Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #16
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What I was actually alluding to is that, for some reason, the Giants, and not the A's, have "territorial rights" to Santa Clara County in California, which includes San Jose - at least according to the geniuses at Major League Baseball.

Does that mean that they're gonna put everyone under Big Brother surveillance, and anyone in San Jose caught watching an A's game will hear a knock on their door? :lol:
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #17
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
You dislike Charlotte or what? Please elaborate. This should be interesting...
Sorry Marc for taking so long to respond. My family is from the Winston-Salem area, in fact part of the people who settled Wachovia in the 1700s. I love NC. I just think Charlotte is too full of themselves. They try to put a positive spin on everything and call their main business district UPtown. There are too many bible thumpers there. I never thought they had the great desire to be a first rate NFL town, and never remember them trying to land a team back when ST Louis, Baltimore, Houston, N.O. and others were trying to move. The did have a big tv market and population. I grew-up a Redskin fan and moved to Jacksonville just before the Panthers and Jaguars were formed. I felt the better fans were in Jacksonville but with less population and tv market size. During the race for teams, I thought Charlotte was a little condescending. I root for the Panthers more often than not, but I think Jacksonville was a bigger football town. Much better for golf too.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #18
Anthony

Just what I needed to hear, Rick: On my return flight from New York back to San Francisco (on May 18th), I'll be changing planes in Charlotte! :lol:

And I'd imagine you're absolutely ecstatic that Rashad Jennings fell into your lap in the 7th round. He could be the replacement for Fred Taylor the Jags need, for short yardage and down close to the goal line, and against the 3-4.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Just what I needed to hear, Rick: On my return flight from New York back to San Francisco (on May 18th), I'll be changing planes in Charlotte! :lol:

And I'd imagine you're absolutely ecstatic that Rashad Jennings fell into your lap in the 7th round. He could be the replacement for Fred Taylor the Jags need, for short yardage and down close to the goal line, and against the 3-4.
Anthony, Charlotte will be an ok place to change planes. I live 1/2 the year in NC and will be travelling around Charlotte next Sunday. We complain that unless you're on USAir it's nogo from there.
I'm hoping Jennings makes an impact. The Jags seem to be going a different way this year. Del Rio says, "no more Mr. Niceguy". Hope you have a safe and pleasant journey.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
Anthony

Oh, I'm having a lot of fun thus far; and if Rashad Jennings turns out to be the next Terrell Davis, please don't forget to make a mental note of where you heard that first.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Quote:
Oh, I'm having a lot of fun thus far; and if Rashad Jennings turns out to be the next Terrell Davis, please don't forget to make a mental note of where you heard that first.
I'll make a note of that Anthony. I hope you are right about Jennings, the Jaguars need some spark-big time.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #22
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Terrell Davis ended up having break away speed that Jennings does not have. The primary reason Davis came off the board so late is he played like 10 games in college. The same goes for Willie Parker who barely played at all at Carolina.

Jennings posted a 4.67 in his 40 at the combine so I would imagine some teams are writing off his success at the college level to playing against far inferior competition in comparison to what he would have faced had he stuck it out at Pittsburgh.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #23
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar Rick View Post
I root for the Panthers more often than not, but I think Jacksonville was a bigger football town. Much better for golf too.

I won't quibble with the golf comment. On being a bigger football town, however, I think the numbers are pretty opposed to that side of the argument.

In a totally unscientific googling of blackout nfl & panthers/jaguars, the most recent stories regarding either having potential TV blackouts surround the Jags. The most recent Panthers story I could find in just a few seconds search was from '02. The Jags were fighting TV blackouts LAST SEASON.

And who can blame Jacksonville? The Fighting Del Rios are just not a compelling bunch of guys. Garrard's a nice story, but a footnote at the end of the book. Taylor, a great running back in the history of the game, never seemed to carry the team when they needed him most.
And Del Rio. I want to like him, but he'll prove to be a better coach in his next job, I think. Which I expect him to accept for the '10 season.

Dave
Old 05-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #24
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think the Panthers had tryst or two with blackouts that never came to fruition back in the '07 season when the team was running the likes of Vinny Testaverde and David Carr to take snaps.

I don't have anything to back that up I just seem to remember hearing it being discussed on local talk radio.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #25
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

That's possible. That was a crummy team, and notorious for being absolutely unable to play at home, of all places.

