superstars with him. WOW!!!

Kentucky fans already have a new name for the student section in Rupp, formerly the eRUPPtion Zone: the CalZONE!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
ghostofSC
All-Star Player

ghostofSC is on a distinguished road

This is likely just a small hiccup in the orgasmic parade you have going here, but one or two of those recruits have signed an LOI with Memphis, which means they're committed to Memphis. The school can let them out of their contract, but it's likely if they do let them out, it will be with the stipulation that they can't go to Kentucky.
ghostofSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't get frantic just yet. He could be using Kentucky to get more money out of Memphis the same way he did NC State a few years back. Though I suspect he has a much stronger interest in Kentucky because they will be willing to look the other way when he recruits kids who can barely read or write to play in Lexington whereas NC State was not willing to bend on that for him.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Gillispie was fired (good move)
Not to derail discussions on Calipari, but as a Kentucky fan, I am interested in why you thought canning Gillispie after two seasons was a good move?

I have never been a huge John Calipari fan. The guy is loaded with baggage, and although he might be an ace recruiter, I never saw him as a good game manager or someone who made the necessary steps towards dramatically improving the flaws in his teams from the start of the year to the end. 70+ wins in the last two seasons, though, cannot be disputed.

Should Calipari make the leap, I will be interested in seeing if Memphis can secure Mike Anderson, who deserves a lot of credit for making the Missouri Tigers a contender in the post-Quinn Snyder era.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
I have never been a huge John Calipari fan. The guy is loaded with baggage, and although he might be an ace recruiter, I never saw him as a good game manager or someone who made the necessary steps towards dramatically improving the flaws in his teams from the start of the year to the end. 70+ wins in the last two seasons, though, cannot be disputed.
I am not a huge Calipari guy either. There is just something about him when I see him on TV that makes my skin crawl.

Yes, Calipari is an ace recruiter but I am not convinced he can run with the big dogs in a big boy conference. He has only ever had success coaching in second tier conferences. But, then again, I think Roy Williams is a far better recruiter than he is coach so maybe he can do it.

Quote:
Should Calipari make the leap, I will be interested in seeing if Memphis can secure Mike Anderson, who deserves a lot of credit for making the Missouri Tigers a contender in the post-Quinn Snyder era.
I heard on the radio earlier today that Georgia is reportedly making a run at Anderson which would be on odd choice seeing as I don't really see Georgia being a step up from Missouri.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
I heard on the radio earlier today that Georgia is reportedly making a run at Anderson which would be on odd choice seeing as I don't really see Georgia being a step up from Missouri.
I think Missouri will find money somewhere to lock Mike Anderson up long term before he can even start fielding offers from other schools. I can't foresee Missouri letting Anderson head elsewhere without putting up a stern fight.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
Not to derail discussions on Calipari, but as a Kentucky fan, I am interested in why you thought canning Gillispie after two seasons was a good move?

Live feed of Calipari's house and the door to his office on campus: http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/generic/.../Live_Stream_1

Thousands of fans have been watching it frantically for hours. Helicopters are circling the area, the police have blocked off the road near his house. It's crazy! But while not official, this is a done deal. He's coming to Lexington. He called former UK coach Joe B. Hall already, and has been lobbying to get former Memphis assistant and current UTEP coach the head job at Memphis. Ironically, Gillispie used to coach UTEP and that might become vacant, so it all could come full circle.

Gillispie had to go for the reasons UK said. He wasn't a fit for the position. In addition to having a lackluster record, his personality isn't suited for the spotlight of the job. He didn't relish in being an "ambassador" and celebrity and had a bad relationship with the media. There are also reports of abuse of players; he tried to kick Jodie Meeks off the team several times for being "selfish," including his 54-point night. Calipari is the right man to handle it all, just like Pitino was.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Calipari had the press conference at UK and knocked the socks off it. He's the perfect fit and I'm ecstatic he's the coach. He said, "I'm here to recruit the best of the best." I think UK will right up there with UNC dominating very shortly.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
ghostofSC
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Calipari had the press conference at UK and knocked the socks off it. He's the perfect fit and I'm ecstatic he's the coach. He said, "I'm here to recruit the best of the best." I think UK will right up there with UNC dominating very shortly.
I'd say a more comparable school right now would be uconn. Kentucky will dominate in a year or two. It'll also be on probation by 2015 for recruiting violations.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey Marc,

Congrats on your new coach! It has been somewhat gloomy around here for around a week now. We had fools who probably were ready to jump off buildings over him leaving. It was absolutely sickening.

