Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-07-2003, 06:02 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Monday Night Season Finale Abolished

Although the full schedule will not be released for another month, the NFL has announced that there will no longer be a Monday night game on the 17th and final week of the regular season; instead, the Week 1 Thursday night game (which debuted last year - San Francisco at N.Y. Giants) has been made permanent, and will henceforth be televised by ABC. Plus the opponents for the game itself in 2003 have been revealed - N.Y. Jets at Washington (personally, I thought it was almost surely going to be the Donovan McNabb-Michael Vick matchup that Philadelphia at Atlanta would have provided).

Wonder if this means that the Liberty Bowl will return to its "traditional" slot, which was the Monday night after the last Sunday of the NFL regular season (for those who don't remember, from 1970 through 1977 the NFL did not hold a Monday night game on the last week of the regular season, ABC getting a Saturday night game instead; then ABC televised the Liberty Bowl that Monday night).

Click here for a text of the story.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:25 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

sounds good to me. though i agree that Phi/Atl would be a better match up than wsh/NYJ is. the Liberty Bowl isn't a very big bowl game anymore so i think its gonna stay on ESPN with all the other bowls that almost noone cares about
Old 03-07-2003, 09:24 AM   #3
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Ahhhhh the LIBERTY BOWL, 1975 John McKay's last game at USC a 22-0 win over Texas A&M.

Being they cannot assure the Monday Night season finale is going to have meaning, much like this years didnt, I'm glad the season will end on Sunday.

Personally I would much prefer to see a college Bowl game here, but then again in that era of the '70s, the NFL season ended a bit earlier then it does now.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:04 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I used to LOVE the Liberty Bowl when it was on that Monday after the NFL's last Sunday. It was fun. I have no idea on what will happen now, if it will return. As we all now, right now in some office, some guy in a suit is crunching numbers to see what can get the Liberty Bowl one more penny, and that analysis will ultimately decide the fate of it.

I agree with those who said that the Atlanta- Philly matchup would be more tempting, but are we seeing this Thursday Night opener become a " patriotic" opener? Is that the precedent being set here? We have the Jets at Washington...the 9/11 connection is there. Remember the big deal the Giants-Niners game was with Bon Jovi and all the hoopla? Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with it, if this is indeed becoming a patriotic thing for NY or D.C. That's the least those people should get for what they've been through, an exciting NFL opener. Just an observation.

I think this move was done for another reason too. It's unfair for a team to play on that last Monday Night and then play a Saturday Wild Card game against an opponent who played on Sunday or even Saturday ( can't remember if they play on Sat. on that last weekend?...help?) That was proably another factor.

I like that part of it, however, I get a little uneasy when games are played on Thursdays. I liked it when games were all on Sunday, during the day ( no Sunday Night Game) and then the Monday Night game. That scenario made Monday Night Football VERY special and exciting. It still is today, but with games on Sunday night and Saturdays at the end of the season, plus these Thursday games, it is losing some of it's glory. During the 9/11 season when schedules got screwed up for obvious reasons, the Chiefs played the Colts on a Tuesday, and I feared it would become a trend. Thankfully, it didn't. HEY, THE NFL DID SOMETHING RIGHT !

Oh yeah, I like the Thanksgiving games of course. You can keep those on Turkey Day.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:32 PM   #5
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I want the Eagles so my Falcons can beat them. But I guess that's a good game. :\
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 03:51 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The more you think about it, the more the matchup they actually chose (Jets-Redskins) makes sense. TV viewers in New York rarely get to see a Sunday afternoon game not involving either the Giants or Jets; the same situation pertains in both Baltimore and Washington, D.C., whose viewers are hardly ever permitted to watch a Sunday afternoon game in which neither the Ravens nor the Redskins are a participant. The only time fans in these markets (and also the San Francisco-Oakland area) do get to see "out-of-town" games during the daytime on Sundays is when one of the local teams either has a bye or is playing their game that week at some time other than either of the two daytime Sunday slots.

So the NFL killed two birds with one stone - but wouldn't the Eagles-Falcons matchup have done the same thing, albeit for a different reason?:lol:
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

This monopoly of local NFL broadcasts is something that I've whined about since moving to an NFL city. (In 1990, I moved from franchise-free WV to Pittsburgh). Under the wrong situations, NFL cities even miss out on one half of a double header. Greg Easterbrook, better known as TMQ on espn.com's Page 2, spent more than half of the season this year decrying the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket monopoly, given the unavailability of DirecTV to a large number of Americans.

