Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-07-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default The Free Agency Countdown Thread

At midnight Eastern time on Friday, February 27th - or 9:00 PM, Pacific time on Thursday, February 26th, for clarification purposes - the NFL's free-agent signing period begins.

This is the place for any and all discussions regarding potential free agents, and where they may land.

One such player has already been effectively taken off the market: New England backup (?) QB Matt Cassel, who has been "franchised".
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I wonder how much it had to do with concerns over Brady's health vs. just doing the smart thing and not let an emerging talent like Cassel get away had to do with the Pats' decision to franchise him.

My Packers are switching to a 3-4 under Dom Capers, and I'm not a fan of this. It may mean an even worse defense in the short-term because they don't have the personnel for 3-4. Aaron Kampman is probably switching to linebacker. This is a risky move.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I will not be surprised if Cassel gets moved this off season. It is pretty much a no-lose situation for them. If Brady is not ready to go in a couple of months then they have their insurance policy. If it turns out he will be good to go the Pats know full well they can get at least a #1 pick for him and probably an extra mid round pick or two thrown in to boot given how weak this draft is in terms of NFL ready talent at the position.

I will be somewhat surprised if any QB in this draft is an opening day starter next fall.

Kampman will almost surely have to move to LB. Most teams who deploy the 3-4 prefer 300-pounders to play the end positions.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
Anthony

I've never liked the 3-4, and I never will.

To me, it's a bend-but-don't-break defense, and a finesse defense (it is, however, a cap-friendly defense, as nose tackles and inside linebackers nearly always command lesser salaries than defensive tackles and, most of all, middle linebackers).
Old 02-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

So, you are telling me this year's Steelers defense was a finesse, bend-but-don't-break defense? The top 2 defenses in yards allowed and two of the top 3 in points allowed primarily ran 3-4s last season.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
I will be somewhat surprised if any QB in this draft is an opening day starter next fall.
Including Matt Stafford at Detroit? Unless they do something different with the pick (like draft Aaron Curry or trade-down), I don't see how an 0-16 team justifies taking a quarterback with the number one pick and does not start him. That team has so many needs that whoever they decided to take first overall ought to be an opening day starter.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The thing is the Lions still have Culpepper and Kitna under contract for next year and both guys are still servicable QBs in the league so they do not necessarily have to take a QB with the top pick.

The Lions have so many deficiencies that they can go several different directions here. The defense was just putrid last year and the offensive line has been an issue there for several years.

Honestly, with no real clear cut #1 in the draft the Lions are probably better off trying to trade out of the top spot and pick up some additional picks to help fill in some of the many holes in the roster.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
Anthony

Have you noticed that Kiper has Mark Sanchez going to KC - at #3?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

FoxSports has Sanchez going number 1. I have seen him going as low as 18 on one of the major sites.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

I really do believe that Tyler Thigpen will be the starting quarterback next season for Kansas City. If they draft Sanchez, they would strictly be looking at grooming a back-up quarterback. They have too many needs to go that route, so I don't see them drafting Sanchez. But with a new GM, new head coach and such a young owner, they are sort of unpredictable right now.

If Detroit doesn't take Stafford first overall, I could see Kansas City grabbing him with the number three pick, though.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #11
Anthony

If you're right, toby, are you ready for another 2-14 season?

Is it my imagination, or do the 2008-09 Chiefs bear an uncanny resemblance to the 1978-79 49ers, who did in fact go 2-14 in both of those years?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
If you're right, toby, are you ready for another 2-14 season?

Is it my imagination, or do the 2008-09 Chiefs bear an uncanny resemblance to the 1978-79 49ers, who did in fact go 2-14 in both of those years?
Another 2-14 season? No. But, I do realize that Kansas City won't be playing .500 football.

Tyler Thigpen was not the reason Kansas City was 2-14, and I am in favor of giving the kid another year under center. Hell, better defensive play alone would have scored the team wins at New York, at home against Tampa Bay and on the road against San Diego. Thigpen showed poise at quarterback in those three games and marched Kansas City down the field several times. The Chiefs had fourth quarter leads in each of those games that their defense just couldn't keep. Kansas City could have been 4-5 with their third string quarterback starting while playing half of that time without Larry Johnson at running back.

The problem was defense, as I mentioned, so I have been pretty happy this offseason watching both Herman Edwards and Gunther Cunningham exit from the organization. Offensively, though, the key areas they need to focus on is on the offensive line and at running back if Larry Johnson's off-field problems continue to take away from his on-field performance.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
I really do believe that Tyler Thigpen will be the starting quarterback next season for Kansas City. If they draft Sanchez, they would strictly be looking at grooming a back-up quarterback. They have too many needs to go that route, so I don't see them drafting Sanchez. But with a new GM, new head coach and such a young owner, they are sort of unpredictable right now.
Maybe a backup for the '09 season. But you don't draft a QB at #3 thinking he is the backup QB of the future. If they take Sanchez at 3 I would not be surprised to see him as the starter by the end of the '09 season.

I agree that Thigpen was not the reason for KC being so bad, but, I just don't see him being a guy who can take a team to an elite level. To me he is probably another Jon Kitna type in that he will always put up decent numbers but he his teams will never be anything special.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Maybe a backup for the '09 season. But you don't draft a QB at #3 thinking he is the backup QB of the future. If they take Sanchez at 3 I would not be surprised to see him as the starter by the end of the '09 season.
I agree. I should have worded myself better.

I think they are sold on Tyler Thigpen, at least for this next year, but with so many new faces making decisions, that could change.

I don't see Sanchez ever becoming a more productive quarterback on the field than Thigpen, although time will tell. I just see him more as a back-up or transitional quarterback in the NFL, and nothing more. If Kansas City drafts him with the number three pick, that's what they are getting (although once their season is officially down the tubes, they might give him a shot late just to see if he can produce). And the team would be wasting away a pick, considering they have more glaring holes in their line-up than Thigpen at quarterback.

Quote:
I agree that Thigpen was not the reason for KC being so bad, but, I just don't see him being a guy who can take a team to an elite level. To me he is probably another Jon Kitna type in that he will always put up decent numbers but he his teams will never be anything special.
Thigpen won't take Kansas City to an elite level, but he is good enough to buy them another year before making moves next offseason.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:55 AM   #15
Anthony

But in a purely statistical sense, wasn't Steve DeBerg "productive" in 1978 and '79?

Which is my whole point: Thigpen will just play well enough to get you beat; and with everyone inserting eight and nine guys in the box to stop Larry Johnson (assuming he's even still there next year), even a high-school quarterback could average 230 yards passing per game in their situation.

Plus, with a defense as porous as KC's is now (and SF's was then), they will be so far behind at halftime in so many of their games that they will be forced to abandon the run, and most of the yardage and points their offense does generate will be so generated in garbage time.

Thigpen does have one thing going for him that DeBerg didn't: Fantasy football as we know it didn't exist three decades ago.