Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-22-2002, 07:24 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Is Steve Spurrier Losing His Players?

Is Steve Spurrier Losing His Players?
By Darrell Trimble

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is behind coach Steve Spurrier 100 percent. Too bad Spurrier can't say the same thing about his players.

A number of veteran players are questioning Spurrier and his coaching staff now that the 'Skins have dropped two straight games and fallen to 4-6, most likely out of playoff contention. One player told the Washington Times he believes as much as half the team is frustrated with the coaches right now.

The frustration stems from decisions Spurrier and his staff have made about the roles of particular players as well as problems with Spurrier's decision-making and demeanor.

In their back-to-back losses, the Redskins have passed more than 70 percent of the time, and running back Stephen Davis, who set the franchise single-season rushing mark last year, has bristled at his inactivity.

Spurrier admitted after losing to the Jaguars two weeks ago that he became too enamored with the pass. That's not odd considering his pass-happy style at the University of Florida, but given his current quarterback corps, it's unwise to rely on the passing game.

Players are also disenchanted with Spurrier's constant tinkering of the lineup. He has shuffled his wide receiving corps as often as he has his quarterbacks. He also recently cut punt returner Jacquez Green and brought up Justin Skaggs from the practice squad. But for Sunday's game against the Giants, Skaggs was left inactive.

Some veteran players went so far as saying they are starting to play for one another rather than for the team. If that sounds familiar, that's because it is. The same things were said during the team's five-game losing streak under Marty Schottenheimer last year. But those concerns were assuaged as the team finished by winning eight of their last eleven games.

When asked by the Washington Post this week whether the team's players have eliminated the mistrust of their coaches, defensive end Bruce Smith paused and said, "I can't answer that right now."

But that was an answer in itself.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 11:26 AM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

The Redskins have had so many problems with their last 4 coaches(3 being hired, 1 being interim), that I don't think any coach wants to be placed as the Redskins coach now!

Spurrier just come back to Gainsville!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:28 PM   #3
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Joey, your not giving up on Zook now are ya?...........lol.

If Stevie is treating his players in the NFL, the same way he did at Florida, then he wont work in the NFL. I am not at the redskins practices or games so I cant say he is or isnt. But you cant treat guys the same at this level, as he did at Florida.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:10 PM   #4
CHOsen1
Grizzled Veteran

CHOsen1 is on a distinguished road

hey zook can out bench anybody on his team...

The reason i think he is losing his players is because of the qb thing, the quarterback is supposed to be the leader of the offense, if you keep switching them the players are just going to be like okay whose our leader this week...he needs to keep one qb in there and let him endure the pain for the first season, but i guarantee if spurrier would make up his mind about who he wants to start at wide receiver and who he wants to start at qb they'll do alot better next year. Players dont want to look over there shoulder every week to see if somebody is going to take their starting job, players dont want to play for a coach like that, honestly who would? they just need to leave ramsey at qb, let him learn the system, and gardner and thompson at wide receiver, that will be a pretty good combination in the future, they just need to build chemistry with each other. i guess the phrase most appropriate is "rome wasnt built in a day" spurrier needs to get that in his head, this isnt college football..

Last edited by CHOsen1; 11-22-2002 at 01:12 PM.
CHOsen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:24 PM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, #47 I can't give up on Zook now....he is the coach....I have to remain optimistic. But I would jump at the chance of getting Spurrier back....and the perfect situation would be get Spurrier back and retain John Thompson at defensive Cooridinator. The combination of those 2 would have the Gators back to form easily.

I have been impressed with how Zook has turned this ship around, because after losing to Ole Miss and then to LSU by a ton....I was really worried. Florida has won all their games since.

Back to Spurrier....#47 hit it on the head! Spurrier can't use the same tactics he did in college with these NFL players. Well, he can and it looks like he has...and we see the result. Are all recent Redskins coaches cursed while being in Washington, or are they just coaching bad and don't have enough options to work with?

Joey
Old 11-22-2002, 06:31 PM   #6
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

A decent QB will solve the problem!
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 07:11 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

False! A decent QB will not solve the problem. There are questions on the defensive line (Bruce Smith, one of the greats, has lost more than one step), the defense as a whole still hasn't completely adopted the Marvin Lewis philosophy. And with Marvin Lewis a likely candidate to get a head coaching job, next season's D will need time to gel again.

They have questions at WR. And, for the love of the game, if he'd just give the ball to the guy who should have it, (as he did in his 2-game winning streak) all would be well.

Spurrier's problem is that he hasn't adapted to the speed and talent of opposing defenses. Until he realizes that, his 70% pass attack is DOOMED to failure. Doesn't matter if he has Joe Montana at QB and Jerry Rice at WR. There's a reason the vertical pass play is run less than 10% of the time. LBs are too fast, too good at coverage at this level to trust that they can't cover the short routes, CBs, Ss are too good at coverage to let a receiver catch and run the way it was done at Florida.

NFL football is a game of moderation and balance. You must accept the 3-yard gain. If he were to adopt, Hero, the short passing game of Gannon-Garner-Brown & Rice, he would be in much better shape, even with Shane Matthews.

He needs, before next season, to recognize that he ain't playing even SEC defenses any more. These guys are tons better on a week-in/week-out basis than the defenses he faced in college.

There's a reason student-athletes graduate from college. They know that most of their careers end at the college level.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:35 AM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Stephen Davis has not been used correctly and the Skins are suffering for it. Spurrier hasn't impressed me at all being an NFL Coach.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:53 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The problems are many in Washington. I think Ramsey can be this team's longterm QB, but Spurrier just needs to show patience and play him no matter what. Just like Harrington and Carr. They need to draft players for Spurrier's system -- particularly WRs and some more defensive depth as their defense has been so mediocre this year when in the preseason, there was hype that it was going to be better than '00 Baltimore.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 03:34 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
The problems are many in Washington. I think Ramsey can be this team's longterm QB, but Spurrier just needs to show patience and play him no matter what. Just like Harrington and Carr. They need to draft players for Spurrier's system -- particularly WRs and some more defensive depth as their defense has been so mediocre this year when in the preseason, there was hype that it was going to be better than '00 Baltimore.

Mediocre? Through ten weeks the Redskins are ninth out of 32 teams in total defense - I'd say that's a little bit better than "mediocre."

But your other points are beyond dispute; they need to persevere with Ramsey the way the Lions and Texans are doing with Harrington and Carr, and go out and get at least one young receiver - although with the QB situation in Philly the Eagles may end up drafting ahead of the 'Skins next spring, and they'll be looking for a wideout too!

Unfortunately though, Steve Spurrier is every bit as impatient as Daniel Snyder; maybe that's why they seem to be getting along so well with one another. It also suggests that the Redskins will make a strong bid to sign Marc Bulger once the free-agent signing period begins in March - to keep him away from Dallas, if for no other reason.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote