Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 08:54 PM   #16
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Joey, I understand the concern about the OU running game. It's worth questioning. The QB is a question mark after #1. White's decent, and will actually be responsible for picking up some of those draws that you mention Griffin ran for the Sooners all the time. White has some athleticism about him, while Hybl had very little. White's big problem is health. Two years, two ankle injuries (or was one a knee?) is a mighty big risk. However, I trust Stoops to do more with question marks than anyone else in the Big12.

I think the defense has generally allowed the OU pass offense off the hook more than Griffin did.

Works will be a fine RB for the Sooners.

I just think OU will have a pretty good year, and I wonder if Purple might not be on to something: are we looking at one of those bonanza BCS-sucks years where a team with one loss plays a team with two losses in the title game? I don't know if I trust anyone to run the table. But, what do we know at this point?

Anything can happen, and most likely will, with these "certainties":

Texas will lose to OU
Auburn will lose the game that clinches the SEC West
Miami will win the Big Least
OSU will lose at least one game
Marshall will struggle early
Florida State will handle Maryland by 30

Dave
Old 06-09-2003, 09:13 PM   #17
Hoos da best
Rookie Player

Hoos da best is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tigereyes33
I am going to say that it is going to be VT vs. Auburn. Virginia Tech is in a weak conference and I think they'll beat Miami at home, they just need to get past Pitt..
VT also needs to get past UVA at Scott Stadium, which is no easy tasks. UVA was 5-1 at home last year (might have been 6-1, I'm not sure), but were 1 yard from being perfect at home (Marques Hagans fumble on the one yard line, with about 3 seconds left, down by 6 against Colorado State in the first game of the year). UVA has one of the top QB's in the country, a lot of depth at RB, a great O-line, one of the best (and very young) LB crew in the country also. TSN has UVA as #10 in the country. UVA will beat VT. VT has not done much since Vick left, and wont do much more.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:54 PM   #18
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Okay, don't get too cocky there UVA, although I think they'll be good too, but Virginia Tech I think is still just ahead of the Hoos. And if VT is undefeated going into that game, they will be sure not to let Virginia give them their first loss. But it should be a very good game. The most competitive game between the two in quite a while, with both of them being so good.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:58 PM   #19
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

Sorry Dave, but I think Auburn will have more than one chance to clinch the SEC West (if there is a second, it will probably be vs. Bama, and we ain't gonna lose to the Tide) ,and Maryland will beat Florida State, but everything else looks somewhat possible. And Dave, you seem pretty confident Auburn will not win the SEC, or the SEC West for that matter. I'm not predicting Auburn to win it all, but I do know that they will win the west.

And I wish that we could put some money on it, because I wouldn't hesitate for a second on doing it, because the SEC is going to be down even farther than last year next year, and Auburn was VERY CLOSE to winning the west last year, and this year their team is better and the SEC is worse, so what is your deal on being set on Auburn not even beating out LSU (Auburn whipped the **** out of LSU last year without Cadillac 31-7 I might add). I'mm just a little worried about the Hogs beating us, because they seem to always catch us on our worst game of the year. But I think that Auburn will beat Arkansas this year because I don't see us losing to them 3 in a row. So I think Auburn will go 11-1 (just because I don't want to jynx 12-0, but I think they have a pretty good shot at going undefeated if injuries don't plague us), and beat Georgia twice to take the SEC. And hopefully they can sneak into the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited by tigereyes33; 06-09-2003 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:50 PM   #20
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I joined this late, but first thing first, purple, are you really high on K State? This is the same team who pisses their pants when the bus goes past the " Now Leaving Manhattan" sign. No way K State goes anywhere of importance.

Ohio State WILL lose a game this year. In fact, I think with Washington and NC St. on the non-conf schedule, they will lose 2-3 games this year. I really hope they win one of the two on the road against PSU or Michigan ( of course more so), but doubt both games will go the way of the Buckeyes.

The talk about Pitt is valid, however Walt Harris has bouts with mental insanity ( although they were fewer and farther between last year) and either runs the same play again and again or " pooch" punts on 3rd and 18+ to often to get Pitt an undefeated season, which would be needed for them to get in , as oppossed to a one loss season from say a Miami or Oklahoma.

Sooners and Stoops again this season, IMO. It would be interesting to see Oklahoma play Ohio St. in the Sugar Bowl though cause both teams were the most impressive ( along with USC, although beating Iowa is not a big task) in last year's BCS games. Plus, both Stoops and Tressel are Youngstown guys, so I'd have a hometown personal interest in it. I doubt the Bucks get there though.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:59 AM   #21
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Good. This is just the way I like to see it. No one giving Ohio State a chance...AGAIN!

On a side note, I can't wait until Auburn falls flat on their face this year.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:21 AM   #22
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Auburn blows.

btw, Ricky, since you have the kool aid man as your avatar, maybe u should consider changing your title from 'go bucks' to 'mr. kool' eh? lol

as far as my picks are concerned, I'd have to pick my hometown team Miami in the Sugar to battle it out with Oklahoma. I just don't think Texas has enough steam in it's engine to make a serious run
Old 06-10-2003, 08:50 AM   #23
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

Okay, Miami is not going to go to 3 straight national titles, so they're out, and OSU will lose to N.C. State and at least one other team, and I can't wait until Auburn has a great year and I can rub it in all of your faces who said they were choke artists and they'll fall on their faces and that they blow. So just keep insulting them, just know that the more you do, the dumber you will feel this football season, and the more I'll let you know about their great year.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:11 PM   #24
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

First off 33, I say Auburn will win the SEC West and the SEC over Tennessee in the SEC Championship game.....so count me out of the ones who say Auburn will fall on their face. 33, your right on about the SEC being worse this season, as compared to a season ago. Auburn really only has 2 major tests in the West, that being LSU and Bama.....note Auburn will not lose to Arkanslaw this season.