The East Coast-ish Florida sports teams always struggle, and Jax isn't any different. Miami is a cool place to be in December, I've come to notice over the last few years spending Christmas there, because they don't block other networks from running games while the 'Phins are playing. Kinda cool.
And oh, so missed are my days in WV, when it was possible, unlikely, but still possible to get 4 whole games to watch in the 2 daytime slots. Of course, there was no Sunday Night football back then.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #26
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

We had the same deal in Pennsylvania because of where we were situated, and the Skins training in my hometown, and it being prior to the all of the regulation and regionalization of programming we got the CBS affiliate out of DC and out of Harrisburg so we always got Eagles and Redskins games on Sundays.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #27
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave View Post
I won't quibble with the golf comment. On being a bigger football town, however, I think the numbers are pretty opposed to that side of the argument.

In a totally unscientific googling of blackout nfl & panthers/jaguars, the most recent stories regarding either having potential TV blackouts surround the Jags. The most recent Panthers story I could find in just a few seconds search was from '02. The Jags were fighting TV blackouts LAST SEASON.

And who can blame Jacksonville? The Fighting Del Rios are just not a compelling bunch of guys. Garrard's a nice story, but a footnote at the end of the book. Taylor, a great running back in the history of the game, never seemed to carry the team when they needed him most.
And Del Rio. I want to like him, but he'll prove to be a better coach in his next job, I think. Which I expect him to accept for the '10 season.

Dave
Dave, I won't disagree with you on most of your points. I was talking about the reps of Charlotte and Jacksonville when they were awarded teams. Charlotte was as much a basketball town as anything else. Jacksonville has lost a lot of patience with the Jags of late, and the recent success of the Gators nearby has pulled some of the fans away from the Jags. I don't know what to think about Del Rio. I don't think the team improves much this year, and bet Del Rio may not be around for 2011.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Terrell Davis ended up having break away speed that Jennings does not have. The primary reason Davis came off the board so late is he played like 10 games in college. The same goes for Willie Parker who barely played at all at Carolina.

Jennings posted a 4.67 in his 40 at the combine so I would imagine some teams are writing off his success at the college level to playing against far inferior competition in comparison to what he would have faced had he stuck it out at Pittsburgh.

4.67? I thought it was 4.59.

That might explain why he lasted 250 picks; but what does "inferior competition" have to do with it? Did Brandon Jacobs play at a BCS school? And do weights and measurements differ in Lynchburg, Virginia from say, Ann Arbor, Michigan (6'2" and 235 pounds somehow being smaller at the former than at the latter)?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #29
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
4.67? I thought it was 4.59.
Nope, not according to the NFL's combine site:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

They have his time posted as 4.67.

Quote:
That might explain why he lasted 250 picks; but what does "inferior competition" have to do with it? Did Brandon Jacobs play at a BCS school? And do weights and measurements differ in Lynchburg, Virginia from say, Ann Arbor, Michigan (6'2" and 235 pounds somehow being smaller at the former than at the latter)?
Jacobs did not run a 4.67 either. If memory serves his times were in the mid 4.5s in the 40 and that is where inferior competition comes into play. Teams will overlook the level of competition and spend a third or fourth round pick on you when you post comparable numbers to guys at bigger schools in your workouts. But, when you are playing I-AA ball and you run a 4.67 then the logical conclusion is going to be that the ran for 1,500 yards because he is playing against inferior defenses and not because he is s stud back.

Plus, Jennings is not even remotely the same size as Jacobs. Jacobs is like 6' 4" upwards of 270 pounds while Jennings is listed as 6' 1" 230 pounds on his NFL prospect profile. It is not as though he is a freakishly big back to begin with.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #30
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Just thought we needed to remind ourselves, that indeed, yes, Brandon Jacobs played at a big time school:
This from Wikipedia, because I didn't remember the stats, but did remember the role & subsequent transfer to SIU:
Quote:
Jacobs enrolled at Auburn University for the 2003 season. He was part of a shuttling system at halfback, sharing time with Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams. He finished the year ranked second on the team with 72 carries for 446 yards (6.2 avg) and three touchdowns. Facing the prospect of being moved to linebacker the following year or stuck behind Brown and Williams on the depth chart, Jacobs chose to transfer out of Auburn.
He had proved he could play against premier competition. He just didn't want to sit behind two guys whose pro careers, as it turns out, have some work to catch up to his.

Dave

Dave