Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:03 PM   #31
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Dave, Auburn is not the only team that blew a game last year.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:05 PM   #32
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Hey, I have made it my secondary mission on these boards to get your goat whenever possible, 33.

Dave
Old 06-10-2003, 05:07 PM   #33
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

Also Dave, two years ago Auburn won at least 3 by a last second field goal, and won 1 by a brilliant Mark Richt goalline call. And one of those field goals was against #1 Florida. And even last year, they won a 3OT game of the year. So you're acting like they cannot win games, and you are being ignorant about it.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:08 PM   #34
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

I know, I'm just messing with you.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:12 PM   #35
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Well, last years game was in Madison too Joey, and what did that do? Look, since Wisconsin's 2nd Rose Bowl title, they have been ranked high early and faltered in the middle to end of the season. They are living off of a reputation nowadays. How many times do you have to go around 7-5 before people accept the fact you are just a mediocre team?

Should I be overly concerned about a Badger team that hasn't won against Ohio State in Madison since 1992? I don't think so. Sure WU didn't have Evans, and Boolinger was knocked out, but I think Wisconsin had their chances and just aren't at the level of Ohio St. now. In fact, speaking of Boolinger, I think Jim Sorgi, WU's backup, did a better job then he did, so that went in favor of WU and they still didn't win.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #36
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I guess we were writing at the same time Dave, but I agree with your OSU-WU anaylsis. I think Sorgi did well, considering he was facing a monster defense.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #37
chevy706
Grizzled Veteran

chevy706 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to go ahead and say Pitt vs. either Auburn or NC State, and wait to get torched for it.

First off, it's boring going with the usual suspects. OU and Miami are always there, and the reasons to suggest they'll be there again are obvious.

I like Auburn because in a lot of ways they are like Ohio St. was last year. Monster defense and a running game that is probably unparalleled in the NCAA, at least depth-wise. A favorable schedule given that the SEC is a little weaker than normal, and no UF on the schedule.

NC State is a nice pick because it's basically between them and FSU this year. If either of these teams can run the table, they'll be in Nawlins this year, based on history. Say what you will about the ACC and the Big East being weak conferences, but they've combined to have at least one representative in every NC game since the inception of the BCS. NC State's biggest obstacle ought to be @Ohio St. and although it's a big obstacle, it's not insurmountable.

I like Pitt for a multitude of reasons, including the fact I'm a homer and they are my favorite team. Secondly, their offense is even better this year than it was last, with the emergence of Wilson at TE, All American candidate Miree at RB, one of the top 5 WR in the nation in Fitzgerald, and an improved, more experienced QB in Rutherford. Pitt's three toughest games are all at home this year against the same opponents they gave fits last year. (lost 14-6 @ND with a chance to win it late, won @VT convincingly, lost [email protected] with a last second TD pass batted away). Also, their strength of schedule (46th) combined with their preseason rankings (almost unanimous top 10) lends itself to ending up at or near the top.

Ok, now that I've thrown my two copper coins in the mix, I'm ready to get trounced for such silly notions.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #38
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Not at all....I picked Pitt as one of my dark horses. They aren't ranked in hte Pre-Season Top 10 for nothing.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:31 PM   #39
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Dave asked a question I wanted to know....why is Ohio State having to play at Wisconsin 2 seasons in a row. Is that due to the 11 teams within the Big 10 and scheduling problems?

I surely never said that OSU would lose to Wisconsin, but Buckeye made them sound like they had no chance in hell in beating the Buckeyes or even giving them a scare. I can remember last year's game, and Ohio State was making some mistakes in the secondary that Wisconsin and Sorgi did not capitalize on. I am sure the Buckeyes will tell you that the Wisconsin game was a major scare last year. Lets not forget that Wisconsin has a good running game as well with Anthony Davis. I don't think he faired too well against OSU last season, but this is not the same OSU defense either. My concluding statment is, Wisconsin may be overrated, but they still have a decent chance at winning that game.

Chevy, I like the Pitt pick, but I don't like the N.C. State pick, for no other reason than their defensive line is not going to be good this year. When the Wolfpack's defensive line matchs up against Ohio State's front and Maurice, they will get ran on consistently and lose the game for that very reason. Not to mention they have to play against good running backs within the ACC like Greg Jones, Perry from Maryland, Miree from Pitt, and Gundy from UVA.

Pitt can play decent defense, and have the offensive tools to be effective. So, not a completely bad pick there, though I doubt it will happen.

Joey
Old 06-10-2003, 06:37 PM   #40
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I like Pitt too chevy, however I am not a fan of Walt Harris. Fitgerald is no longer a surprise and teams are aware of how good this program is now.

As I said in another post, Harris runs too many predictable plays ( the fade to Fitzgerald is option 1-9 on his chart with option 10 being a timeout) and lacks the outright guts to get his team to a perfect season, which is what they need, as oppossed to a one loss Oklahoma or Miami team. The pooch punt needs to get scrapped IMO, it is damaging to a team's head if you ask me.

All and all, I like Pitt here. If they lose more then one game this year, that would be disappointing, if they lose two, I'd say that is rediculous based on their talent. If Harris can somehow make a few coaching adjustments, I think they have a chance to run the table, although I'd put a few teams ahead of them to do it if I was a betting man here in June.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:53 PM   #41
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I don't know why Wisconsin is playing Ohio St. in Madison in consecutive years. I left all my Buckeye media guides in Ohio this past weekend when I went to a wedding. I'll get them back when I go in again for Father's Day Joey and look it up and see if this is common. If memory serves, it is not common at all.

I know Ohio State isn't playing Illinois this year for the first time since 1916. I can't really comment on that too much, cause my blood will boil over and I'll need a doctor, pronto. I'd assume it's due to scheduling difficulties from PSU joining nearly a decade ago that there are back to back games in Madison and no Illinois this year, but can check when I get my media guide back this weekend.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:58 AM   #42
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Thats another thing, I think because Ohio State is the defending champs, unless two teams go undefeated like last year they will get in the National Title game. Unless they loose one of their last couple games, then they might not be able to recover in time. But, I dont think an early slip, especially in the nonconference games, will knock them out.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:55 PM   #43
Bama_AL
Grizzled Veteran

Bama_AL is on a distinguished road

Right now I think that the National Championship game will be between Ohio St. and Virginia Tech, with Ohio St. winning a close one. Although my prediction may change before the end of the summer, I know one thing for sure is that I won't pick Auburn to go to the Sugar Bowl. Cause they WILL lose atleast two games this season.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:01 PM   #44
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Welcome Bama_AL!!

I'm interested to know which two games you think Auburn might drop. As an obvious Tide fan, it'd be cool to get your take on 'Bama's offseason troubles... but I don't know if they really fit this thread. Maybe mention it in the Neuheisel's an ass thread...

Dave
Old 06-12-2003, 10:24 PM   #45
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

All I know Bama AL is that we sure as hell ain't gonna lose to you. I would rather lose 10 games and beat you, than lose 2 games and lose to you, and your team has a few talented players, but has no depth at all at pretty much any position except for maybe LB. Also, the game is at Auburn, and we will want revenge from your 31-7 beating of us last time the game was there.
Closed Thread