Ricky, Ohio State does have a chance, but you have to agree their road to the Sugar Bowl is awfully tough with games at Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn State. This is not the Ohio State team that had the luxury of playing basically all their tough opponents at home or at a neutral site, as they did last year.

Hoos Welcome to the Board!
I think UVA has great young talent at tailback, a good starting QB, and their backup QB Hagans looked somewhat impressive at times as well last year against Colorado St. and a few other times that I saw him. UVA lost their defensive leader last year at linebacker, but they have good young linebackers to fill that void. UVA can compete with the best of teams this year I agree. They also lost Mcmullen at WR, so what are their receivers looking like? I am thinking their wide outs are not looking all that scary coming into the season.

Dave did make a good point about FSU owning Maryland. Even when Maryland only lost 1 game during the regular season a few years ago, they still lost to FSU by a wide margin. Maryland ended up being in a BCS game that year, where they met the Florida Gators. Florida torched them, so Maryland it not so good against state of Florida opponents.

I am certainly not sold on N.C. State beating Ohio State at Ohio State. N.C. State might go undefeated in the ACC, which I doubt as well, but N.C. State's defensive line will be a huge liability this season.

BTW, 33, FSU went to 3 straight BCS National Title games(the first 3), so why could Miami not do the same exact thing?

Joey
Old 06-10-2003, 01:37 PM   #25
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Joey, with you all the way on NC St. not beating OSU. The Bucks aren't going to allow some upstart program to ruin their winning streak in Columbus. Disagree big time on Wisconsin Joey. They have been living off of that back to back Rose Bowl run reputation long enough. The Bucks should have no trouble against them, they are WAY OVERATED.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #26
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

Who I was referring to when I said that I would rub Auburn's good season in their face is mainly Ricky and Dave, but maybe digital since he just hates me. And to Joey (I guess that's your name), I have noticed that you are one of the only ones on this site who actually agrees with me about AU being good, so I know you agree with me.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:28 PM   #27
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Buckeye, Ohio State only beat Wisconsin 19-14 last season, and Wisconsin was without star receiver Lee Evans, who will own the Big 10 this year. I think Wisconsin has more than a good chance to beat OSU this season. They are ranked in the top 15 by most, and maybe that is too high...time shall tell. OSU is not leaps and bounds better than Wisconsin though. OSU was not that much better than Wisconsin a year ago, what changes things this year Buckeye? This game is in Madison as well.

Joey
Old 06-10-2003, 04:58 PM   #28
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

Yeah, Wisconson could be pretty good next year.

Last edited by tigereyes33; 06-10-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:59 PM   #29
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

And also Joey, I don't think that these past two Miami teams are as good as the FSU ones, especially the Miami team last year (their defense was not all that great).
Old 06-10-2003, 05:02 PM   #30
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I think if Wisconsin were carrying all of its baby Badgers in Lee Evans' basket, I'd get a new basket, just in case, Joey. He hasn't been in live action football since his injury at the beginning of 2002, and a) is going to take time readjusting to the speed of the game, hitting, etc., and b) may not even make it to mid-October.

There's hope that the extra time off actually allowed him to get his knee stronger than it was previously, but... a knee is a knee, and once you hurt them once...

And don't be so sure about that "better than" stuff. Ohio State dogged it in every away game last year (btw, why is OSU visiting Wisconsin in back-to-back seasons?), but still won, and protected their lead for over half of the fourth quarter. Away from home. And against the same QB that they'll be facing as last year. Sorgi got a lot of time against the Buckeyes last season because Bollinger got hurt early, as I recall, a concussion. He wasn't terribly effective. Not awful, but...

Krenzel actually had a decent day passing against the Badgers, so I'd look for Krenzel to air it out against them. Besides, Tressel stated earlier in the spring that he expected to throw a little more this year. I'd say if they haven't started before October 11, they may look to do so then.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Wisconsin or like a Buckeye shill, but I don't believe the hype... yeeaaah. Wisconsin has the opportunity, but most years they're like Auburn, dropping the ball in an instance where it's least expected and most damaging.

On other matters:
I like UVA A LOT. I think Hagans is expected to line up as a receiver, and maybe even the occasional tailback. Groh wants his playmaking ability on the field more often than he's been, but trusts Shaub's steady leadership more than Hagans, from what I've read.

And, while I like UVA, I don't expect they'll make a serious ACC title bid. Florida State, NC State, and maybe Maryland, are still stronger teams, NCSU and FSU by large, but shrinking margins. Note that only the FSU game (of these three) are at home, where the Cavs were home for NCSU (a tight affair) and Maryland (an amazing blowout).

The ACC looks like a two-horse race. If McClendon and Rivers stay healthy, NCSU could just win it.

Dave
Closed Thread