So many now hate the guys guts now, but they were the same ones that worshipped the ground he walked on when he was winning for us.

I must say he did an excellent job here, but IMO he could not walk on water as some seem to think. I won't say I wish him well because he gutted our program on the way out the door, but I won't wish him failure either.

I will just wait on you guys to do what you do. He will not have the lovefest with you guys that he had here. He is not a good bench coach so he lost a few games we should have won including the title game. While we overlooked that because the intoxication of even being there, you guys will lambaste him for every bad move.

Fair warning to you and all KY fans: the guy is a salesman and a smooth talker, but after a while the smooth talk will wear off on you and you maybe dissappointed. Those folksy stories he told at the presser yesterday were all ones that we have heard multiple times, and he delivered him just as smoothly as always.

He will recruit big for you, he will lose you games because of his inability/unwillingness to make in game adjustments. My advice is for you guys to ignore the smooth talk and hold him accountable for his screw ups. If you guys ride him when he messes up you will return to glory soon. If you let him smooth talk you and skate by you will go the Gillespe route again.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Good to hear from you, tray. Come around more often! I appreciate your insight on Cal and can't dispute any of it. All I can say is he is similar to Pitino, who was tremendously successful at UK, so Cal fits the mold. I am looking forward to the in-state rivalry between these two. It could get ugly, and I can't wait. BTW, you can't blame Cal for his recruits de-committing. I do feel bad for Memphis because it guts the program, but you can't blame a guy for going to a major conference and taking over a program with the pedigree of Kentucky. Cal will be crazy successful in Lexington, I guarantee it.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good to hear from you, tray. Come around more often! I appreciate your insight on Cal and can't dispute any of it. All I can say is he is similar to Pitino, who was tremendously successful at UK, so Cal fits the mold. I am looking forward to the in-state rivalry between these two. It could get ugly, and I can't wait. BTW, you can't blame Cal for his recruits de-committing. I do feel bad for Memphis because it guts the program, but you can't blame a guy for going to a major conference and taking over a program with the pedigree of Kentucky. Cal will be crazy successful in Lexington, I guarantee it.
Nah. Cant blame him for it at all as far as the recruits.

Problem is "rumor" has it that he was actively recruiting for you guys while he was still here and also working on current players attempting to convince them to leave as well.

Strangely enough Bruce Pearl went there on PTI today.

Anyways Cal will only be sucessful at KY if you guys as a fan base hold his feet to the fire as I assume you would.

I don't think it will be a matter of him making your program successful nearly as much as you guys will make him have to be a better coach
until I'm Tiger dead

Last edited by trayhezy; 04-03-2009 at 10:26 PM.
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I thought it was kind of interesting how at the press conference he was warning everyone not to expect a whole lot for the first couple of years anyway. Almost as if saying I need a couple of years of on the job training to figure out how to coach with the big boys.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I thought it was kind of interesting how at the press conference he was warning everyone not to expect a whole lot for the first couple of years anyway. Almost as if saying I need a couple of years of on the job training to figure out how to coach with the big boys.
Oh no way, Cal is savvy and proven and sure as hell doesn't need on-the-job training, I hope you were joking. He's just trying to keep expectations from getting out of control, I don't blame him...

tray, Pearl is an obnoxious scumbag, of course he's going to hate on Kentucky and make accusations about Cal's recruiting. He's just scared sh#tless about how UK is going to make UT their b*tches again.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
ghostofSC
All-Star Player

Quote:
Oh no way, Cal is savvy and proven and sure as hell doesn't need on-the-job training, I hope you were joking. He's just trying to keep expectations from getting out of control, I don't blame him...
because, apparently, if you don't make the NCAA Tournament, you get fired. it's been sweet seeing Kentucky relegated to the after-rans in college basketball for a year. you would have thought it might have humbled the fan base, but it seems like, if anything, they're even more douchey now than they were before they ran off NCAA Championship winning coach, Tubby Smith.