Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 05-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Gruden joins "Monday Night Football"

Quote:
Jon Gruden intends to coach again, but until that day, the man known throughout the NFL as "Chucky" will get to sharpen his teeth in ESPN's "Monday Night Football" booth.

Gruden will join play-by-play man Mike Tirico and analyst Ron Jaworski in September, replacing Tony Kornheiser.

"This is a tremendous opportunity and I am very excited to be associated with ESPN and Monday Night Football," Gruden said in a statement released by ESPN. "I grew up a fan of Monday Night Football, and whether I've coached on Monday night or watched, I've hardly missed a game all these years.

"To join Mike and Jaws in the booth and to work alongside this top-notch team is going to be a real thrill."

The 40th season of "Monday Night Football" kicks off Sept. 14 with a doubleheader; the New England Patriots play host to the Buffalo Bills at 7 p.m. ET and the San Diego Chargers visit the Oakland Raiders at 10:15 ET.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...r_espn_4174469

As far as I'm concerned, ANYONE would be an upgrade over Kornheiser. He was horrific in the booth, odd because I love him on PTI. Not sure about Gruden as I don't know what he's like as a broadcaster, but as a coach, I'm sure he has some good insight to balance the other guys in the booth. Still, I can't help but think it has to suck for him to go from coaching in the Super Bowl a few years back to calling games. Good move, bad move?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Gruden is a curious to me given he is probably only going to be there two years at the most. I wonder why they did not go for someone who is more likely to be there for five years.

I caught some of Gruden on the radio leading up to the draft and he came off fairly well.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

And it's funny because Gruden was quoted as blasting ESPN and media types several years ago while he was coaching. Now he's one of them. And besides, ESPN is used to finding new announcers every few years ... from Miller to Kornheiser to now Gruden, they keep shuffling things.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote