Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default NBA Thought of the Day: February

Skipping ahead to February...

NBA fans are clueless, voting A.I. and T-Mac to the all-star team: Allen Iverson makes no apologies for All-Star Game start - ESPN

:wtf:

Kobe has the prettiest, graceful game, but LeBron has better numbers across the board and is the best player on the planet.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

LeBron is the better player, Kobe has the better talent around him.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Hedo Turkoglu's response to a reporter was priceless:

Hedo Turkoglu: "Ball" - Hedo Turkoglu - Deadspin

:lol:

Still doesn't top the infamous "we played hard" by Rasheed Wallace, though...

Any other favorite post-game interviews you can think of?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Of the 30 NBA teams, 19 are over .500 (even eight teams in the woeful Eastern Conference have winning records).

What does that tell you about the other eleven?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Of the 30 NBA teams, 19 are over .500 (even eight teams in the woeful Eastern Conference have winning records).

What does that tell you about the other eleven?
It begs the question: should the playoffs be the top eight teams in each conference, or simply the top 16 teams based on ranking? I'm starting to think the latter; it's pretty pathetic when the East gets in so many mediocre teams, while the West has good ones left out.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

It is not terribly fair to do it based on top 16 overall simply because the schedules are not balanced. It would be skewed in favor of the Eastern Conference teams who get to pad their win totals by playing Philly, New York, New Jersey, Detroit, Indiana, and Washington 4 times this year while only having to play teams like LA, Denver, and Dallas twice.

To answer Anthony's question it shows how badly the NBA needs to fix its salary cap and contract structure so teams don't get hamstrung by a bad contract or guys who retire with two years left on a guaranteed contract.

It is asinine how a guy can retire and still count against a team's salary cap for the next two or three years when he is not even playing. It is idiotic that Cuttino Mobley counts for $9.5 million against the Knicks salary cap even though he was forced to retire due to a heart problem. Why should the Knicks be penalized for that?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Anthony

Did the NBA add any expansion teams when no one was looking?

I'm asking that because this year's pattern is typical of an expansion year (a clear majority of the teams having winning records).

But the fact that no one in the Eastern Conference would make the playoffs with a losing record if the season ended today has the net effect of blunting the argument for having the 16 teams with the best records regardless of conference make the playoffs.

And there's another pattern worth noting, and that is how all five Southwest Division teams are above .500. Maybe if there were more games played within the division, this would be less likely to happen? (And please, don't hand me that pabulum-puke about how more same-division games would increase the risk of brawls like the "Auburn Hills" incident of 2004).
Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Did the NBA add any expansion teams when no one was looking?

I'm asking that because this year's pattern is typical of an expansion year (a clear majority of the teams having winning records).

But the fact that no one in the Eastern Conference would make the playoffs with a losing record if the season ended today has the net effect of blunting the argument for having the 16 teams with the best records regardless of conference make the playoffs.
True, but, the 6th through 8th seeds in the East are barely at .500. Charlotte is one game over while Miami and Chicago are right at .500.

Part of the reason for the disparity is teams loading up on expiring contracts so they will have the cap space to make a run at some of the big time free agents this summer. They are willing to tank this season if it means having $30 million to spend on LeBron or D-Wade when free agency starts.

Teams also have less money to spend on upgrading their rosters due to a shrinking salary cap and players under contract getting bumps in pay. It leads to bad teams not being able to spend money on acquiring quality talent and leads to some lesser teams being able to retain talent that might have otherwise signed with a better team.

Quote:
And there's another pattern worth noting, and that is how all five Southwest Division teams are above .500. Maybe if there were more games played within the division, this would be less likely to happen? (And please, don't hand me that pabulum-puke about how more same-division games would increase the risk of brawls like the "Auburn Hills" incident of 2004).
It doubt it will last though. With Chris Paul out for the next two months I have a hard time seeing the Hornets staying above .500.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
True, but, the 6th through 8th seeds in the East are barely at .500. Charlotte is one game over while Miami and Chicago are right at .500.

But the overlap is not that great; it's not as if the 8th seed in the East is on pace to finish ten games under .500 while the "9th seed" in the West is on pace to finish ten games over .500.

Quote:
I doubt it will last though. With Chris Paul out for the next two months I have a hard time seeing the Hornets staying above .500.

You may be right - but that's still no excuse for not emphasizing division rivalries the way every other sport does.

Can't see why you can't have division rivals play each other eight times, with teams in different divisions within the same conference meeting three times, and each team playing 20 games outside the conference (NHL teams only play ten out-of-conference games), with every team from a division of one conference playing the teams from an entire division of the other conference twice every third year, once in other years.

The playoff format should also be largely division-based: Expand the playoff field from 16 to 18 teams, so that the top three teams in each division make the playoffs, which would commence with a best-of-three mini-series between the two third-place teams with the worst regular-season records, and the division winners getting the top three seeds and the second-place teams the next three.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
The playoff format should also be largely division-based: Expand the playoff field from 16 to 18 teams, so that the top three teams in each division make the playoffs, which would commence with a best-of-three mini-series between the two third-place teams with the worst regular-season records, and the division winners getting the top three seeds and the second-place teams the next three.
I doubt you would ever get NBA teams to buy off on expanding the playoffs. They are too long and somewhat diluted as it is and the top teams would prefer to play right away and not have any real down time between the end of the season and the start of the playoffs.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:00 AM   #11
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I doubt you would ever get NBA teams to buy off on expanding the playoffs. They are too long and somewhat diluted as it is and the top teams would prefer to play right away and not have any real down time between the end of the season and the start of the playoffs.

In that case, don't expand the playoffs, which would then have (in each conference) the top two teams in each division plus two wild-card teams.
Closed Thread