I would think that watching football in the Bay area, the nation's capital, or New York, would absolutely suck. There are far too many times that franchise cities miss out on premier matchups.

Dave
Old 03-09-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
I would think that watching football in the Bay area, the nation's capital, or New York, would absolutely suck. There are far too many times that franchise cities miss out on premier matchups.
Absolutely. And all I can say is thank God for Sunday NFL Ticket, baby! Without it, I don't know where I'd be. I'd be out of my mind stuck watching the Giants and Jets.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:09 PM   #9
RyGuy65
Grizzled Veteran

RyGuy65 is on a distinguished road

It's true. I'm often stuck seeing the crappy part of a doubleheader.
NHL- Detroit Red Wings
NCAA Football- Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Army
RyGuy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:26 AM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Try living where I did growing up...about one hour away from Cleveland, and one hour away from Pittsburgh...exactly in between the two. If both the Browns and Steelers played at one o'clock, they just picked a game out of the two and put it on. But sometimes, God only knows why, I wouldn't get a 4 o'clock game if they both played at 1pm, which was common. I have no idea what the rules were and why this happened to me. Needless to say, sometimes I wouldn't start watching football until the 4pm game. Then, in the mid to late 80s, I would get " blackouted" if the Browns or Steelers games weren't sold out and the only thing on from 1-4pm was a black screen ! Truly horrible.

Then, what was worse was when say the Browns played at 1pm and the Steelers played at 4pm...I was stuck with both of them as my only two games, while the big matchups were going on. It was HORRIBLE , especially since I am neither a Browns or Steelers fan. This was very common during the 80s especially, and I hated it. I've seen more Steelers-Bengals games on tv in my life then I care to mention.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:20 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I grew up in what turns out was a veritable mecca of NFL viewing. We had two CBS affiliates piping in during the CBS owning the NFC broadcasts, and two NBC affiliates. The CBS affiliates had no real ties, so they broadcast mostly NFC East teams, often different ones: If the Giants were on one station, the 'Skins were on another. And the NBC affiliates were sort of tied to their pro teams, but again, they were different. One channel showed Cincy games every week (this is when Boomer Esiason was calling signals, before the darkness fell over the Queen's City), the other showed Steelers games. When the Bengals and Steelers played, I had my choice of stations, because one broadcast in bolder colors--better reception.

After FOX stole the NFC from CBS, darker times came. For a long time, there was only one Fox affiliate. However, we moved a bit south, picked up a new Fox affiliate and an NBC affiliate that didn't fit the norm. So, I usually got the same games on two Fox affiliates, but now had three choices of NBC affiliates: the Bengals, Steelers, and who knew. Usually the third NBC affiliate played Steelers games, sometimes Dolphins games; they were all over the place.

The best for me was in the CBS & NBC era, when there would exist the odd occasion that I could watch 3 different games in the early slot, and then by some miracle, two late games. Trying to remember the hows and whys of being able to get 5 games in on regular broadcast TV are beyond my capacity now, but it was damn cool. Since moving to NFL cities, I've hated my NFL watching life.

Dave
Old 03-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Wow, 5 games in your 1pm and 4pm slots Dave. That's pretty good. I usually got only 2, and if I was lucky, sometimes 3. Sometimes, although a rarity, I only got 1. Truly horrible.

Right now, in Pittsburgh, I am getting usually 3 games. Steelers at 1pm, along with an NFC game and then another NFC game at 4pm. It kind of sucks for me, because I am a Bronco fan and rarely have access to an AFC game besides the Steelers. I also like AFC games more in general, I don't know why. The Steelers played, I believe 4? games in prime time this year though, helping me out a little there as I got to see other teams in their usual 1pm slot on Sunday.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:07 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I was surprised to find that most of the time here in the NYC, they only showed one game! When the Giants or Jets weren't on, I was often disappointed to see a sitcom rerun or something on. With the NFL's popularity, you'd think local networks would play two or three games without question. Fortunately, Sunday Ticket saved my day(s).
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote