Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #91
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Arkansas got one of the top QB prospects to commit in the name of Mitch Mustain. Not surprizing because he lives 20 mins from campus. After the Razorbacks went 4-7, Mustain reconsidered his committment. Then after Arkansas hired Mustain's HS coach to be thier OC, Mustain decided once again to commit. Kinda shady if you ask me.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #92
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

If the kid is that good, and the coach is competent, it is a good move for the Razorbacks. Time will tell.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #93
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I'm not surprised that he re-verballed to Arkansas. Despite Tennessee and South Carolina being mentioned, I think the only other school he was considering is Notre Dame. I think I saw somewhere recently that they had cooled off on him and that probably helped make up his mind to stay home and go to Arkansas. He's a top flight in-state QB for a team that is beloved by almost all Arkansas football fans. If he lives up to the hype, he'll be a legend.

After landing Darren McFadden last season and Mustain this season, Arkansas is quietly rebuilding. I don't know if they're ready to be the championship-caliber Razorback teams of the '60's, but they could contend for the SEC West in a couple of seasons.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #94
themush
Banned

I certainly am not complaining about Florida avoiding them for the next two years.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #95
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I heard on a local recruiting show today that Brent Sheaffer is due to announce his decision Friday at 6 and that Ole Miss and NC State appear to be the favorites with Wisconsin in third.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #96
Alex
#1 Student Section

J.B. Walton, a four-star guard from Indian Head, Maryland, verballed to Penn State last night. He becomes PSU's 10th four-star recruit, including the fourth from Maryland as PSU continues to pillage the bordering state for talent.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #97
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

There's a rumor (geez, isn't all recruiting news rumors) that QB Pat Devlin (Miami commit) and WR Vidal Hazelton (SC commit) are considering Penn State. Devlin is the #4 QB and Hazelton #2 WR in the country.

Sam Young, a five-star OL, should pick Notre Dame over USC tomorrow. SC should gain a couple recruits tomorrow, notably five-star RB/CB CJ Gable.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #98
Alex
#1 Student Section

Here's what I have gathered from all of this:

Devlin is upset about some of the firings that went down at Miami. I think his family (I believe at least one of his parents is a PSU alum) has been in his ear about how he should stay close to home. Devlin also seemed to have the attitude, at least early on, that he wanted to see PSU succeed on the field before considering them. Then came some sort of "falling out" between Devlin and PSU and he soon after verballed to Miami. Now that he has seen Miami have a rather poor showing in the ACC capped by the Peach Bowl embarassment and the fact that Kyle Wright still has 2-3 (I can't remember), he may have seen the writing on the wall, especially considering that at PSU he could redshirt in 2006, back up Morelli in 2007 and then step in as the starter in 2008. It's an ideal situation for Devlin. However, Virginia, one of what was supposedly among his original finalists, is back in the picture as well.

Hazleton said it was very close between USC and PSU. When he verballed to USC, I believe he said that the city atmosphere and having Snoop Dogg, etc. hanging around pushed him to choose the Trojans. Perhaps now that the novelty of the official visit has worn off, as well as the plethora of talent already at USC, he is re-considering.

Here's what I think-
Devlin will choose PSU. This will end up like the situation with Anthony Morelli and Pitt a couple of years ago. Morelli was a Pitt verbal, then re-opened his recruiting late, and chose PSU. I see the same happening for Devlin.

Hazleton will stay with USC. I think there is a lot less substance to that rumor than the Devlin one.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #99
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

Iowa recevied a commitment from 3*** QB Arvell Nelson yesterday... Big pick up as far as im concerned for my Hawkeyes.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #100
themush
Banned

Gators got 4* LB A.J. Jones to commit today.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:45 AM   #101
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Penn State is doing its thing. They picked up Devlin from Miami. And OL Logan-El decommitted from Maryland to join the Nittany Lions. There's still talk that they may get Hazelton, but it seems doubtful.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #102
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
Penn State is doing its thing. They picked up Devlin from Miami. And OL Logan-El decommitted from Maryland to join the Nittany Lions. There's still talk that they may get Hazelton, but it seems doubtful.
Supposedly, Devlin and Hazelton are pretty close. At this point, anything can happen. One thing working in USC's favor is that Hazelton will be prepping at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia and the coaches typically encourage their players to honor their verbal commitment. PSU was after Jared Gaither last season, who was prepping at Hargrave, and he ended up keeping his verbal to Maryland.

PSU also picked up blue-chip DT Phillip Taylor yesterday. Also announced, State College has annexed Maryland. :lol:
Old 01-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #103
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Excellent, Penn State has been one of the top recruiting teams thus far.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #104
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Just reading some things about the Logan-El situation. If it's all true, that's a sad indicator about the kid's character.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #105
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
Just reading some things about the Logan-El situation. If it's all true, that's a sad indicator about the kid's character.
Care to share? Yeah, his announcement was a bit odd, to say the least, but he doesn't seem to have any major character flaws. And if he does, he won't see much playing time in Happy Valley. Everybody, from Derrick Williams to Dan Corrado, checks their ego at the door.