Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 04-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default NBA Playoffs Thread

Celts are toast with K.G.'s knee. I am surprised it hasn't gotten better, I thought he would be fine and rested, but healing takes longer with an aging guy with all those miles on him...

It's going to be Cavs vs Lakers, Kobe vs. LeBron, exactly what the league wants...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Wow...no posts in the playoff thread? Anyone watching? I caught some of the Lakers/Jazz game 1 the other night and LA looks tough again. And Cleveland. I could definitely see Marc's LA/CLE prediction come true.

I wish I had a team to root for...3 straight years without the Pacers present. Though, with the way they progressed as a team this year, I don't see their return too far off...

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

I am watching the playoffs quite a bit, Pistons/Cavs right now. This one was over before it began and it's sad to see my Pistons a shadow of their former selves.

Dallas' Erik Dampier is frustrated at Tony Parker getting into the lane and scoring and basically put a bounty on him in Game 2, saying next time he comes into the lane, he's putting Parker on his butt. This is stupid of Dampier and I wouldn't be surprised to see a fine if he follows through.

Bulls/Celtics is going to be more hard-fought than people thought with the Celts now losing Leon Powe. Celtics aren't going anywhere past the second round, at best, without K.G...

Meanwhile, there's controversy in Orlando with a bench guy, a 6'11" European whose name I forget, agreed with Shaq that Stan Van Gundy is panicker and it's not good for the team. With Dwight Howard also criticizing Van Gundy in the past, he could be in trouble if Orlando folds early...

Lakers and Cavs are clearly on a collision path.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I am watching the playoffs quite a bit, Pistons/Cavs right now. This one was over before it began and it's sad to see my Pistons a shadow of their former selves.
Billups for AI was one of the worst trades ever. The only way they salvage this is if they manage to use the cap space cleared when Iverson becomes a free agent to land a young star player.

Quote:
Bulls/Celtics is going to be more hard-fought than people thought with the Celts now losing Leon Powe. Celtics aren't going anywhere past the second round, at best, without K.G...
Last night's shootout between Ray Allen and Ben Gordon was some of the most exciting basketball I have seen in a while.

Celts could get to the conference finals if the Magic fold up shop in the first round. They should have enough to get past the Sixers without KG.

Quote:
Meanwhile, there's controversy in Orlando with a bench guy, a 6'11" European whose name I forget, agreed with Shaq that Stan Van Gundy is panicker and it's not good for the team. With Dwight Howard also criticizing Van Gundy in the past, he could be in trouble if Orlando folds early...
If the Magic crash and burn in the playoffs prior to the conference finals they almost have to deep six Van Gundy don't they?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
IceTheKnees
Rookie Player

IceTheKnees is on a distinguished road

I am actually working with NBA.com for the playoffs. Wanted to post this video of game 2 highlights from the Hornets Nuggets series... anyone being following this match up?
IceTheKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Welcome, IceTheKnees. :wavey:

Surprisingly, Billups is dominating CP3. Billups is simply a winner who knows how to lead his team and score when he has to, or setup teammates when needed. Pistons trading him was a historically dumb move, indeed.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to avoid the NBA playoffs, but they tend to always suck me in. Hopefully the Sixers will at least be solid. Once someone wins two games against the Lakers or Cavs I'll start to watch that Series.

Aside from that, I'll watch to see how Derrick Rose is looking and if he looks like he'll put on a show, I'll tune in. Same with Ben Gordon, but to a lesser extent. The Hornets have been disappointing, though.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Hornets have been fairly disappointing all season long. They were supposed to win upwards of 60 games this year.

As a Sixers fan I'll be happy if they get two wins against Orlando. They just have no shot without Elton Brand in the middle to at least make Howard work a little on defense.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Boston seems to be making a statement against the Bulls tonight. Guess they're the defending champs for a reason. I still don't think they'll win the east. Not without KG or Powe.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The Hornets have been fairly disappointing all season long. They were supposed to win upwards of 60 games this year.

As a Sixers fan I'll be happy if they get two wins against Orlando. They just have no shot without Elton Brand in the middle to at least make Howard work a little on defense.
As a Sixers fan, I won't be happy with two wins against Orlando. I'm not saying I think the Sixers are the better team, they aren't. And, I'm not saying I'd be real upset, I just wouldn't be happy. Orlando isn't as good without Nelson running things, that much seems pretty obvious, so I don't think they are a typical 3 seed.

Also, with the Magic having, easily, the worst headcoach left out there, the Sixers certainly have a legit shot to win the series.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
IceTheKnees
Rookie Player

IceTheKnees is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Boston seems to be making a statement against the Bulls tonight. Guess they're the defending champs for a reason. I still don't think they'll win the east. Not without KG or Powe.
They really did take it to Chicago last night, on Chicago's home court. Rondo and Pierce were throwing it down. You can check out the highlights here.
IceTheKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Is New Orleans aware it has a game tonight? Seriously.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Is New Orleans aware it has a game tonight? Seriously.
For real. That was a disgrace, at home. You can have a bad loss, but how do you let it get out of control like that? And more importantly, is Chris Paul developing a dubious reputation in these playoffs? He didn't show up.

Cleveland swept the Pistons, pretty much the end of an era as Rasheed is likely gone. Sad for me to see, but the Pistons will be back soon I think.

Lakers won their series, but got out-rebounded and people are still questioning their toughness. I still think they are the favorites in the league, though.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
For real. That was a disgrace, at home. You can have a bad loss, but how do you let it get out of control like that? And more importantly, is Chris Paul developing a dubious reputation in these playoffs? He didn't show up.
I don't know. I had heard that Karl was speculating after one of the games last week as to whether Paul was 100% or not. Paul, of course, says nothing is wrong. I kind of wonder if playing on the Olympic squad last summer is starting to catch up with him a bit and maybe he is just fatigued.

Quote:
Cleveland swept the Pistons, pretty much the end of an era as Rasheed is likely gone. Sad for me to see, but the Pistons will be back soon I think.
Could very well be the end of the Spurs as well they barely showed up in their series against Dallas. Will Manu bounce back and be the difference maker he has been for the Spurs the past few seasons?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Chance for Denver to close out their series tonight with the Hornets. Will New Orleans show up tonight? You have to think they will play better than the last game..at least.